Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Thanks TRs, have been doing a heap of research and was almost set to by a pwm fan controller and a couple of the SW3 pwm fans but the info provided by yourself and t33 have thrown a spanner in the works. Back to the drawing board. I’ll look into pwm controllers like that one you linked or may be better off with 3 pin fans and a manual voltage controller/ in line resister setup

Current Best Value Graphics Card for the MT Dell OptiMac

1598261204582.png
What I like most about these cards is that they have the very best Price to Performance ratio. They easily fit in the Dell MT with no case modding needed. You don't need a huge power supply upgrade. Even a basic 450W PSU is plenty of power to run one. 8GBs of Vram really comes in handy for use with multi 4K monitors. MSI didn't waste any money on RGB LED lighting that you won't see anyway. Also great for any 1080p AAA gaming in Windows. It's selling for $140 right now at Newegg after a free promo code. Should retain macOS support for many more years. All the drivers you'll need are already in macOS.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-570-rx-570-8gt-oc/p/N82E16814137521

The best budget PSU (80+ Bronze) at Newegg right now is the EVGA 450 BR. All PSU prices have gone up this year so finding anything worth buying in this price range is difficult. These have the right dimensions to fit the Dell MT case with no mods needed either. All around solid choice. EVGA has the best warranty support of any PSU manufacturer.

Screen Shot 8.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/evga-450-br-100-br-0450-k1-450w/p/N82E16817438144

The one other thing needed for this graphics upgrade is the 24 to 8 pin adapter you can buy at Newegg as well.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VJ-00R0-00026?

Total for the 3 item upgrade would be $203.88. Plus what ever sales tax is added for the state you live in.

Intel HD4600 graphics work for everyday use. When you want to game or edit video in iMovie or FCP X the integrated graphics are just too slow to be of much use. These simple upgrades open up these options for your Dell 4K OptiMac.

Last edited:
I had a perfectly working 9020 SSF. I tried going the OpenCore route and after a failed installation (on a completely different SSD), when I booted back into my original hackintosh, the sound didn't work and somehow verbose boot was activated.

I tried updating to the latest AppleALC, but to no avail. I cannot see any audio devices in Sound.

When I try VoodooHDA, and the sound does work but it is very distorted. I am attaching screenshots for reference.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.13 PM.png
    244 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 10.50.32 PM.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 56
I tried going the OpenCore route and after a failed installation (on a completely different SSD), when I booted back into my original hackintosh, the sound didn't work and somehow verbose boot was activated.
Try pressing the F11 key at the clover boot menu. That clears NVRAM stuff left over from when you tried OC. I use the audio layout ID of 13 for Realtek ALC280. Not sure why you have 3 instead ?

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Try pressing the F11 key at the clover boot menu. That clears NVRAM stuff left over from when you tried OC. I use the audio layout ID of 13 for Realtek ALC280. Not sure why you have 3 instead ?
Hi,
Thank you for the prompt reply. Clearing the NVRAM worked and it fixed the verbose mode issue. Earlier, every time I tried to run it without the -v, there would be a kernel panic.

Thanks for noticing my gaffe. In my attempt to try different layout-IDs, I must have left it at 3. I tried changing it back to 13, but to no avail. Does the Inject also have to be corresponding with the Layout ID?

Thank you again for your help.

Does the Inject also have to be corresponding with the Layout ID?
No, should be zero just like you have it now. Did you save a previous copy of your EFI folder ? If so you could try that or you could use the config.plist at the end of post #1. If it works you'd need to add your serials SMUUID etc back in.

No, should be zero just like you have it now. Did you save a previous copy of your EFI folder ? If so you could try that or you could use the config.plist at the end of post #1. If it works you'd need to add your serials SMUUID etc back in.
I ended up following An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins and it worked.

But I had to put the kexts in the L/E/ using Hackintool and patching it using layout-ID 13, something I have not done before. From IORegistry Explorer I found out that alc-layout-id was not being created, which the guide said that it meant the AppleALC was not being initialised. I am quite dumbfounded as to what could have gone wrong.

Here's a really nice mATX case from Lian Li that could be a new home for your Dell Optiplex. The two included 4 pin PWM fans (they are keepers) can be either run off the mobo fan header (with 5 to 4 pin adapter + splitter) or you can use a manual fan controller to regulate speeds. The dual front USB 3.0 ports will work with no problems. The front headphone and mic jacks won't. If you do want the front audio jacks to work, you can have that by spending $24.99 on these adapters. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...T1700-Front-Panel-Header-Adapter/264733441811

Very solid and well built case. I'd estimate it's around 5x better than a budget mATX case that you'd spend 35-40 USD on.

1598524651445.png

Last edited:
have been doing a heap of research and was almost set to by a pwm fan controller and a couple of the SW3 pwm fans but the info provided by yourself and t33 have thrown a spanner in the works. Back to the drawing board. I’ll look into pwm controllers like that one you linked or may be better off with 3 pin fans and a manual voltage controller/ in line resister setup
Here's something that looks interesting for manual fan speed control. Powered by one SATA power connector.

It's an 8 fan controller that let's you individually control the speed of two fans at a time. I believe these only control 4 pin PWM fans via voltage regulation and not duty cycle. I haven't tested one to verify but at this low price I'd think it only works via voltage regulation. So you'd probably reach the lowest fan speeds with the Noctua PWM controller that I mentioned earlier. The downside of that is that it controls fewer fans and costs twice as much. If you do want the lowest fan speeds a PWM controller is the way to go. https://thinkcomputers.org/noctua-fans-and-accessories-roundup/3/

NOTE: The Noctua PWM NA-FC1 doesn't work with 3 pin fans so if you already have mostly 3 pin fans it's better to go with this controller from a seller on Amazon. Then you can control either 3 pin or 4 pin fans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXYZLBK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

1598552519404.png

Here's a video demo of how the Noctua PWM controller works differently in the way it regulates fan speed.

Last edited:
Here's something that looks interesting for manual fan speed control. Powered by one SATA power connector.

It's an 8 fan controller that let's you individually control the speed of two fans at a time. I believe these only control 4 pin PWM fans via voltage regulation and not duty cycle. I haven't tested one to verify but at this low price I'd think it only works via voltage regulation. So you'd probably reach the lowest fan speeds with the Noctua PWM controller that I mentioned earlier. The downside of that is that it controls fewer fans and costs twice as much. If you do want the lowest fan speeds a PWM controller is the way to go. https://thinkcomputers.org/noctua-fans-and-accessories-roundup/3/

NOTE: The Noctua PWM NA-FC1 doesn't work with 3 pin fans so if you already have mostly 3 pin fans it's better to go with this controller from a seller on Amazon. Then you can control either 3 pin or 4 pin fans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXYZLBK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

View attachment 485892
Here's a video demo of how the Noctua PWM controller works differently in the way it regulates fan speed.

Tanks Trs. The video on the Noctua NA-FC1 was great. I think that is the one to get. I comes with a 3 way pwm splitter cable and says you can daisy chain extra splitters as needed for up to 8 fans as it has a 3A max....I'm only looking at 3 pwm fans, 4 max, so will work great. I like that it varies the duty cycle rather than voltage so if you have different fan sizes or fans with different max rpms, it shouldn't matter as setting the dial to say 50% duty cycle should run the fans at half their respective max rpm (at least i think this is how it will work).

Thanks for the Lian Li case recommendation as well, i'll check it out in comparison to the cooler master silencio s400 i'm interested in

Back