Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Also - are there bios options for ignoring the ambient sensor?
Not that I know of. If it's not installed these Dells rev up the fans because they aren't getting any temp readings and it's seen as an overheating problem that never gets resolved. Disconnect your cable then boot up and see what happens.

I've got one ordered but will take more than a week to get it.
Screen Shot 32.jpg

I did a thread search first without results. Just wanting to know if anyone tried "Patched Sur" available here: https://bensova.gitbook.io/big-sur/supported-macs

Supposedly Late 2013 iMacs are fully supported, just didn't know if it would work for this particular installation.

Just wanting to know if anyone tried "Patched Sur" available here:
That is only for real Macs, not hacks. With a 9020 all you need to do is use iMac 15,1 and everything works with no patcher needed. You can't change the SMBIOS on a real Mac. That's why patching is needed to run Big Sur on a 2013 iMac.

Last edited:
That is only for real Macs, not hacks. With a 9020 all you need to do is use iMac 15,1 and everything works with no patching needed. You can't change the SMBIOS on a real Mac. That's why patching is needed to run Big Sur on a 2013 iMac.
Yeah, I have a real 21" Late 2013 iMac, but I don't want to upgrade one or the other, I'd rather both of them be done. The last time I checked in about Big Sur, it was a stay away recommendation.

For some reason I didn't think we could use 15,1 on these hacks. I'm doing some research to see if there is a how-to on changing the SMBIOS without doing a complete reinstall.

Last edited:
For some reason I didn't think we could use 15,1 on these hacks.
iMac14,2 was Haswell based in 2013. The higher end iMac had an i7-4770. Then in 2014 we got a haswell refresh and the iMac15,1 and 14,4. So they are the exact same CPUs. An i5-4590 is nothing more than an i5-4570 that is clocked higher, that's it. The CTO iMac 15,1 came with a 4790K and the base model had an i5-4690 cpu. That's why iMac 14,4 and 15,1 works with no issues on the 7020/9020.

If anyone didn't see the new Big Sur thread for the Dell OptiMac, here it is:

Make sure to read the section referencing the CFG unlock and the increase of DVMT pre-allocation. Those will be important to your success with Big Sur. Post any questions right within that thread.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I totally missed that post. Thank you very much trs. You donate a whole lot of time and knowledge for the community.

BTW, what's the recommended latest version of Clover for our current installs? I updated through Clover to 51xx and no boot options were available after rebooting. Clover said there was a problem with my config.plist. Luckily I had made a USB drive and labeled it from the original Clover version (4920) that got me back in.

If 4920 works, should I just stick with it? Or is there a later version that doesn't incorporate OpenCore that will work? I saw 5119 mentioned in another thread, but I tried it and it didn't work.

If 4920 works, should I just stick with it? Or is there a later version that doesn't incorporate OpenCore that will work? I saw 5119 mentioned in another thread, but I tried it and it didn't work.
Stay with what works for now. When you want to upgrade to Big Sur then make the switch to OC. Clover from 5123 and newer is constantly adding bits and pieces of OC just to make it work with Big Sur and it's not the best way forward imo.

Last edited:
Stay with what works for now. When you want to upgrade to Big Sur then make the switch to OC. Clover from 5123 and newer is constantly adding bits and pieces of OC just to make it work with Big Sur and it's not the best way forward imo.
I know :/. I had this hesitation before updating, but nawwww, it'll be fine..... :rolleyes:

Back