Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

thats from a 7020 - currently not anything - no hardrive
Have you ever booted macOS on this yet ?
If not, try booting from a USB installer and see if the CPU fan spins at full 4000+ RPMs.

I used a Displayport to VGA dongle, and it worked fine. Don't know about HDMI to VGA.
I didn't think about that before. After I posted the question, I just went and ordered DP to VGA cable, and it worked really fine. I would buy a second monitor which will only support DP to see the difference.

Have you ever booted macOS on this yet ?
Yes HS & Mojave - fans worked just fine I think - certainly never ran at full speed all the time - very quiet. Not setup to work on hacks at the mo.

Yes - fans worked just fine I think - certainly never ran at full speed all the time
That model of thermal sensor comes with 7010s and older Dell models.
When you look at them on Ebay.com none of them claim to work for the 7020/9020.

Boot into your BIOS to make sure that it is a 7020 motherboard and not a 7010. The easier way to tell is to see if there is a 24 pin power connector on the board. The Haswell 7020s have just an 8 pin connector instead.

If anyone else could check their 7020/9020 cable to see what the DP/N is I'd like to see if it matches up
with the one you have.

Last edited:
This was my daily Mac machine - it's a dell 7020, it did have an i5 (4590?), it was pretty much silent and that number is from the sensor cable that was in it. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    920 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    865.5 KB · Views: 48
This was my daily Mac machine - it's a dell 7020, it did have an i5 (4590?), it was pretty much silent and that number is from the sensor cable that was in it. Pics attached.
I'll buy one and see if it works on my 9020. Would be very strange if they only work on 7020s and not 9020s. The only difference between them is that the 9020 has a raid option in the BIOS/UEFI.

I'll buy one and see if it works on my 9020.
Cant see why it would be different. Also - are there bios options for ignoring the ambient sensor?

Back