Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I think low profile gpu will be not enough for editing 1080p video. And looking for MT with i7 4790. don't know what to do...
I have done basic 1080p video editing with integrated HD4600 graphics. If you use iMovie or FCP X it works fine. When you add a LP graphics card that is supported like a GT 730 DDR3 or the more expensive WX 4100 by AMD then editing is a breeze. Here's a Zotac GT 730 with 4GB Vram that is very affordable. You just remove the VGA port to make it into a LP card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R5UW038/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I have done basic 1080p video editing with integrated HD4600 graphics. If you use iMovie or FCP X it works fine. When you add a LP graphics card that is supported like a GT 730 DDR3 or the more expensive WX 4100 by AMD then editing is a breeze. Here's a Zotac GT 730 with 4GB Vram that is very affordable. You just remove the VGA port to make it into a LP card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R5UW038/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Woah, GT 730 indeed affordable for me. As I said before I am not very convinced in PC parts coz I am completely newbie. So if LP card can handle editing 1080p, then I think it's good choice. I consider your opinion and yet will get SFF.

Last edited:
Woah, GT 730 indeed affordable for me. As I said before I am not very convinced in PC parts coz I am completely newbie. So if LP card can handle editing 1080p, than I think it's good choice. I consider your opinion and yet will get SFF.
Here's the LP bracket (top one) that you'll need to install after removing the VGA (15 pin ) connector. It's included.

1604094551842.png

Here's the LP bracket (top one) that you'll need to install after removing the VGA (15 pin ) connector. It's included.

View attachment 493702
Oh, I see. One more question - is there a lot of difference if I will buy a card from a different manufacturer (like not Zotac but Asus or Gigabyte) ? and I want to buy used card, what if there will no be the bracket for LP ? o_O

is there a lot of difference if I will buy a card from a different manufacturer (like not Zotac but Asus or Gigabyte) ? and I want to buy used card, what if there will no be the bracket for LP ?
That's actually 2 questions LOL. If you can get one at this low price new don't even consider used. You want to make sure it's a DDR3 kepler based Nvidia card. There are some that are DDR5 so avoid those. Do the research before buying. Google works well.

That's actually 2 questions LOL. If you can get one at this low price new don't even consider used. You want to make sure it's a DDR3 kepler based Nvidia card. There are some that are DDR5 so avoid those. Do the research before buying. Google works well.
Yeah, I asked one then one more pop up in my head :D Thanks a lot for the advice, I will search.

A local seller on FB Marketplace is selling a Gigabyte GT730 (GV-N730-2GI) for $20. It is not Low Profile. Any reason not to pick this up for an Optiplex MT (or any other build)?

10664_m.png

A local seller on FB Marketplace is selling a Gigabyte GT730 (GV-N730-2GI) for $20. It is not Low Profile. Any reason not to pick this up for an Optiplex MT (or any other build)?

View attachment 494225
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, as the saying goes. It won't work with macOS.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, as the saying goes. It won't work with macOS.
Okay, I am now confused. I was reading your list here and saw Nvidia Kepler GT 730 ... so i thought this card which is based on NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 GPU would work...

so i thought this card which is based on NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 GPU would work...
Screen Shot 2.jpg

You always want to look up any questionable cards on GPU Zoo. This tells you it's not a Kepler card even though it launched in June 2014. It's got the GF 108 GPU. You can see that where it says Die name. What they do is use up lower cost older chips by putting the newer model name (GT 730) on them and selling to unsuspecting buyers.

Fermi cards don't work in Mojave - Catalina - Big Sur hacks. Fermi is not For me should be the hackintoshers' slogan. They had massive problems in hacks when they first came out some 8-9 years ago. We used to call it the Fermi Freeze.

"NVIDIA introduced and launched their first Fermi GPU based GeForce graphics card, the GeForce GTX 480 back in 2010. The first and revised Fermi GPUs were made part of the NVIDIA GeForce 400 and GeForce 500 series lineup."

So why the heck would Gigabyte put a GF108 chip into a 2014 release GT 730 GPU that should be Kepler 2nd gen based ? As described above, they were simply getting rid of older unwanted GPUs by sneaking them into 730s. You can tell by looking at the photo of that Fermi based GT 730 that something isn't right, looks like an older design card than the 2014 Kepler cards. Almost looks like a fake knockoff of a genuine Gigabyte brand card. Happens a lot in China. The term often used is "rebranding."

This is what my post on Nvidia Graphics Compatibility says:
Q: Some cards in the supported list have Fermi variants. How do I determine whether my Nvidia card is Kepler based (GK) and not an unsupported Fermi (GF) card ? (GT 630, 640 and 730 cards can be from either series)

A: It's really quite easy. Go to this website http://www.gpuzoo.com/ and enter the make and model of your card.

At least MSI puts Kepler in the title and a K in the model name, N730K. See the screenshot here:

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back