Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

9020 SFF with i7-4790 at Newegg

Chipset: Intel Q87 Express Chipset

Processor: Core i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz

Memory Installed: 8 GB DDR3

Memory Supported: Up to 4 DIMM slots; Non-ECC dual-channel 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM; up to 32GB

Hard Drive: 1TB

Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW

Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600

This is selling for $190 on Newegg right now. As shown in the previous post, it's simple to max out the ram and to add your own SSD to get a very capable system for not a lot of money. The Windows 10 Pro product key will be embedded in the BIOS. Will activate automatically once you install Windows and connect to the internet.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-115W9?

These Core i7 versions usually sell for over $300 on both Amazon and Newegg.
This is currently even better than any 9020 SFF with this CPU you'll find on Ebay.

Last edited:

Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF PC Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM

Selling for $129.99 on Newegg today. Seller is CDR Global who has a good seller rating.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 9.42.57 AM.png

You can't do much better than this for the price you pay. These can run Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey.
Windows 11 can also be installed or you can simply use Win10 Pro that is pre-installed.

So if you need a second hackintosh or one for a parent or one of your kids this is the way to save money and get a great and versatile PC. Looks like they only have 3 at this price.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-5NET6?Item=9SIASS5DY25923

Last edited:
Finally, make the following five changes to enable EHCI handoff and
set XHCI to enabled etc. using the setup_var command:

Code:
setup_var 0x2 0x1

setup_var 0x144 0x1

setup_var 0x15A 0x2

setup_var 0x146 0x0

setup_var 0x147 0x0

SOLVED by my own search... :shifty:
I'm working on a Dell Precision T1700, and just wanting to verify my BIOS changes. I suspect they will all be the same as what's written in the guide.

I am able to find all vars except '0x2'. Can you give me a hint as to what this var is exactly, or how you found it for the 9020? Is it 'AHCI Mode' or 'XHCI Mode'? Thanks

===edit===
I found the Big Sur guide and verified alongside this screenshot. The Dell T1700 bios seems to be the same. All of these variables match what I'm seeing in the Dell T1700 A28 BIOS file, where they are found in: 'Section_Freeform_subtype_GUID_97E409E6-4CC1-11D9-81F6-000000000000_Setup_SetupPrep IFR.txt'

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Last edited:
I've been gone from this forum (and my build) for about a year. I have forgotten much.

My attempts at downloading a Mojave OS installer from Apple using Safari have failed. The download size figure stops, claims completion (6.08 gig, I think), but the progress bar stops about 15% from its right end. Then I get an error message about the download failing.

There are now some failed downloads in my Downloads Folder.

I'm attempting this using a 2015 MacBook Air, 4 Gig, which is running Big Sur OS 11.4.

Any ideas on what I've screwed up, besides getting out of bed this morning?

Since I know nothing about running scripts, I started the link. It appears to be making the same shortfall as last time.
It completed the download, but then began to run the installer on this MacBook Air.

I'm sure I'm making a noobie mistake.

then began to run the installer on this MacBook Air.
All you need to do is right click the Install icon in the dock and choose "quit" and it won't install. Don't click on it or it will open the installer.

All you need to do is right click the Install icon in the dock and choose "quit" and it won't install. Don't click on it or it will open the installer.
Thank you. I found the Install package in the Applications folder before you told me to look in the dock.

There's a great semi-modular PSU deal today and tomorrow at Newegg. For replacing the MT stock PSU. This allows you to use an RX 570/580 or the newer RX 6600 XT GPU (Monterey only). Note that the 3 fan versions and some dual fan models of the 6600 XT are probably too long to fit in the OEM Dell Optiplex case. If you've moved your 7020/9020 board to a new case it should be no problem.

Last edited:
Back