Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Is there a converter that will allow say a noctua to connect and be controlled with pwm and not cause errors?

Is there a converter that will allow say a noctua to connect and be controlled with pwm and not cause errors?
I've tried the ones on Ebay and never got any PWM control. They stay at a constant speed no matter what the system is doing. Fan controller apps for Macs don't see the fans at all so those don't work either. I think the best way to go is to buy Dell OEM replacements that don't have years of wear and tear on them. The noise level is ok but not at the level silent computing enthusiasts have to get to feel good about them.

Last edited:
I was looking at these they claim they work.
Probably worth buying one and testing it. The ten dollar price is high for fan cable but if it does give PWM control it may be worth the cost. The ones from China via Ebay cost under two dollars each.

Makes sense - I'm not following that advice because I don't care about the Spectre Exploits.
I looked at the security bulletins for A12 and A13 versions of the 7020 BIOS and found they don't have any CPU microcode patches for Spectre or Meltdown. So A13 is good to go for anyone wanting to avoid those CPU patches on their system.

For anyone who wants to guarantee no one else is hacking into their hackintosh, flash up to A17 and password protect your Intel ME (management engine) software so that is not wide open for manipulation. See the 7010/9010 Optiplex guide for more on that.

Here's the Wiki on Intel AMT and the Intel ME. For anyone interested in what it is and what it's for.
If you have an Optiplex 7020 or 9020 and an i5 or i7 CPU it is operational on your system. A few might have it disabled from the factory but those are few and far between. Check the sticker inside the removable side panel of your Dell. 1 means enabled and 3 disabled. As a final security measure turn on your macOS Firewall via system prefs and the enable the Stealth mode. Keeps your machine from being visible on the internet.

Last edited:
I looked at the security bulletins for A12 and A13 ...
I didnt look as carefully as I should of - as soon as I saw the mention of 'Intel' I jumped to Spectre - Ill update the A11 to A13 on the next rebuild.

So i'm having a issue with the system i changed the bios settings currently on A23 the side panel shows a 1 but i cannot access the menu with Ctrl+P. Secondly when i do press F12 i get to the Boot mode but i can't select a boot device i see under other options Bios Setup Bios Flash Update Diagnostics and Change Boot Mode Settings. Any help with this would be appreciated.

when i do press F12 i get to the Boot mode but i can't select a boot device i see under other options Bios Setup Bios Flash Update Diagnostics and Change Boot Mode Settings
Try F2, the key to get into the BIOS, is that working ? Make sure your keyboard is in USB 2.0 port preferably below the ethernet jack. Do all the basics like set to Sata AHCI mode. UEFI booting and you can leave CSM/Legacy Option Roms enabled.

Last edited:
Try F2, the key to get into the BIOS, is that working ? Make sure your keyboard is in USB 2.0 port preferably below the ethernet jack. Do all the basics like set to Sata AHCI mode. UEFI booting and you can leave CSM/Legacy Option Roms enabled.
F2 does work. I think when I formated the drive it did it as a master partion instead of guid so I created the flash drive again. F12 and F2 both work just not the cntrl p combo.

F12 and F2 both work just not the cntrl p combo.
You can always password protect Intel AMT later on it's not necessary to do right away.

Back