Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Try removing the macOS drive, unplug the Sata cable to it. Then see if Windows will boot from BIOS. Do you get the same blue screen of death then ?

okay will do. Reporting back tomorrow.

Hi,quick question about the moddiy cable for connecting a new psu to the optiplex motherboard. I’m still waiting for mine to arrive from HK to Australia by boat (due to covid). Looking at the picture, there is an extra plug ( at the 24 pin end) with what looks like a single molex type pin...what’s that for?

Try removing the macOS drive, unplug the Sata cable to it. Then see if Windows will boot from BIOS. Do you get the same blue screen of death then ?

when I disconnect the macOS ssd it also gives me the blue screen.

edit: it seems that switching between ATA and AHCI in the bios makes a difference.

- when selecting ata Windows 10 boots and MacOS doesn’t.
- when selecting AHCI MacOS boots and Windows 10 doesn’t.

Attachments

• CC2A58AA-8461-45C4-A109-B60C11139E8C.jpeg
    CC2A58AA-8461-45C4-A109-B60C11139E8C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
when I disconnect the macOS ssd it also gives me the blue screen.

edit: it seems that switching between ATA and AHCI in the bios makes a difference.

- when selecting ata Windows 10 boots and MacOS doesn’t.
- when selecting AHCI MacOS boots and Windows 10 doesn’t.

@trs96 okay, I got it working. Seems I needed my Windows 10 to convert from ide/ata to AHCI by doing:

1. Right-click the Windows Start Menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
  3. Then I changed the bios to AHCI again.
Now it dual boots perfectly. Next step is to enable FileVault2.

there is an extra plug ( at the 24 pin end) with what looks like a single molex type pin...what’s that for?
That's a good question. I don't use it or even know why it's there. The Moddiy site doesn't say anything about it. I haven't seen that connector on adapters from any of the other Chinese sellers of these. You might email moddiy and ask about it.
Screen Shot.jpg

If anyone does use it, why and what for ?

Last edited:
So, I am on 10.15.3 right now and would like to update to 10.15.5. I read elsewhere that it is recommended to update Clover and kexts before doing that.

Using Hackintool, I can see that there are updates for:
  • AppleALC
  • Lilu
  • USBInjectAll
  • VirtualSMC
  • Whatevergreen

There is apparently also a new Clover version out as well - I am on 5102.

So I am wondering this:
  1. Is it in general a good idea to stay updated on kexts and Clover? I try to stay true to the old adage of "If it ain't broken don't fix it.", but I understand that with new macOS updates there might be a need to update them.
  2. Since I am still a newbie at Hackintosh, what is the best way (as in "as idiot-proof" as possible) of updating kexts and Clover?
  3. Do I do Clover first or kexts first?
I know that I may sound overly concerned, but I would REALLY hate to screw up my lovely OptiMac!

I know that I may sound overly concerned
When going from 10.15.3 to .5 you really don't need to update Clover or your kexts. If you do want to wait to do that later on after the update that works too.

I would REALLY hate to screw up my lovely OptiMac!
I did, now when its all working, I make sure I can get it back to working, there are three things that I check, that I can reinstall the version of Clover that is there (Ive never needed to change versions of clover) and I have a copy of the whole of the efi folder on the efi partition. I just use my original install usb and set up kexts and config.plist, the same as the real drive with a seperate copy of the efi folder from the drive and make sure i can boot from the usb into osx.

Last edited:
I did, now when its all working, I make sure I can get it back to working, there are two things that I check, that I can reinstall the version of Clover that is there (Ive never needed to change versions of clover) and I have a copy of the whole of the efi folder on the efi partition. I just use my original install usb and set up kexts and config.plist, the same as the real drive with a seperate copy of the efi folder from the drive and make sure i can boot from the usb into osx.

I have two SSD disks with full clones of the main disks. I cycle those every month - or before I have to do something that I feel uneasy about. And then I have a master clone of the original install tucked away as well. Better safe than sorry. Even so, I dread having to actually have to roll back :-/ (but the disks are tested after clone to ensure that they boot)

Very belt and braces. - The kext are easy to roll back and Ive yet to find a reason to change Clover versions, Im sure there are for some machines or setups but not here I think.

Last edited:
Back