Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Many of the GT 710s do work with Big Sur. What brand is yours ? DDR3 ram ?
MSI w/2GB DDR3

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

I figured out the wiring of the front power button, hook them up, and now it's working. I don't know why the circuit gives permanent ON to the LED though.
I had the same issue once, this might help.
A brilliantly simple solution to the constantly on LED. The green circle is the pin for the 'Hard Drive Activity LED', putting the power LED there doesn't flash when there's activity. Thanks @PeterFalth for that piece of genius!.

Received my 9020 MT i7 yesterday, along with the Timetec ram, power supply adapter cable, power switch / front panel adapter boards. Waiting on a few more things ordered from @trs96 links and then my build in a G5 case begins. The 3020 is great, looking forward to replacing my HP 8300 MT with this one.

I will likely stay with Mojave for now due to some legacy support for a sound card and maybe my 710 graphics card, but I will convert from Clover to OC, so I'll have to follow the OC guide for install I suppose.

Starting my build, stripped the G5 case, needing more parts of course. Did do install of OC and Mojave on the 9020 to make sure all was good before doing the transplant. Any reason to change from OC v 0.69 to a newer version at this point for a Mojave install?

Any reason to change from OC v 0.69 to a newer version at this point for a Mojave install?
Not really. 0.6.9 should have what you need.

EVGA 500 BQ Power Supply
These are on sale again at Amazon. 30 dollars off the retail price. If you need to upgrade your MT to power a dedicated graphics card this is one of the better choices. Fits perfectly where the Dell PSU resides. Locks into place and you have no cable clutter inside the case. Has a good warranty and customer service from EVGA.

The single +12V rail is rated at a max of 41 amps which is 25-27 amps higher than the stock Dell multi +12V rail PSU. If you plan on gaming or video editing with your OptiMac this upgrade is one of the better choices for system stability.

$39.99 and free shipping. Can't go wrong with this Dell MT upgrade. :thumbup:

1630370987654.png

Last edited:
Not really. 0.6.9 should have what you need.
The G5 transplant is nearing completion, need to sort out power supply (nice timing...) and mounting, but I have the MB installed, and used along with the HarbinRepairs adapter boards the BlackCH cables to keep the front power switch and USB port. It is alive! At least provisionally with the Dell power supply sitting in the bottom of the case. Have a little bit more fabrication to do, I'm going to use the base of the original power supply box as a tray so I can keep the original Apple power supply cable. For install I ended up using OC 0.7.1 and Big Sur... All looks good so far.

It is alive! At least provisionally with the Dell power supply sitting in the bottom of the case. Have a little bit more fabrication to do
Make sure to take some pics and make a post in the G5 Mods forum so everyone can see the work you've done. Not often that someone moves their Dell MT into a G5 or MP case. I'll link to it from the beginning of this thread.

I have a 2TB data drive that needs replacing, either SSD or thinking maybe NVMe (M.2?). Which PCIe card do you recommend for the NVMe drives?

Last edited:
Back