Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I'm looking forward to getting mine after reading through this guide. I found a 9020 SFF Barebone, (No CPU, RAM or HDD) on eBay for $39.99 with free shipping. The seller has 99.6% positive feedback score, so seems reliable.
I have NVMe adapter and drive I can install in the X4 slot, 4 GB ram spare I can use. I'll read about CPU recommendations before purchasing.

Last edited:
I'll read about CPU recommendations before purchasing.
Most every Haswell i5 or i7 has HD4600 graphics so there are many more choices than with the 7010 and Ivy Bridge CPUs. Have a look at the Wiki on Haswell and then search Ebay for deals on one. $40 is quite amazing for a price if it's all in good working order.

Here's a really good deal. i5-4690 for $68. I've got the K version and it's really fast.

If you go with the i5-4690 CPU then iMac 15,1 is the best choice for your sysdef. Especially if you will get the LG 4K monitor. Then you can use HD4600 and get full 4K.

Last edited:
Check to make sure Lilu and Whatevergreen are loading properly. If so, then download http://resxtreme.com/ install that app and see if you get the option for 3840 x 2160. If that doesn't show you the full 4K option then check that your DP cable is capable of a full 4K/60 Hz resolution. A DP 1.2 cable works, a DP 1.1a cable can't do 4K/60.

If you want to remove all doubt about the DP - DP cable try this by Club3D:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767F5DNR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Then you'll be ready to connect to your 8K monitor when you buy one of those.

View attachment 413057
Ok so I switched out the cable and the app shows the 4k resolution but I can't select it under the options. How do I check that both Lilu and whatevergreen are being loaded? I just checked under about this Mac system info extension and I do see both whatevergreen and Lilu anything else I have to change?

Ok so I switched out the cable and the app shows the 4k resolution but I can't select it under the options. How do I check that both Lilu and whatevergreen are being loaded? I just checked under about this Mac system info extension and I do see both whatevergreen and Lilu anything else I have to change?
Try experimenting with the other possible system definitions. You can temporarily select a different config.plist via Clover at boot up. Back up your existing config.plist and change it to a secondary system def. in that .plist. Use either iMac 15,1 or 14,3 and see if that makes a difference. You are using 14,2 currently ? Remember that the best the 14,2 iMac could do is 1440p. iMac 15,1 was the first 5K iMac so that would be my first choice to get a 4K resolution when using onboard DP and HD4600 graphics.

Last edited:
I had my computer yesterday and trying to Hackintosh it. There is menu option missing in the BIOS for video. There is no Primary Display -> Nvidia or AMD HD Graphics, instead the followings shows up. When I choose ATI , the screen goes black completely in even V mode selected.
I will try to connect with auto and see how it goes
Edit1
Auto does the same thing, after a while screen goes completely black

Last edited:
XFX AMD Radeon RX570 4GB
Edit It is the latest BIOS for 9020

XFX AMD Radeon RX570 4GB
That should work when you select ATI Radeon. Do you have Legacy Option Roms disabled or enabled ?
If you are using an HDMI output try a DP output from your 570.

That should work when you select ATI Radeon. Do you have Legacy Option Roms disabled or enabled ?
If you are using an HDMI output try a DP output from your 570.
Legacy options enabled, it is DP

Back