Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Thanks Trs, I ordered one direct from Hideez, they had a 25% off deal going. Its coming by canoe from the US though so won't get it for 2 to 4 weeks apparently. Amazon and ebay were much the same though. I'll post results when i get it.
Great ! Once you've got it then run this terminal command.

Those are misleading. They are saying it's both Lexa and Polaris. The cores/shaders are the most important to look at. If it doesn't have 640+ cores/shaders/stream processors, then don't buy one. To be more specific, it has to be Polaris 21 based.

View attachment 535880

Not a single Polaris 21 AMD RX550 or 560 has 512 shaders in it. If you see 512 then it is a Lexa card.

View attachment 535882

Sapphire quietly introduced a slightly bolstered Radeon RX 550 graphics card that's based on the "Polaris 21" silicon, rather than the Polaris 20 "Lexa" silicon, called simply the Pulse Radeon RX 550 2GD5/4GD5 (model: 11268-16 for 2 GB and 11268-15 for 4 GB). Consumers should pay attention to the model number. "Polaris 21" is the same chip AMD bases the RX 560 on. This particular card has 10 out of 16 compute units physically present on the chip, which translates to 640 stream processors, higher than the 512 stream processors the RX 550 is originally endowed with.

For the Sapphire RX550 look for this title:

PULSE RX 550 4G G5 640SP (SP or stream processors are also called shaders)

Wow thanks for this detailed info

Wow thanks for this detailed info
Here's the specs an RX560 should have. Most of those work but the XFX models don't. Stay away from those.
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Radeon RX 560D
  • Interface: PCI Express 3.0
  • Core Name: Polaris 21
  • Cores: 896 Units

Here's the specs an RX560 should have. Most of those work but the XFX models don't. Stay away from those.
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Radeon RX 560D
  • Interface: PCI Express 3.0
  • Core Name: Polaris 21
  • Cores: 896 Units
I'll keep that in mind, thanks

After the Home Page spotlight of this "Deal of the Day" the 9020 SFF with i5-4570 has gone up to the #3 best seller in Amazon tower computers ! Who says the hackintosh is dead ? Also have a look at the Z690 Aero G golden build which also proves otherwise. Those builds (with an i7) are performing as well as the M1 Max MBPs.

Screen Shot 15.jpg

For those that want to game via Windows 10 in their MT OptiMac, here's an excellent value case option. The Cougar MX410 Mesh-G is selling for just $49 at Newegg. Ships directly from Newegg, not a 3rd party seller. Lets you connect up all your 4 front panel USB 2 and 3 ports. Use the adapter by Harbin Repairs for the front panel audio and USB connections. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264733441811

https://www.newegg.com/p/11-553-058

Screen Shot 25.jpg
1639020750628.png

You probably won't need a liquid cooler and this is an ATX size case so there is plenty of room for any adapters to fit the board. Comes with one RGB exhaust fan. The Green Dell PCB actually looks rather good in an all black case. Note that the $50 version from Newegg doesn't come with the 4 RGB fans as shown. Just one black exhaust fan.

Last edited:
I know that 15,1 lost support in Monterey but some people have used iMac 17,1 or Mac mini 7,1 instead with success.
Hi all. It's been almost 6 months since the post above. Anybody in this thread has switched to Monterey?

Me.

I switched to the Macmini7,1 definition before upgrading directly from Big Sur to Monterey. Everything works OK.

Currently I'm using OpenCore 0.7.5 and I'll upgrade to 0.7.6 in the coming days.
Thanks! I completely overlooked that thread (classic me). Actually, I did some research and ended up not upgrading my OptiMac to Monterey.

I agree with trs96; no Monterey features to appeal to me so far...
Monterey does have a long list of new features, most of which are of no interest to me. One I would like, Universal Control, will likely never work on an Intel hackintosh. Have a look at some of these and see what you think. To me they sound like gimmicks more than useful features. "Select a different color for the left and right eye of your Memoji." That's a key feature I really need. Not really.

Instead of upgrading Big Sur to Monterey, I have completed a dual boot configuration for Windows 10, that neglected more than a year.

My Windows 10 is on a different SSD in MBR. Every time I needed to use it, I went to BIOS and turn Legacy Boot ROM on then pressed F12 to select Win 10 volume manually.

This time I tweaked it as follows;

1) Converted Win 10 SSD from MBR to UEFI by referring to the site following:

2) Changed settings in BIOS settings:

- Secure Boot Option > disabled (I had had it disabled already. I don't know why it went back to enabled)
- General > Boot Sequence > removed "Windows Boot Manager" entry

That's all. Now I get OpenCore GUI listing both Win 10 SSD and Big Sur SSD. No issues with using both.

Back