Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I connected the Noctua NF-R8 redux instead of my beQuiet rear case fan, just to see if it would operate, using the same 5>4 adapter cable for connecting to the Dell board that is used for the beQuiet fan. Bios spit out the "rear case fan failure" error and held up boot.
I've heard of this happening with other brands of fans too. Are you using the stock Dell CPU cooler fan ? The splitter sounds like a simple solution. I'm not sure if Bjay77 had ever tried this or not. He hasn't signed in for about 6 weeks.

I connected the Noctua NF-R8 redux instead of my beQuiet rear case fan, just to see if it would operate, using the same 5>4 adapter cable for connecting to the Dell board that is used for the beQuiet fan. BIOS spit out the "rear case fan failure" error and held up boot. I then installed a PWM fan splitter cable
I hooked up a fan controller (sorry I only could find the german product on Amazon) between the Noctuas's and the fan adapter. First I also got the failure errors but with speeding up a little bit with the controller the errors are gone and the system is still quiet.

but with speeding up a little bit with the controller
Do you mean increasing the fan's RPMs ? What rate was it that made it work ?

I wonder if the current draw of the Noctua fans when they start up is so low that it isn't enough for BIOS to say that a fan is present. The rated spec of the NF-R8 redux is 0.06A, super low, whereas the Sunon-branded Dell fan from my 9020 is rated at 0.35A, nearly 6x the current.

Last edited:
Looks like the 9020 SFF is selling in large numbers on Amazon. This is already upgraded with 16GB of memory and an SSD, what most everyone who buys one should be doing anyway. It is number 3 on the list with the 7010 at a close number 4. At number 1 is a $2463 dollar Core i9 gaming desktop by HP. Includes an RTX 3080 which will never work in a hackintosh.

Screen Shot.jpg

The i7-4790 version of the SFF is coming in at the #6 position. This has 16GB and a larger SSD. Good choice if you need more processing power for any reason.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you mean increasing the fan's RPMs ? What rate was it that made it work ?
Sorry for the late answer, but due to sickness I couldn't earlier.
With the lowest settings I got the error message but a sightly increase of the voltage that the fan is spinning a little bit faster the error is gone. I really don't know the RPM but the fans are very quiet. The minimum is 350 rpm so I guess it must be something like 500 (roughly estimated)

Alternative low cost Kepler card for the Dell Optiplex MT

The 2GB Asus GDDR5 GT 710s have become more scarce and prices have gone up. Amazon has the Quadro K2000 with dual DP 1.2 ports. It's a better all around card than the GT 710 and sells for about the same price. If you will use dual 4K monitors with DP inputs then the K2000 is the best choice.

AZF8D210605MDGM5.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same issue once, this might help.
A brilliantly simple solution to the constantly on LED. The green circle is the pin for the 'Hard Drive Activity LED', putting the power LED there doesn't flash when there's activity. Thanks @PeterFalth for that piece of genius!.
Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been away from tweaking my 9020 MT in PowerMac Casing. I'll try it when I have time! Thank you!

NEMIX 8/16/32GB ram upgrade for your 7020/9020 SFF or MT

If you need more ram and don't want to buy used, Newegg has the best price online for an 8GB kit or a 16GB kit.

https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/0RN-004P-005G7

$28 is a good price. This is exactly the same as the Hynix/Timetec ram so if you already have 2x4GB of that brand or even Samsung, you can add one of these kits to get to 16GB. Always install matched pairs for the best results.
Screen Shot 20.jpg

If you want to Max out your ram at 32GB and have a lifetime warranty, NEMIX sells a 32GB kit. Timetec doesn't have one on Amazon. Cost is about $113 which is a reasonable price. Of course, you can only use 8GB DIMMs to do this.

https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-32gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/0RN-004P-005H1
  • 32GB (4 x 8GB)
  • DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • NON-ECC Unbuffered UDIMM Memory
  • Memory for all Intel Desktop PC Computers
  • Dual Voltage - 1.35V - 1.5V

Last edited:
Back