Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Thanks for this! But I still can't get HDMI sound. I used Integrated Graphics, and not 4K monitor. Is that same? I appreciate if the whole EFI folder can be uploaded.

Thanks for this! But I still can't get HDMI sound. I used Integrated Graphics, and not 4K monitor. Is that same? I appreciate if the whole EFI folder can be uploaded.

This is my 10.15.2 install connected to a LG TV. HDMI audio works if you follow the guide and use the provided files. Note that you can't control the volume of HDMI audio via your hack. Use the controls on your remote or the monitor itself. I'm connected to a 1080p monitor and it works. Adapting DP to HDMI via a cable.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 6.56.11 PM.png

This is my 10.15.2 install connected to a LG TV. HDMI audio works if you follow the guide and use the provided files. Note that you can't control the volume of HDMI audio via your hack. Use the controls on your remote or the monitor itself. I'm connected to a 1080p monitor and it works. Adapting DP to HDMI via a cable.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 6.56.11 PM.png
I will check all my files. Thanks!

BTW which 5K monitor did you end up going with and did it work with the WX4100 ?

Ended up getting the Dell UP2715K instead.

Based on a comment I found from @skittlebrau, I added the agdpmod=pikera boot flag and it worked like a charm with the 2DP connections.

I added it first as a temporary boot flag and then added it as a permanent boot flag in my config.plist once I confirmed that it works. It's an option under the Whatevergreen boot flag options.

Apologize that I couldn't figure out how to rotate the photo on my phone.

20200125_215924.jpg
20200125_220501.jpg

Ended up getting the Dell UP2715K instead.

Based on a comment I found from @skittlebrau, I added the agdpmod=pikera boot flag and it worked like a charm with the 2DP connections.

Glad to hear it worked well for you.

Funnily enough, my Dell UP2715K is much more reliable in macOS than in Windows.

There's something about AMD's Windows drivers that causes problems when certain port combinations are used and once in a while you'll get screen-splitting issues which require a power cycle. NVIDIA GPUs don't seem to have this problem in Windows.

Glad to hear it worked well for you.

Funnily enough, my Dell UP2715K is much more reliable in macOS than in Windows.

There's something about AMD's Windows drivers that causes problems when certain port combinations are used and once in a while you'll get screen-splitting issues which require a power cycle. NVIDIA GPUs don't seem to have this problem in Windows.

Interesting about Windows. I have a separate SSD with a Win10 Pro install, but I haven't even started the process of considering how to dual boot.

Good to know about potential issues with other side of the spectrum.

View attachment 446702

My Optiplex 9020:
Small form factor
CPU: i7-4790;
ram:32GB;
GPU: Intel Integrated Graphics HD4600;
Display: DELL U27170;
Connection: Display port ---mini display port;

Following the #1 post reconfigured EFI folder, mostly working great! However,
HDMI sound works on upper display port, not lower display port,
Sleep--wake works fine if I make mac sleep by clicking "Sleep", but if I turn off monitor and turn it on, monitor won't get signal for mac.
These are not big issues, but hope can get through them. I uploaded whole EFI for reviewing! Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
@andey21 - HDMI sound seems only to work on the upper DP for everyone (Anybody have it working on both?)

Sleep should work without you forcing it - check your BIOS setting for Legacy Roms - Look at the alternative thread for differences in BIOS/Config.plist settings between having/not having an additional GPU.

The only issue I have with sleep relates to Chrome not behaving well and keeping the machine from sleeping (see PMSET command)

@nicksoph
Thanks for reply. I already checked "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" of the BIOS setting.

I have a separate SSD with a Win10 Pro install, but I haven't even started the process of considering how to dual boot.
Unless you like headaches and frustration I'd suggest keeping windows on its own separate PC.

Back