Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

@vbmota if the file NvmeExpressDxe-64.efi is not loaded the NVME will not be available to install to - but if you have the drive and are formatting it, you should not Format it with APFS but follow the instructions and it will be converted to APFS during the install.
EDIT: The above is True for older versions of OSX and Im not certain if it is in Catalina but suspect that it is.
Ok, I will try a clean install and see what happens. Until now I have only cloned the units. Tks.

Ok, I will try a clean install and see what happens. Until now I have only cloned the units. Tks.

I've been able to 'update' to Catalina directly from Mojave on NVMe. Having Clover sitting on its own HDD and keeping just macOS on the NVMe lets it update like a real Mac. Are you certain you have the NVMeExpressDxe-64 driver installed in the EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI folder?. You haven't been very clear in your response.

@craighazan yes, with NVMeExpressDxe-64 driver installed
I did a clean install and saw the issue... is another thing.
Clover was not permitting me to see two drives APFS at same time! (one NVME and other with SSD).
I am not sure why, so I will use only APFS on NVME and will format the other with HFS+.

I feel like a total moron. I have followed the all the steps to create the bootable USB and downloaded/copied over all the files to the appropriate folders in the EFI folder. The install starts and then it "reboots" like suggested but it never actually turns back on. The LED on the power button just flashes white and it never actually restarts. I have to manually do it and then it just keeps trying to install and never get's to the actual mac setup. Any suggestions or obvious thing I messed up??

@craighazan yes, with NVMeExpressDxe-64 driver installed
I did a clean install and saw the issue... is another thing.
Clover was not permitting me to see two drives APFS at same time! (one NVME and other with SSD).
I am not sure why, so I will use only APFS on NVME and will format the other with HFS+.

Which Clover version are you using?

I feel like a total moron. I have followed the all the steps to create the bootable USB and downloaded/copied over all the files to the appropriate folders in the EFI folder. The install starts and then it "reboots" like suggested but it never actually turns back on. The LED on the power button just flashes white and it never actually restarts. I have to manually do it and then it just keeps trying to install and never get's to the actual mac setup. Any suggestions or obvious thing I messed up??

Dell use the flashing Amber power button to denote an error. But if its flashing white that is usually a sleep indicator. Have you configured the bios exactly as suggested?

I followed the tutorial but let me go back and start fresh. I'll do that and then come back if it fails again

I followed the tutorial but let me go back and start fresh. I'll do that and then come back if it fails again

If you didn't already, put a new battery in it while you are in there, I had trouble with mine until I replaced the Bios Battery.

Ok. I'll have to grab one tomorrow as it's late here. I tried again and the BIOS settings were identical to the tutorial, and I still go the flashing white light no amber. FWIW I followed a vanilla install and Mojave installed, and I could boot to it multiple times. But then I tried to do the kexts/efi stuff on the second half of this tutorial, and it hung and wouldn't boot w/o the usb in. Here are the 2 things that "caught my eye" but they aren't obvious errors but maybe you will notice something I don't. Again i'll grab a new battery tomorrow and try again after softball. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• hack1.jpg
    hack1.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 62
  • hack2.jpg
    hack2.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 52
CVS had a 2032 CMOS battery so grabbed one and still getting the same results. I triple checked the bios settings and still getting the flashing white light on the power button.

Back