Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Good point. I've never used it on a real Mac. I think it may be a limitation of the new Dell sensor kext then. Would take some more research into this to determine exactly what causes this.

Seems that I am not the only one experiencing this: https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC/pull/31#issuecomment-652889206

Will follow up with author.

Edit: Got a quick response from author.

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 13.37.50.png

So there we have it - works as well as it can, given the design.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Have you tried any of the Windows fan control apps like SpeedFan ?

MSI afterburner is worth checking out if you haven't got that already.

I just tried out SpeedFan - it sees the GPU fan and temp - but as far as the DELL parts go, it doesn't even detect that there are fans present :lol: (so I would need a layer like the DellSMCSensors.kext we just got, just for Win)

Looking around on the internet a bit, it seems this is the way it is. There is a fan application on the rescue part partition on the original Win delivered with the 9020, but that is long gone. Oh well. Can't have it all.

Will look at MSI Afterburner later - since I haven't booted my Win install for some time, it is now chewing its way through some updates.

It sees the GPU fan and temp - but as far as the DELL parts go, it doesn't even detect that there are fans present. Looking around on the internet a bit, it seems this is the way it is.
This reminds me of a story. A family was driving around town in a second hand used car they just bought on a car lot. Jr. sitting in the back seat, asks his Dad "what's that rattling noise I hear ?" Dad says,"Nothing to bother about, that's the sound of the money we saved when we bought the car."

When Moving your OptiMac to a new PC Case
If it's important to have your front headphone and mic jacks working you can also buy this adapter kit that let's you easily accomplish that. Also includes the PWR SW adapter to connect the power button on top. When you jumper the two middle pins permanently, you'll not have to press the F1 key every time you boot up. See post #1,981.

The amount of time and effort it would take to make these yourself makes this purchase a no-brainer. They've sold a few thousand of these and have a 100% positive feedback rating on Ebay. Ships to USA, Canada, UK and EU countries + Australia. Also some other European countries. Check on Ebay.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

1597775002651.png

Last edited:
So, this is a follow up from a little bit back. I had trouble with the USB 3 ports.

I installed hackintool and poked around in there looking for an obvious way to clear the kext cache. I didn't find it but I did get a pop-up suggesting that I install the latest version of Clover so I went ahead with it. That was a mistake. After that I found it would load to a black screen (after choosing the correct drive in the clover screen). I tried swapping the config.plist file but still would not boot to MacOS. Then I found that I had saved an entire EFI folder from a 9020 build a couple months ago. I saved the serial numbers and then copied the old EFI folder over top of the now useless EFI. It booted up fine so I copied the serial numbers over and everything worked. USB3 is now functional on all 4 ports.

So, I have no idea what went wrong that caused the USB issue but I do have it now fixed on this machine.
Thanks everyone!

I just finished installing Catalina on a 9020M using the attached config.plst, but can’t get the onboard audio to work. The guide states that the micro version uses a different audio codec. How do I change the config.plst to get the audio working?

I just finished installing Catalina on a 9020M using the attached config.plst, but can’t get the onboard audio to work. The guide states that the micro version uses a different audio codec. How do I change the config.plst to get the audio working?
Try using AppleALC layout-id of 27.

I tried layout-id 27 without success. Also tried 3, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 21, 27, 28, 30, 31 & 99 but none worked. I’m not sure if I’m changing it correctly or if there’s something else I need to do. I’m editing config.plst in clover under devices/properties. Is that right?

I tried layout-id 27 without success. Also tried 3, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 21, 27, 28, 30, 31 & 99 but none worked. I’m not sure if I’m changing it correctly or if there’s something else I need to do. I’m editing config.plst in clover under devices/properties. Is that right?
All you should need is Lilu and Apple ALC kexts installed to kexts/other and this entry in Devices/Properties:

Screen Shot 15.jpg

I've never tried to get audio to work on the M versions. I've only bought he SFF and MT 9020s.

Try posting in this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-10-14-6-on-dell-optiplex-9020m-micro-pc.286632/

Back