Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

January 2022 Update: You can use a modified Dell A18 or A25 BIOS for the 7020/9020 that enables booting directly from an NVMe drive. I have attempted this with my 3020 SFF and it does work. It will also work for the 7020/9020s. You will need to have Windows installed and hopefully have some previous experience working with BIOS and the command prompt in Windows. Post questions to the author of the following guide on TachyTelic.net.

original post....
Using an NVMe SSD as your boot drive

I've been testing this out the past few days with some older, low capacity NVMe drives. One by Samsung, pulled from a failed MBP 2015 model. The other is the HP EX900 120GB version that I bought new for around $24 a few years ago, just for testing purposes. The 250GB version sells for about 40 USD on Newegg right now. If you want a larger capacity 500 GB NVMe go with the newer EX950 model for about $77 https://www.newegg.com/hp-ex950-512gb/p/N82E16820326205 These newer, larger capacity drives will give you much faster read/write speeds than the EX900 but not as fast as what HP suggests.

Read Speed: Up to 3,500 MB/s Sequential
Write Speed: Up to 2,250 MB/s Random

The Apple/Samsung NVMe was not at all usable. I couldn't get OpenCore to even recognize it as a Catalina install. Here's a pic of it installed to an 8 dollar adapter I found online. Good to have this if you need to recover data from failed Mac laptops that won't boot. It doesn't include the low profile bracket, I simply added one I had on hand.

20210419_122643.jpg

It's strange that macOS recognizes the HP NVMe as AppleAPFSMedia but can't even see a genuine Apple NVMe drive. :think: It may be because it's connected to a PC via a PCIe x16 slot which is never the case in any iMac.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 11.01.40 AM.png

I installed Catalina to the Apple/Samsung NVMe on another system but that was about all I could do.
The HP was recognized right away after I booted from an OC Catalina USB installer and I could install directly to it via an adapter in the PCIe x16 slot on my 7020 SFF motherboard.

The read and write speeds are faster than any 120GB Sata SSD so it may be worth keeping it installed as an alternate boot drive to Big Sur which resides on a 250 GB Sata SSD.

If you try this remember that you must have the OC NVMe driver installed and OpenCore itself must be on either a USB drive or another Sata based SSD as it is on my Big Sur SSD. You'll find the driver in the OC release Drivers folder.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 1.47.45 PM.png

The boot times are a little slower than from a Sata SSD. That is probably due to the fact that the NVMe SSD is connected to an adapter which plugs into the PCIe slot. It's not the same as having it installed directly to an M.2 slot on a newer motherboard.

HP EX900 120GB NVMe speed test.
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 10.50.29 AM.png

Here's some more important info on which NVMe and Sata SSD drives to use that allow Trim to be enabled.
Definitely avoid any drive listed in the last "Incompatible" section of this listing.

Working with TRIM broken (can be used with TRIM disabled, at slower boot times, or as a data storage):
  • Samsung 950 Pro
  • Samsung 960 Evo/Pro
  • Samsung 970 Evo/Pro
Working fine with TRIM:
  • Western Digital Blue SN550
  • Western Digital Black SN700
  • Western Digital Black SN720
  • Western Digital Black SN750 (aka SanDisk Extreme PRO)
  • Western Digital Black SN850 (need more tests)
  • Intel 760p (including OEM models, e.g. SSDPEMKF512G8)
  • Crucial P1 1TB NVME (SM2263EN) (need more tests)
Working fine with TRIM (SATA):
  • SATA PLEXTOR M5Pro
  • SATA Samsung 850 PRO (need more tests)
  • SATA Samsung 870 EVO (need more tests)
Working fine with TRIM (Unbranded SSDs):
  • KingDian S280
  • Kingchuxing 512GB
Incompatible with IONVMeFamily (die under heavy load):
  • GIGABYTE 512 GB M.2 PCIe SSD (e.g. GP-GSM2NE8512GNTD) (need more tests)
  • ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280
  • SK Hynix HFS001TD9TNG-L5B0B
  • Samsung PM981 models
  • Micron 2200V MTFDHBA512TCK
  • Asgard AN3+ (STAR1000P)

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDT745F/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

For those in the USA, Amazon has a 20 dollar rebate offer on the CM NR400 case. Brings the price down to just $39.99 ! If you are getting tired of the Dell OEM case, nows your chance to upgrade. You have to order by 4-27-21 to be able to apply for the rebate.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 3.10.56 PM.png

An example of how a build might look in the NR400. Note that an Optical drive is installed. That can be removed.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
9020 USFF 4570s
Mojave

using onboard (no other choice) DP have issue with using 2 exact screens connected at the same time. In particular 2 tvs LG 50" LCD dp to hdmi cable - could there be a issue like usb with two of same product id connected not recognising either - have another setup using tv and 23" monitor no issues whatsoever.

Can't get signal unplug and plug in nothing - start with both plugged in get startup screen on one etc... then dies no screen. Have tried various different 14,1 to 15,1 no change. Have tried injecting intel in clover config..... andything else I can try - I know a little but if something specific please give details to help.

Basically want to use as a zoom box with 2 monitors for dual screen and mics and webcams....

Thankyou!
Matt

9020 USFF 4570s
Mojave

using onboard (no other choice) DP have issue with using 2 exact screens connected at the same time. In particular 2 tvs LG 50" LCD dp to hdmi cable - could there be a issue like usb with two of same product id connected not recognising either - have another setup using tv and 23" monitor no issues whatsoever.

Can't get signal unplug and plug in nothing - start with both plugged in get startup screen on one etc... then dies no screen. Have tried various different 14,1 to 15,1 no change. Have tried injecting intel in clover config..... andything else I can try - I know a little but if something specific please give details to help.

Basically want to use as a zoom box with 2 monitors for dual screen and mics and webcams....

Thankyou!
Matt
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Dell Optiplex Mini Tower - Recommended 500W PSU on Sale at Newegg
https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-bq-110-bq-0500-k1-500w/p/N82E16817438101

These fit right into the existing space where the 290W Dell OEM PSU resides. It will lock into place. All four screw holes match up with the Dell OEM case so you can secure it even more. You'll need to install it with the fan facing down toward the bottom of your case. No case modding necessary to use this with your Dell OEM case.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Also remember that you'll need a 24 to 8 pin adapter to make this work with your Dell Optiplex motherboard.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XRKT7SH/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Semi-Modular means minimal cable clutter inside your case for better air flow. 500W is plenty to power an RX 570 or 580. You really can't buy one new these days but if you have one already this PSU is the best low cost, budget choice.

EVGA 500 BQ for $44.99 at Newegg.com

1619434179807.png

Last edited:
DP have issue with using 2 exact screens connected at the same time. In particular 2 tvs LG 50" LCD dp to hdmi cable
It's really asking a lot of the iGPU to drive dual 50" televisions (are they 4K ?) at the same time while adapting DP to HDMI. If your televisions have HDR capability that should be disabled via the TV options. Ideally you would use the SFF or MT and drive two tvs with something like the NVS 510 gfx card using mini DP to HDMI cables.

Would you post a link to the two cables you are using ? I'm not 100 % certain but it may require one active DP to HDMI adapter to make this work. What happens if you wait until after boot up to connect the 2nd TV monitor. Does that make any difference ?

Last edited:
Mmm works fine with 2 different monitors DP to HDMI, etc...
I wouldn't think any difference between 1080p PC monitor and 1080p TV screen. The signal is still the same is it not? Am I genuinely missing something here? Same goes for cable the signal is the same DVI, HDMI, and DP. That's why you can use cable adapter....?

I have built up (I have a few...!) Win10 latest version 9020 USFF to see if that has the same problem - will have to check at family members house in next few days...

Just generic DP to HDMI cables all work fine. I think these are the ones he's got:

I've got some better? Ones that I use 4K maybe that's why I don't have any issue doing it here...?!

It was mainly a theory like with 2 USB music keyboards in programs face same ID and settings all screw up or order of music keyboard gets changed....

The last I left it at one stage couldn't even boot with one TV connected. It was there booted into OS but no screen just blank, but definitely not had any success with one booting up no worries and then connecting another - the DP ports don't seems to like that.... even on a 9020 SFF - but will try again and with some different cables... and another USFF something may be wrong...

I read on a forum regarding Windows need Intel drivers not ones that come built into Win10 as supporting 2 requires separate Intel drivers - I've had it working today with built in Win10 drivers going to 30" DP and DP to mini DP iMac 2009 no worries....but I think that's Win10 auto downloaded updated Intel drivers as have Intel logo, etc.

Do I need to do anything inject Intel put a ID in somewhere?

As stated I have it working fine same 9020 SFF or USFF 2 x 1080p monitors 50" Plasma and a 23" monitor running 1920 x 1080p DP to HDMI no worries just a family members place with 2 same identical model TVs no go...!! I will take along next time my cables in case its something to do with his.... but we aren't running 2Kk or anything fancy just 1080p.

Do I need to do anything inject Intel put a ID in somewhere?
No need to inject Intel. If you could post a screenshot of the DeviceProperties section of your config.plist that may show us where the problem is. Specifically, expand the PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) section.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Here's how the default looks when viewed in plisteditpro app.

Looks the same except I don't have a few more framebuffer...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.34.26 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 9.34.26 pm.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 70
Side issue/question:

1: Can you get a GT710 running with 15.1 or other SMBIOS or does it have to be 14.2, etc. I've not been able to get it to work with any other SMBIOS other than 14,2

2: Can you run GT710 and onboard at same time? If so how and which SMBIOS....

3: Relating to above issue - any point to updating Whatevergreen, Lilu and any other kexts to later ones? I've just installed CAT on a 9020 SFF and noted newer ones needed for that as per your mini updated guide post... are they backwards compatible and better to use latest etc...?

Thank you for the insights.

Back