Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I used a Displayport to VGA dongle, and it worked fine. Don't know about HDMI to VGA.
Hello sir, do you have a full accelerated working display (blur bar, blur dock bar) with this method or just use the basics for rendering, i use VGA old monitor but it have a DVI input, but id did not use it, i use standard VGA cable, but i put a none correct device-id (12345679), and big sur worked with basics only, i don't of curse have fully accelerated one, so is your method (DP to VGA) works fully or just the basics??

Hello sir, do you have a full accelerated working display (blur bar, blur dock bar) with this method or just use the basics for rendering, i use VGA old monitor but it have a DVI input, but id did not use it, i use standard VGA cable, but i put a none correct device-id (12345679), and big sur worked with basics only, i don't of curse have fully accelerated one, so is your method (DP to VGA) works fully or just the basics??
I was using it on a 1080p monitor and it looked fine. I was using it with Mojave, don't know if that makes a difference.

Any MT owners out there.... would you please look at the tag on your temperature sensor cable and report the DP/N number ?
Concur with the others. Part # on my 9020 MT i7 is 0N5G78

I was using it on a 1080p monitor and it looked fine. I was using it with Mojave, don't know if that makes a difference.
Does it work with full acceleration? Or just basics? (Top bar blur, dock blur??)

Any MT owners out there.... would you please look at the tag on your temperature sensor cable and report the DP/N number ?

@donfulano or @bjay77 @Eli9019 @Daneland I need some help here.

View attachment 518375
I am sorry if I am too late. I have just seen your post.
IMG_20210521_235249.jpg

I am sorry if I am too late. I have just seen your post.
Not too late. This confirms that the N5G78 thermal sensors are what comes with the 7020/9020 MT. Mine did not have a tag on it. I tried replacing it with one the seller said was an N5G78 but the end that connected to the case was different and it didn't work for my 9020. Here's how the clip on end should look.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

I've got another N5G78 on order, still not here yet.

I've got another N5G78 on order
This came in. The seller on Amazon had two of them in the package. Not sure if that is the norm. They are brand new as far as I can tell. Best deal on the net and they work. So if you get a MT without one or just have the Dell 7020/9020 MT mobo then this is the place to buy these from. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T10QJLY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The Dell Optiplex SFF models do not have these sensors so you won't need to buy one.

IMG_20210526_181904915.jpg

Here are two audio files of the CPU and case fan at idle, with the temperature sensor plugged in and un-plugged. Without the sensor, the CPU fan will spin at close to 4500 RPM. These are fans that Dell also uses in Servers so they must move a lot of air when required. The mic was about 10 inches away from the fans. The case side panel was open when recording.

Attachments

• CPU Fan Noise.zip
    969.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Newegg has a 32" version of the 27" LG monitor in the OptiMac Buyer's Guide. It's not an IPS monitor but is a VA panel. There are two main advantages a VA panel has over an IPS equivalent. Better black uniformity and contrast. IPS panels will generally give you better color accuracy as well as wider viewing angles.
Screen Shot 10.jpg

If you want maximum screen real estate for video editing, gaming or audio production these are a great value. $297

https://www.newegg.com/lg-32un550-w-aus-32-uhd/p/0JC-000D-00BN3?Item=0JC-000D-00BN3

1622288031123.png

Last edited:
If you want the sharpest text, best viewing angles and color accuracy then the 27" IPS model is the better choice. I generally prefer this over the larger 32" VA panel LG monitors. Everyone has different needs and preferences.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRM2MV/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This is about as close as you'll get to the 27" 5K iMac display without spending over $700 for the monitor.

Does Boot Camp work on certain hackintoshes?
no, and it's not necessary when you are running PC hardware designed for Windows.

Back