Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

so you have no setup as of yet? nothing built?

Sorry, I am actually working on a Dell 9020 SFF. I'm putting that as my hardware, is it ok?

Cheers! Guess I'm really a newbie... Still I'm learning a lot! Thanks
Where it says motherboard in your profile. Enter 9020 SFF if that' what you're using. Thanks. Everyone starts out as a newbie, we've all been there before.

Where it says motherboard in your profile. Enter 9020 SFF if that' what you're using. Thanks. Everyone starts out as a newbie, we've all been there before.

Done, thanks.

One more questions... Sorry all. In the Catalina guide it says: "Delete the two non-Intel ethernet kexts from Clover/kexts/other".

Do I need to leave AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext? I'm asking because it's an Intel but it's not present in the image below the passage I quoted, representing the folder final status.

I'm really sorry to be so pushing, but I'd like to follow the guide properly and I'm waiting to go on.

Last edited:
Oh, thank you!

Downgraded back to Mojave 10.14.6. I always felt performance was better than Catalina and more stable!. GB5 says my ram is 666Mhz!, system report says otherwise. And Trim was enabled this time.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.13.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.11.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.13.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.12.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.40.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.45.00 AM.png

Last edited:
You can open the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension or MEBx.

You access this by pressing the Control and P keys together at boot up. If those keys don't do anything, then it may have been disabled. This is not always easy to do. You have to press both keys at exactly the right time. If you can even get to the sign in screen then ME is enabled.

When Intel ME is disabled there are always problems with integrated graphics. So remove the GT 710, plug in a DP cable to your HP's back panel. Get a low cost DP to HDMI adapter if you need one. Then try programs like iMovie that require graphics acceleration. If they don't work it's likely that ME has been disabled. When testing this make sure the AMT setting is enabled in the BIOS. If it is disabled, graphics acceleration won't work, even if AMT/ME is enabled on your HP from the factory.

The supplier says I could arguably swap out for a Dell 7020 (for less money) which does have the "1"/Enabled ME. I checked on forums but didnt find much anywhere about the real world difference between a Dell 7020 MT and a Dell 9020MT other than on "paper" the RAM limit is 16gb.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two models? Are the motherboards the same, just BIOS different?

My main purpose is going to be video editing, using an AMD card on this rig, but I am assuming the 16Gb limit wont really drag me down (if in fact it even really applies).

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two models?
The only difference is that the 9020s have a software RAID option in the BIOS. The 16GB RAM limit on the 7020 is artificial. 32GB of RAM works just fine.

Here's a good deal on a 9020 USFF with Core i5 and 8gb of ram. These make a good media center PC. I use one for that. It comes with an internal 80+ Gold PSU that is quiet. You can also remove the Optical drive and install a SSD too.

Windows 10 works at 4K OOB if you have a DP 1.2 monitor or even a 4K TV with a 4K capable DP to HDMI 2.0 cable.

Last edited:
Back