Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

@trs96 OK, so after creating the new flash drive, I had to disable secure boot in order to allow me to enable Legacy Boot Option. Now I'm attempting to install it will let you know how it goes.

Are all NVMe supported or only certain ones work? I had one that I kept from my Alienware. It formats correctly and installs but, after the first reboot, it does not appear on the Clover menu. I can only see the USB drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all NVMe drives are going to work but more likely is that the BIOS is not set correctly or the drivers for the NVMe drive on the booting device are missing, ie NvmExpressDxe-64 must be in the right folder in the EFI partition of the drive where Clover runs from, ie NOT the NVMe.

The NVMe drive cannot boot Clover because Clover needs the NVMe drivers loaded before the drive shows in Clover, so the Clover must run from a SATA or USB drive (USB causes a BIOS warning on boot that needs user interaction but otherwise works) and only once Clover has loaded (and loaded the NVMe the driver from SATA or USB) can OSX boot from NVMe. If you look at my notes on the dual ssd pci card - it is effectively the same thing (one of the drives is connected to the motherboards Sata 0 port) - and you may find the notes there useful.

Take your time and step through the process - whenever an option is not present or not like it mentions in the instructions come back here and report what you see.

I'd start with disabling the Intel Management Functions to reduce complexity but can't advise on how, as my machines came with it disabled.

Last edited:
MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8GB @ Newegg $160
I've never seen a new 8GB RX 580 at this price. It is after $20 rebate and Promo code VGASAV27Y for $15 off.
You'll need to have the 7020/9020 MT and an upgraded 500W + PSU to use this. It's really the best choice if you want to game and edit Video in FCP X with your hackintosh. It is a limited time offer so get one soon if it works in your setup. Rebate is good through 6-30-19.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-rx-580-armor-8g-oc/p/N82E16814137118

The Gigabyte Equivalent to this card (with a backplate) is currently selling for $170 AR.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-gv-rx580gaming-8gd/p/N82E16814125962

Last edited:
Not all NVMe drives are going to work but more likely is that the BIOS is not set correctly or the drivers for the NVMe drive on the booting device are missing, ie NvmExpressDxe-64 must be in the right folder in the EFI partition of the drive where Clover runs from, ie NOT the NVMe.

The NVMe drive cannot boot Clover because Clover needs the NVMEe drivers loaded before the drive shows in Clover, so the Clover must run from a SATA or USB drive (USB causes a BIOS warning on boot that needs user interaction but otherwise works) and only once Clover has loaded (and loaded the NVMe the driver from SATA or USB) can OSX boot from NVMe. If you look at my notes on the dual ssd pci card - it is effectively the same thing (one of the drives is connected to the motherboards Sata 0 port) - and you may find the notes there useful.

Take your time and step through the process - whenever an option is not present or not like it mentions in the instructions come back here and report what you see.

Id start with disabling the Intel Management Functions to reduce complexity but can't advise on how, as my machines came with it disabled.
So the NVMe drive should be in the same folder as the hfiplus or what folder does it go on? That's how I had it structured not sure if it's in the wrong folder. I have it in the UniBeast USB drive I created under EFI Clover Drive64uefi.

So the NVMe drive should be in the same folder as the hfiplus or what folder does it go on?
If you mean the - NVMe driveR should be in the same folder as the hfiplus, then yes same folder but check its both in the SATA drive EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI and the same folder on the USB's EFI partition.

If you want to understand whats going on on the file system, you may find this useful, but I suspect you will need to do some more general reading around hackintoshing, and follow the instructions from the very beginning and stop and ask advice at any stage it is not clear or as expected.

Last edited:
If you mean the - NVMe driveR should be in the same folder as the hfiplus, then yes same folder but check its both in the SATA drive EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI and the same folder on the USB's EFI partition.

If you want to understand whats going on on the file system, you may find this useful, but I suspect you will need to do some more general reading around hackintoshing, and follow the instructions from the very beginning and stop and ask advice at any stage it is not clear or as expected.
I was talking about the folder structure with the downloaded driver files from the guide. Meant to say hfsplus.efi file and the NvmExpressDxe-64 driver. I'll read around thanks.

My set of instructions has a zip with them all in the right place (including NVMe driver) - the only difference in the files between trs96's files and mine is the clover.plist - if you keep your old one safe or rename it you can replace. (note the instructions on mine overwrite 'config.plist') or take a look at the zip and compare the files in it to your EFI folders (Any file in the zip must be in a similar location on the drive.) - Note: the zip only contains the additional files needed after a standard install.

Last edited:
@nicksoph I'll look at it when I get back home. I was able to boot and install off a mechanical drive but it's so slow lol.

The process I followed for installing to NVMe
1. Add the NVMe driver to install USB (in folder mentioned above).
2. Installed OSX from the USB into the NVMe drive
3. Installed Clover on SATA drive
I suspect that when I do it again (later in week) I will swap 2 and 3 around but in any case I won't be following the original convoluted path that proceeded so things may be clearer to me.

Last edited:
I was able to boot and install off a mechanical drive
Then your halfway there - I'd advise checking both the USB and SATA installs of Clover have all the drivers on. Then check your BIOS and plug in your USB - boot from SATA and select USB Install at clover screen, from there install OSX and choose the NVMe drive. After install, you should be able to boot from the SATA and select the NVMe drive to load OSX from. Later set the NVMe drive to default in Clover but the SATA as the 1st boot device in bios.

Last edited:
Back