Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

For anyone moving to a new case or even just upgrading their graphics with an RX 570/580 or better, this is one of the best PSU deals right now.

These will cost less than the refurb Dell equivalents you'll find on Ebay. Use them in either the SFF or MT to securely install your SSD drives.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZWX6PD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Screen Shot 12.jpg

Screen Shot 15.jpg

One solution for poor quality BT data to USB 2.0 header cables.

I've purchased a few BCM94360CD Wifi/BT combo cards. I've had problems with the tiny BT data cable that connects to the internal USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. It often doesn't work or breaks too easily and then I end up not using the BT 4.0 at all, just wifi. The sellers generally won't sell this cable/wire by itself.

This is an adapter I haven't bought yet but I like the idea they have implemented. They've made the BT cable a lot more robust and it has a standard (external) USB male connector on one end of it and it looks like a micro USB connector on the other end that connects to the PCB.

What you would do is run that cable to an external USB 2.0 port on the back panel of your case. I'm not sure I'll be buying one but if anyone does make sure to share your experience with it. Note that it doesn't come with a low profile bracket for an SFF case. You certainly could remove the PCIe bracket and replace it although that is not ideal. Would be best used in the MT case.

I'm not 100% sure about the build quality. It comes with one necessary screw for holding the WIFI/BT card in place.

1617552051335.png

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm wondering if this will be a sufficient build to use basic editing in Premiere Pro and sometimes After Effects, plus home music studio with Ableton?

My plan is to start with the i7 MT Dell Optiplex 9020 with 16GB RAM and one of the recommended Graphics Cards with a 4K monitor.

What do you recommend to take attention to?

I'm wondering if this will be a sufficient build to use basic editing in Premiere Pro and sometimes After Effects, plus home music studio with Ableton?
With an i7 and a supported gfx card it will work well. Not sure how you'll find a supported AMD card at the current time. The ones you can buy are extremely overpriced. The only supported cards that haven't gone way up in price this year are the older Nvidia Kepler cards. You can use one of those for the short term till AMD prices correct after crypto currency has another crash.

Not sure how you'll find a supported AMD card at the current time.
Thanks! Yeah, agree, it's tricky now, more than $250 for 4Gb RX560 is not a solution. Maybe will start with onboard graphics for the time being. Anyway, it's better than a MacBook Pro Early 2015 with 8Gb RAM and 128Gb SSD.

Maybe will start with onboard graphics for the time being.
HD4600 4K/60Hz works with Mojave/Catalina if you follow the BIOS modding part of the guide to increase DVMT to 64MB and raise the igfx Vram to 2GB via the framebuffer patches. It doesn't work correctly in Big Sur though. Just be aware of that.

Even better PSU deal than the previous Seasonic. For anyone that needs to upgrade their MT PSU to power a greater than 75W power drawing GPU in their build. I.E. you need 6 or 8 pin supplemental power for the card.

Last edited:
Reactions: onk
Zotac GT 710 Fanless GC and Big Sur

These cards are having problems with Big Sur but not with older macOS versions that support the GT 710 cards. I'd suggest that you avoid the Zotac brand for now if you plan on upgrading or if you want to install Big Sur at first on your Dell OptiMac. I have a Zotac fanless GT 710 and there seems to be no way to make it work with Big Sur other than by flashing the VBIOS. Another Zotac owner has also confirmed this as well. The MSI and Gigabyte GT 710s don't appear to have the same problems with Big Sur so those should be OK to use. If you have the same card and it works for you, post here to let us know about it.

1618714409871.png

Back