Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

haven't been getting issues with 5058.
What is it doing that's an advantage over the older versions ? Anyway I was referring to Mojave and not Catalina. Some of the earlier 50xx versions of Clover had issues with Mojave.

Last edited:
@nicksoph, I have tried changing the Graphics to Auto and it didnt help resolve the problem. With the "Legacy Option Roms" disabled, wake results in a hard hang, whether I use the RX570 or not. Thanks.

Update: Decided to give "Legacy Option Roms" Enabled another shot. Graphics set to "Auto" in BIOS. RX570 is connected to DELL-2408WFP monitor via DP->DP cable. With this option, at least the hack goes to Sleep and Wakes. Only issue is that the monitor shows only a tiny part of the screen and flashes. Mouse-cursor is visible and can move.
Video Clip:

I plugged in another monitor through HDMI->HDMI cable on one of the HDMI ports on the RX570. Surprisingly the screen on the HDMI monitor showed my desktop. See attached pic. The first DP monitor continues flashing though.
Video:

Disconnected the DP cable from the GPU. Now, the HDMI monitor is perfect. Sleep-Wake works perfectly from now-on, with the HDMI monitor alone. I could get similar behavior with a single monitor that has both DP and HDMI inputs.

So, I hoped to go down HDMI only option. But unfortunately this didn't work. When I boot with just the HDMI connected, Clover screen shows funky Green or Pink color background, but Apple logo shows. Then after the GPU gets initialized, the HDMI screen never comes on. It constantly keeps going in and out of Power-save mode with no video. If I can get Clover to boot with just HDMI then we will have a perfectly workable solution. Did a whole bunch of googling and trawling the posts, but no clear suggestions on how to make an HDMI connected monitor to work with Clover. I can upload the problem reporting files if it would help.

I am hoping debugging/fixing this might be easier than dealing with the hard crash that results with 'Legacy Option Roms" disabled.

A minor issue: my HDMI monitor wanted to use YPbPr mode for some reason. Had to edit the EDID to correct it. My Optimac looked glorious :):headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 49
I'm unable to activate or setup it in a way so the display runs at its full resolution (4k) but doing scalling of the UI to 2560x1440 using HiDPI. As suggested I tried with ResXtreme and SwitchResX (the latter the one that have the most options for custom resolutions) but couldn't find a way around it.
Have you seen this older post by Rehabman ? He explains how to get HiDPI to work without having to use SwitchResX.

@bulbmkr you might find the behaviour is not the same depending on which DP port each monitor is plugged into.

Update: Decided to give "Legacy Option Roms" Enabled another shot. Graphics set to "Auto" in BIOS. RX570 is connected to DELL-2408WFP monitor via DP->DP cable. With this option, at least the hack goes to Sleep and Wakes. Only issue is that the monitor shows only a tiny part of the screen and flashes. Mouse-cursor is visible and can move.
Video Clip:

I plugged in another monitor through HDMI->HDMI cable on one of the HDMI ports on the RX570. Surprisingly the screen on the HDMI monitor showed my desktop. See attached pic. The first DP monitor continues flashing though.
Video:

Disconnected the DP cable from the GPU. Now, the HDMI monitor is perfect. Sleep-Wake works perfectly from now-on, with the HDMI monitor alone. I could get similar behavior with a single monitor that has both DP and HDMI inputs.

So, I hoped to go down HDMI only option. But unfortunately this didn't work. When I boot with just the HDMI connected, Clover screen shows funky Green or Pink color background, but Apple logo shows. Then after the GPU gets initialized, the HDMI screen never comes on. It constantly keeps going in and out of Power-save mode with no video. If I can get Clover to boot with just HDMI then we will have a perfectly workable solution. Did a whole bunch of googling and trawling the posts, but no clear suggestions on how to make an HDMI connected monitor to work with Clover. I can upload the problem reporting files if it would help.

I am hoping debugging/fixing this might be easier than dealing with the hard crash that results with 'Legacy Option Roms" disabled.

A minor issue: my HDMI monitor wanted to use YPbPr mode for some reason. Had to edit the EDID to correct it. My Optimac looked glorious :):headbang:

I've found my Display Port driven monitors work best with Vega or my W7000 card. Wonder if the WX5100/WX7100 wouldn't serve you better. Are you using a iMacPro1,1 Model Identifier or something else that relies completely upon the video card? Completely guessing here but video gets more cantankerous when the iGPU is involved.

Have you seen this older post by Rehabman ? He explains how to get HiDPI to work without having to use SwitchResX.
Will check it out, thanks a lot!

Still pursuing a consistent/predicatable "always works" Sleep recipe. Not there yet, but here's a few observations.

My most stable settings (so far) always have BIOS --> General --> Advanced Boot Options --> Enable Legacy Option ROMs" checked (which may be somewhat non-standard, from what I'm seeing). That said, I mostly use discrete GPUs rather than integrated/built-in graphics.

All my 9020 builds which do use integrated graphics are working with the BIOS setting: "Video --> Primary Display --> Intel HD Graphics". This is always with a DP-->DVI cable, plugged into the upper DP port (which probably does not matter).

If I'm using an Nvidia NVS 510 card, I use the BIOS setting: "Video --> Primary Display --> Nvidia", also with a mDP-->DVI cable. Have not yet done any 'headless mode' testing, but that's coming up (since I use Premiere Pro). I'll also use some mDP-->DP and DP-->HDMI cables in that testing.

If I'm using built-in GPU, sometimes the initial Desktop screen will show 'ghosted' text in any windows which auto-open at login (you know, if you've selected "Reopen windows when logging back in"). Simply moving that window cleans it up immediately.

The biggest problem I have with Sleep is that with certain builds, the first time I try to Sleep after a boot it will take two attempts to successfully get to Sleep. Generally it will sleep well after that.

And I'm always using iMac15,1 for my SMBIOS, as the first 9020 I set up has a 4790 and a RX580. And the other CPUs are exclusively 4690 at this point (although I have a "i5 4690S" coming, to test). So I kind of standardized that model.

And bluepr0 may be onto something with this observation:

I noticed something interesting, if I use iMac14,2 I only get Display Sleep option in Energy Saver options (but I do get Power nap). If I use iMac14,3 (with @nicksoph config) then I get Computer sleep and Display sleep (see image below) but no Power nap.
View attachment 428191

I, too, sometimes get the "two sliders", and sometimes only "one slider".

My most stable settings (so far) always have BIOS --> General --> Advanced Boot Options --> Enable Legacy Option ROMs" checked (which may be somewhat non-standard, from what I'm seeing)
I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus RX570 with my i7-4790. I've never been able to get to the desktop with Legacy Option Roms enabled. The end result is always a black screen once it switches to dedicated graphics. Never reaches the sign in screen. I'm also using the 15,1 SMBIOS. This is why the guide's BIOS settings section recommends unchecking the L.O.Roms box.
What brands and models of gfx card are you using ? I've tried HDMI and all 3 DP outputs. Same result.

I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus RX570 with my i7-4790. I've never been able to get to the desktop with Legacy Option Roms enabled. The end result is always a black screen once it switches to dedicated graphics. Never reaches the sign in screen. I'm also using the 15,1 SMBIOS. This is why the guide's BIOS settings section recommends unchecking the L.O.Roms box.
What brands and models of gfx card are you using ? I've tried HDMI and all 3 DP outputs. Same result.
I am using Sapphire RX570 Pulse 4GB UEFI. Card has 2xDP, 2xHDMI and 1xDVI. Optiplex 9020MT, BIOS A24, i5-4570, iMac14,2.

Back