Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

This one looks to be in great condition:
I'm referring to only the MSI 4GB cards not the XFX branded or any that have to ship from China. The low price PowerColor is DVI output only and intended for mining. The Gigabyte is the weaker 14CU variant and the MSI is 16CU. The 14CU cards are basically an RX 460 rebranded. There are a lot of cards called a 560 that really shouldn't be. Quite a lottery on Ebay as to what you're actually getting. This quote is from gamersnexus.net
Some AMD RX 560 graphics cards are selling with 2 CUs disabled, resulting in 896 streaming processors to the initially advertised 1024 (64 SPs per CU). Here’s the deal: That card already exists, and it’s called an RX 460; in fact, the first two lines of our initial RX 560 review explicitly states that the driving differentiator between the 460 and 560, aside from the boosted clocks, was a pre-enabled set of 2CUs. The AMD RX 460s could already be unlocked to have 16 CUs, and the RX 560 was a card that offered that stock, rather than forcing a VBIOS flash and driver signature.

The RX 560 with 2CUs disabled, then, is not a new graphics card. It is an RX 460. We keep getting requests to test the “new” RX 560 versus the “old” RX 560 with 1024 SPs. We already did: The RX 560 review contains numbers versus the RX 460, which is (literally) an RX 560 14CU card. It is a rebrand, and that’s likely an attempt to dump stock for EOY.

I think Craig can easily get a buyer in the 90-100 dollar range based on what other MSI Aero ITX 4GB cards sell for. The MSI 4GB variants are what most 2010/12 Mac Pro owners buy for a card that doesn't need 6 or 8 pin supplemental power. I think that Apple even put it on their official list of AMD cards that are Metal II capable to run Mojave.

Last edited:
I'm referring to only the MSI 4GB cards not the XFX branded or any that have to ship from China. The low price PowerColor is DVI output only and intended for mining. The Gigabyte is the weaker 14CU variant and the MSI is 16CU. The 14CU cards are basically an RX 460 rebranded. There are a lot of cards called a 560 that really shouldn't be. Quite a lottery on Ebay as to what you're actually getting.

I think Craig can easily get a buyer in the 90-100 dollar range based on what other MSI Aero ITX 4GB cards sell for.

You can list items for anything you like, such as this guy...
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.29.43 AM.png

But if you look at the completed/sold listings, you will see that buyers are not paying anywhere near $100.
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.28.17 AM.png

Once you factor in the eBay and PayPal fees, I think you'd be lucky to end up with $70.

Once you factor in the eBay and PayPal fees, I think you'd be lucky to end up with $70.
Yes, Ebay is going to take a chunk of the sale. There are also local selling options like "Craigslist" that don't take a cut and no shipping costs. Even if Craig gets 75-80 dollars net he's still coming out ahead because he's got a brand new RX570 for gaming and got a decent return on his used card. There's been great deals on Gigabyte cards being closed out lately. Anyone that wants a new one with warranty should get one soon or they'll be gone.

Yes, Ebay is going to take a chunk of the sale. Even if Craig gets 75-80 dollars net he's still coming out ahead because he's got a brand new RX570 for gaming and got a decent return on his used card. There's been great deals on Gigabyte cards being closed out lately. Anyone that wants a new one with warranty should get one soon or they'll be gone.

It's true that the prices of the RX 560s have held pretty steady. I think it's due to the fact that they are PCI-e bus powered and there's a certain amount of value in cards like that. The same is true for single slot and/or low profile cards.

I guess I'm lucky I got my RX 560 at a good price...
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.48.05 AM.png

I don’t prefer sellers who sell tons of the used same models– they might be used for mining or Internet cafes before.

I think I’ll get it listed today and set a 7 day auction, I might even list it ‘buy it now’ for the price I paid and see if I get my money back. I’ll leave a detailed description Mentioning the 2 extra CU’s.

Update.. It's now on Ebay, by next Sunday we will know the value of the MSI AERO RX 560. I'm kind of excited!, pastrychef thinks $70-75, trs96 closer to the $100 mark, that would be a good return. I think some where around $80. Back to cases for the 9020!.

Last edited:
My preferred choice for a 9020 case mod would be a Power Mac G4 "Quicksilver", pictured on the right. Wasn't it in the news recently? was Face... involved? Similar shape and color to a Power Mac G4 M8750, left. I think the Quicksilver looks much better and would make a good case mod. The motherboard is attached to the side panel which is hinged at the bottom, allowing you to open and have access to everything easily. Having only checked the G4 case thread briefly making sure it can close properly is important.

Apple-Powermac-G4-MDD-qe[1].jpg
g4-quicksilver-700[1].jpg

A quick check on eBay found me this. Don't forget about shipping though!. I'm watching a couple, it doesn't matter if they work or not, as long as it's clean and in good shape.

Capture.PNG

If you want to upgrade to an RX 570 for your OptiMac graphics, now is the time. Checkout the $120 price at Newegg.com. By far the best bang for your graphics buck. No rebates to send in and wait for either. Great Deal. At this price don't take a chance on buying a used mining card on Ebay. With this you've got a full warranty and return rights.

The best thing is that it's only 9.1" long so no worries about whether it will fit on the motherboard. It doesn't come close to the Dell MT hard drive cage. No mods required.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-570-gv-rx570gaming-4gd-rev2-0/p/N82E16814932242?

View attachment 454454
Can this video card be used without replacing the power supply?
If not, can you recommend a power supply that works with the Dell motherboard (the one from the first post is no longer sold).

If you want to upgrade to an RX 570 for your OptiMac graphics, now is the time. Checkout the $120 price at Newegg.com. By far the best bang for your graphics buck. No rebates to send in and wait for either. Great Deal. At this price don't take a chance on buying a used mining card on Ebay. With this you've got a full warranty and return rights.

The best thing is that it's only 9.1" long so no worries about whether it will fit on the motherboard. It doesn't come close to the Dell MT hard drive cage. No mods required.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-570-gv-rx570gaming-4gd-rev2-0/p/N82E16814932242?

View attachment 454454
Is there any issue with the 8GB version? I happened to see that there are a few cards that are like $20-$30 more and double the memory.

First off @trs96 - MASSIVE, UNENDING THANKS to you and the rest of the very clever people here at tonymacx86 for the mountain of work you have done that has allowed me to build a kick-ass Hackintosh from secondhand parts and a couple of new purchases. It is simply nothing less than amazing!! I am writing this from my Hackintosh (Catalina) as we speak.

It's been a long process, getting all of the parts sourced and reading a lot of stuff several times to make absolutely sure I understood, but it has been every cent and minute worth it as everything worked in the first go. Compared to what I would have to fork out if I bought a similar Apple-branded computer, it's a steal. Nothing less. And only because of the OptiMac 9020 guide, the UniBeast installer tool with guide, the iMessage guide, the Clover tools - the list goes on and on.

If there is anyway to donate or otherwise support the site, please let me know as this would have been impossible without what I learned here!

I am for now left with three questions:

1. How do I go about formatting and using my 1TB NVMe as the main MacOS drive. The original guide on page 1 of the thread seems to address what to do when you're running Mojave - which doesn't seem to carry over to Catalina. For instance, HFS+ is not available and I am also unsure whether I need to install extra drivers as the drive shows up and formats fine to e.g. Journaled without.

2. I noticed after coming back to the computer after a couple of hours that, while it was still on, I did not get a video signal (from RX570) to the monitor after turning the monitor on again. I had to power off manually and restart. I think it might have been because the computer went to sleep because the monitor had been turned off, so I have disabled this in Energy Saver (see attached screenshot). Any other settings I should be mindful of?

3. How to do dual-boot with Windows 10 to have the option to occasionally play FPS games. I have a dedicated SSD for this so I don't need to interfere with partitioning or touching the MacOS drives. Do I simply unplug the MacOS SSD (SATA), plug the Windows SSD (SATA) and install on it - and then use the one-time boot option from BIOS when I need to?

Thanks in advance for insights provided!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 00.30.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 00.30.03.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 69
Back