Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

If it's not loading you don't have CPU PM. It might look that you do in IPG but actually it isn't working fully.
Quick look and as you say - x86pp not loading
But CPU PM seems to be working at least the Speed stepping seems normal - so the question is - Is it better to have it as it is OR changing so x86PP actualy loads.

That it loads seems not to be a good sign of it working - (not loading 800MHz-3.3GHz - Loading 2.9-3.3Ghz) what else does it control? Why would it be good to have it loaded given that it clearly isnt managing the cpu clock speeds?

Edit: Just had a look at CPU using hackintool (output attached) - seems everythings working?, despite x86PP not loading.
Might it not be needed here? I read around this but dont have the general knowledge to be clear on whats being said, mention is being made of xcpm being enabled by default on Haswells but what that means in general or here is ...?

If plugin-type is ticked, the machine loses speedstepping but has the x86pp loaded - if its NOT ticked Speedstep works.
Also able to get speedstepping with PluginType ticked as well as Generate P+C states but then X86pp does not seem to get loaded.
Reverted to no ticks in ACPI/SSDT section and waiting.
Noticed that Hackintool picks it up as an Iris Pro and not a HD 4600 - might platform ID's and x86pp might be clashing?

Attachments

• dell7020_143.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I am wondering about bluetooth. Will this work with 9020 nice and smoothly?
Those have worked for everyone in the 7010 thread so I'd think it will. Connect to the internal BT header and it should work with no problems. If not we'll figure out how to make it work. Let us know how it goes.

Those have worked for everyone in the 7010 thread so I'd think it will. Connect to the internal BT header and it should work with no problems. If not we'll figure out how to make it work. Let us know how it goes.
Ordered. I hope I can manage 9020 :)

So I finally was able to boot from the NVMe. I did a fresh install, but, instead of using a USB to create the install, I used a old SATA drive I had laying around. It right away recognized the NVMe on Clover Boot Screen. Not sure what I was doing wrong in the USB Installer that I couldn't get it to recognize it. I will be testing the new 4K monitor in the upcoming days. I been real busy and just gave this one more shot and it worked.

Alternate Monitor Choice for your Dell OptiMac

S2419HN

https://www.newegg.com/dell-s2419hn-23-8-full-hd/p/N82E16824260589
Newegg has these Dell IPS monitors on sale for $140. They are 24" IPS monitors at 1080p native resolution. If you don't want 4K and 27" of screen real estate these are a good second choice. I use a 24" LG 1080p IPS monitor for Internet surfing and everyday use. Text is sharp and the perfect size for doing a lot of reading of online content. This size monitor is also much more energy efficient (18W typical) if you have it on all day long for work. Since these cost less than half the price of the LG 4K you could also buy two for a dual screen setup. The bezels are nice and thin so it would work quite well. Could also use it for photo and video work.

Consistent and rich colors: A wide viewing angle enabled by In-plane switching technology lets you see vibrant colors—with greater than 99% sRGB color coverage.

Last edited:
Get a new 500W Seasonic S12 III PSU from Newegg for under 25 USD :D
This offer at this price is only good till June 30th, 2019. This is a good low cost replacement PSU for your Optiplex Mini Tower.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12iii-bronze-series-ssr-500gb3-500w/p/N82E16817151226?Item=N82E16817151226

This Seasonic has a 5 year warranty, silent fan and best of all, fits easily into your Dell Optiplex MT with no mods needed. Use the promo code, send in the $15 rebate and get free shipping by paying with PayPal and it should cost under $25. Even if you don't have a Graphics card that requires extra power you should buy one anyway to keep as a replacement if your Dell PSU ever dies on you. Dell replacements cost about 20 dollars on Ebay.

IMPORTANT: Remember that you will also need this 24 pin to 8 pin adapter for your 7020/9020 MT

Last edited:
So I finally got around to unpacking the monitor and using the Display port I can only get 2k not 4k resolution. 2560x1440 is the option I see and lower resolution. I have tried both bios primary display as Intel and Auto both give me the same results. Not sure what else I might be missing.

So I finally got around to unpacking the monitor and using the Display port I can only get 2k not 4k resolution. 2560x1440 is the option I see and lower resolution. I have tried both bios primary display as Intel and Auto both give me the same results. Not sure what else I might be missing.
Check to make sure Lilu and Whatevergreen are loading properly. If so, then download http://resxtreme.com/ install that app and see if you get the option for 3840 x 2160. If that doesn't show you the full 4K option then check that your DP cable is capable of a full 4K/60 Hz resolution. A DP 1.2 cable works, a DP 1.1a cable can't do 4K/60.

If you want to remove all doubt about the DP - DP cable try this by Club3D:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767F5DNR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Then you'll be ready to connect to your 8K monitor when you buy one of those.

Last edited:
Back