Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

My video board has arrived - a Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB for my OptiMac MT build, since the group seems to admire them. I'd list it under my avatar at left, but I can't get the text fields open to edit. Yes, I AM a newbie . . .

To my surprise, I've been lent a 2015 MacBook Air to use to create my installers.
I will be installing to a new blank SSD. Does Trim still need to be set?
Will it be best to start with iBoot 1.01/Snow Leopard, then 10.6.8 Update, then Catalina?
Or is there a simpler way to make the most progress in the least time?

As always, thank you.

To my surprise, I've been lent a 2015 MacBook Air to use to create my installers.
You can skip Snow Leopard altogether. Download Mojave or Catalina on the MBA and then use Unibeast to create the USB.

I will be installing to a new blank SSD. Does Trim still need to be set?
As always, thank you.

Yes, you’ll need to enable trim on your SSD.
sudo trimforce enable

I updated to Catalina through the app store. I was upset for something else and I just hit the update button. It ended up with black screen after half way through. It was something like sleep issue, the main power key of 9020 was controlling the screen dimming in a way. I thought it could be something with graphics card and connected DP cable to original display output of 9020; now I can boot nice and smoothly through intel HD graphics. The strange EFI structure has not changed and I have not made any alteration in Mojave's EFI folder. I followed the mini guide instructions and made a Catalina USB installer but I did not use it.
How can I enable 570 again (I was using it through HDMI port)?

How can I enable 570 again (I was using it through HDMI port)?
I would start with updating the Lilu and WEG kexts. For Catalina you'll want to remove old kexts from /L/E and then place the new ones in Clover/kexts/other on the EFI partition.

I would start with updating the Lilu and WEG kexts. For Catalina you'll want to remove old kexts from /L/E and then place the new ones in Clover/kexts/other on the EFI partition.
It did not help.

Back