Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Anyone has successfully installed Mojave with Quadro K600? Install Mojave or Catalina stuck at last stage which I believe is graphic issue. I changed bios setting (Enable Legacy Option ROMs, Primary Video to Auto or Nvidia, VT), no luck.

I can install High Sierra without glitch but wake up function does not work though sleeping is fine. Bios setting with Checked Enable Legacy Option ROMs wake up will reboot, and unchecked Enable Legacy Option ROMs got black screen.

Any idea will be appreciated.

Install Mojave or Catalina stuck at last stage which I believe is graphic issue. I changed bios setting (Enable Legacy Option ROMs, Primary Video to Auto or Nvidia, VT), no luck.
You can always remove the K600 and install with HD4600. Leave graphics (Primary Video) set to auto and LORs should be disabled. After the install is done then the K600 should work.

"To my surprise, I've been lent a 2015 MacBook Air to use to create my installers."

What a spectacular failure. The owner can't remember his user name or password, has the security options set tighter than tight, and that makes the MBA hard drive unchangeable. Carbon Copy Cloner can't save a change even to a USB stick (let alone clone the drive prior to wiping it to start over), and neither can Apple Disk Utilities.

Back to the 10.6.8 approach tomorrow morning.

"To my surprise, I've been lent a 2015 MacBook Air to use to create my installers."

What a spectacular failure. The owner can't remember his user name or password, has the security options set tighter than tight, and that makes the MBA hard drive unchangeable. Carbon Copy Cloner can't save a change even to a USB stick (let alone clone the drive prior to wiping it to start over), and neither can Apple Disk Utilities.

Back to the 10.6.8 approach tomorrow morning.
Use the MacBook Air to create your own Mac App Store account. Then download Catalina to his MBA. When the installer's opening screen comes up, quit the installaer. Now make the UniBeast USB installer on the MBA.

has the security options set tighter than tight, and that makes the MBA hard drive unchangeable.
Have you tried any or all of these:

An alternative if those don't get you in. Boot from a USB and then nuke and pave. Format the drive completely and clean reinstall macOS.

Last edited:
Try booting from the USB (new one for Catalina) and see if the 570 works then.
No it hangs after middle bit with notorious oblique sign, do you think it could be a BIOS thing? I havent changed anything though...

Last edited:
No it hangs after middle bit with notorious oblique sign, do you think it could be a BIOS thing? I havent changed anything though...
Try the Primary Video option of Auto if you have it set on AMD HD right now. See if that changes anything.

Use the MacBook Air to create your own Mac App Store account. Then download Catalina to his MBA. When the installer's opening screen comes up, quit the installaer. Now make the UniBeast USB installer on the MBA.
Thank you, Stork - a new approach. I'll give it a try.

I will post again when I receive the Fenvi HB-1200 card and modify a full profile bracket to fit the Fenvi card to allow for using the proper slot space but offsetting it from the motherboard so the riser connector has room to fit onto the HB-1200 without interfering with the white PCI connector.

As promised, I am posting to show the result of my mod of the HB-1200.

Below is the Fenvi HB-1200, stripped of the original bracket. I had an old one lying around that I drilled the appropriate holes in to accomodate the Fenvi. Remember to offset the holes in the bracket so that the card doesn't interfere with the connectors on the motherboard when the whole assembly is inserted.

The Fenvi came with a couple of yellow caps for the SMC connectors - using an X-Acto knife, I carved off a ring of each to use as a washer/spacer for the assembly. Waste not, want not :)

IMG-0672.jpg

Next, I fitted the assembly outside the case to see if everything seemed solid and in place. A word of warning here - the green status diode is a bit fragile and mounted in a housing that is soldered to the PCB. Be careful to align this with the hole or it will be pushed away from the bracket and might get damaged. Since the whole thing is held together by the antennas when you fasten them on the SMC connectors and tighten everything together, this is worth paying attention to. And you will have to seat the bracket without card first and then align the card and finally add and tighten the antennas last. It's a bit fiddly but is tight once it's done!

IMG-0673.jpg

From the outside, without antennas (I am supporting the card with my hand inside the case):
IMG-0676.jpg

It's a tight fit inside the case
(if you have an NVMe adapter in there, I suggest removing it first and re-seating it when you're done)
IMG-0677.jpg

Final shot from outside, everything assembled
IMG-0679.jpg

I am really happy with this solution since I don't have to drill holes in the case itself. That would require me to remove everything from the case and thoroughly cleaning it afterwards, to avoid having metal shavings finding their way into small nooks and crannies.

I have tested in Windows 10 (the install that the 9020 came with anyway) that everything works - the riser cable is perfect length, and I am happy that it is extra shielded compared to the budget versions out there.

So come weekend, I will remove the Windows SSD and start installing MacOS Catalina - yay!

Back