Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

When you look at the inside of your side panel what do you see on the sticker like this:

View attachment 459185

It has a "1" and I have manually password protected it as per instructions:

Password protect Intel AMT as directed in the Optiplex 7010/9010 guide: Important Preliminary Steps Step #3. If you open the side panel and see a yellow or white sticker and a 1 on it then AMT is enabled. If you see a 3 then it is disabled. Nothing you need to do. This is important for security reasons. Having it password protected is a very good idea.

and

When you do get in, sign in with "admin" no quotes, as your password. Then you'll want to create a secure, 8 character minimum password. Why do this ? When this is left set to the default admin password it leaves your Dell wide open to remote access over the internet. Even if your Dell is completely powered down with an ethernet cable connected, it enables remote access. There is no easy way of disabling the IME. Leaving it enabled with a secure password is best.

In Summary:
For those buying a complete Dell PC it may be best to ask the seller to look at the sticker on the inside of the side cover. If it has the DEFAULT set to 1 that's perfect. If it's got a 3 or 6, ask them to send a different one. Then you'll know for certain whether or not you'd have to jump through all these hoops just to get integrated Intel graphics to work. For those buying a Dell Optiplex board and not the whole Dell PC, you really have no way of knowing the status until you get it and test.

It has a "1" and I have manually password protected it as per instructions:
Great, that's what you want to have is the #1. What I would suggest is that you completely remove the drive with macOS on it, do the Win10 UEFI install. Do not put the macOS drive back in until you're certain that Windows 10 is booting UEFI by itself. After that you can add the macOS drive, connected to Sata0 and first in boot order, and then try to boot Windows via Clover. If that still doesn't work, try a new SSD of any size, install Windows to it after letting the Windows installer format and partition the clean drive automatically for you.

Last edited:
Hi, great guide! Just picked up a 9020 MT i5-4570 super cheap. I note that the 9020 has "ME DISABLED" as a sticket on the inside case. ;-(. The guide(s) generally say this is a BAD THING.

What is the extent of the impact on the build, is it only HD4600 that's affected? or nothing at all on a 9020? or is there more than that to consider the future on other tweaks needed for Catalina ...etc....? Sorry, just wondering the extent of the issue.

Also wondering if High Sierra is an option, and the same process, albeit older OSX - i ask cos my genuine macbook is on that version so want to align them and upgrade together eventually.

Thanks for the advice and great guide!

I note that the 9020 has "ME DISABLED" as a sticket on the inside case. ;-(. The guide(s) generally say this is a BAD THING.
You have a few choices when you get one of those. 1) Return it for one that has it enabled. Ask the seller to check. You might also get them to send just a motherboard with ME enabled. 2) Use only a dedicated graphics card and not igfx. 3) Go through all the steps to enable Intel ME. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...p-pc-revision-ii.251736/page-194#post-2027452 This is for when someone gets the (6) lockout. Not sure if it all applies to a (3) disabled situation. I've only ever gotten Dell machines with the (1).

As you see, 1 is the easiest and 3 is the most difficult. Up to you to decide how to proceed.

Here's a link to the Intel FIT. https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/HowTo-flash-Intel-Management-Engine-ME-firmware/tree/master/Tools/Flash Image Tool/WIN32

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone help me enable the onboard audio? Under the Clover bootloader, it makes a quick sound there, and testing of the audio there is successful via the onboard speaker. Once in macOS, I have only 2 options - line in and headphones in the same for output any suggestions?. How do I update Clover without breaking the OS? Thank you.

Attachments

• optimac output.jpg
    optimac output.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 40
  • optimac input.jpg
    optimac input.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 40
Hi all,

after a long research I managed to buy an i5-4690, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, Optiplex 9020 SSF.

Now I intend to follow trs96's guide for Catalina, hoping for the best.

My question is: in order to have a dual-boot machine (Catalina-Win10) installed on the same SDD, what should I do? Do I create 2 partitions to begin with? Then install Catalina following the guide? Then what?

Should I invest in a second SSD, would it be better? In that scenario, how would I proceed?

Thanks...

My question is: in order to have a dual-boot machine (Catalina-Win10) installed on the same SDD, what should I do? Do I create 2 partitions to begin with? Then install Catilina following the guide? Then what?

Should I invest in a second SSD, would it be better? In that scenario, how would I proceed?

Thanks...
I would go for the second SSD myself. I have read on other threads that people have created two partitions for each OS, but it seems like a painful experience to me.

I updated Catalina to 10.15.4 and it went smoothly but I lost my 4K HiDPI resolutions with my LG 4K monitors (both DP connections using HD4600 onboard graphics). I had uninstalled all kexts from /Library/Extensions

Reinstalling WhateverGreen and Lilu to L/E seemed to fix it. Hope this is okay.

Back