Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Two of the four are 6Gb/s speed ports. See SATA0 and SATA1 connectors pictured below.

The two white colored ones (SATA2/3) are 3Gb/s speed and meant for use with an Optical drive and a mechanical HDD. Two parts that every MT Optiplex came with originally. See the pics in post #1 or refer to the Optiplex owners manual that is attached to post #1. If you want to dual boot, put the macOS SSD on SATA0 and Windows SSD on SATA1. Any mechanical storage drives can then connect to SATA2 or 3 connectors.

View attachment 470656
Is it possible that the Optiplex owners manual is wrong? According to System Information in macOS the four SATA ports are 6 GB (see captures from my OptiMac 9020 MT). :confused:

BTW, I've switched to OpenCore 0.5.8 and Catalina 10.15.5 (fresh install) following this guide (thanks zearp!) and I believe everything is working OK. I didn't do the power and fan setup, and I'm using the iMac15,1 SMBIOS.

I had to uncheck the Enable Legacy Operation ROMs in BIOS in order to use the four ports in my Radeon RX 590.

I've even setup the boot-chime (it sounds through the internal speaker :mrgreen:). I guess it only works after a cold boot.

Attachments

• sata0.png
    sata0.png
    209 KB · Views: 96
  • sata1.png
    sata1.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 92
  • sata2.png
    sata2.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 77
  • sata3.png
    sata3.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 79
I manage to solve it! I had to Hackintool to change some configuration in the config.plist. I have done this:
1. Download Hackintool.
2. In the Patch tab, in connectors (with the 2 displays connected) I change one of the types to DP and I copy the code from the patch to the congif.plist.
3. Reboot and voila!

I manage to solve it! I had to Hackintool to change some configuration in the config.plist. I have done this:
1. Download Hackintool.
2. In the Patch tab, in connectors (with the 2 displays connected) I change one of the types to DP and I copy the code from the patch to the congif.plist.
3. Reboot and voila!
Would you post the changes you have made so other may use
thanks

Would you post the changes you have made so other may use
thanks
Of course! My system is the 9020 USFF with a i5 4590S.
I attach my config.plist with the changes.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.8 KB · Views: 86
Is it possible that the Optiplex owners manual is wrong? According to System Information in macOS the four SATA ports are 6 GB (see captures from my OptiMac 9020 MT). :confused:

BTW, I've switched to OpenCore 0.5.8 and Catalina 10.15.5 (fresh install) following this guide (thanks zearp!) and I believe everything is working OK. I didn't do the power and fan setup, and I'm using the iMac15,1 SMBIOS.

I had to uncheck the Enable Legacy Operation ROMs in BIOS in order to use the four ports in my Radeon RX 590.

I've even setup the boot-chime (it sounds through the internal speaker :mrgreen:). I guess it only works after a cold boot.

Glad to hear. Zearp's guide explicitly says in BIOS Settings, "Double check if loading of legacy ROMs is enabled. Sleep won't work properly without it.". With it disabled, does Sleep/Wake work for you with the RX590?

Is it possible that the Optiplex owners manual is wrong? According to System Information in macOS the four SATA ports are 6 GB
The Q87 chipset does allow up to six 6Gb/s Sata ports so it is possible that the Dell manual is wrong. They've been wrong before. For example the Optiplex 7010 manual stated that the four RAM slots on those were limited to a total of 16GBs of DDR3 RAM. 32GBs worked fine. That's what the Q77 chipset supports.

Q87 chipset specs
Screen Shot 8.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear. Zearp's guide explicitly says in BIOS Settings, "Double check if loading of legacy ROMs is enabled. Sleep won't work properly without it.". With it disabled, does Sleep/Wake work for you with the RX590?
Using the RX 590:

- With Enable Legacy Operation ROMs unchecked, Sleep doesn't work. macOS wakes up but screen is dark and system is not responding. Rebooting pops-up a message telling something went wrong.

- With Enable Legacy Operation ROMs checked, macOS wakes up using a portion of the screen (a small rectangle in the middle) and blinking continuously. macOS was usable but I had to reboot.

I never use Sleep because boot time is OK for me.

Using the RX 590:

- With Enable Legacy Operation ROMs unchecked, Sleep doesn't work. macOS wakes up but screen is dark and system is not responding. Rebooting pops-up a message telling something went wrong.

- With Enable Legacy Operation ROMs checked, macOS wakes up using a portion of the screen (a small rectangle in the middle) and blinking continuously. macOS was usable but I had to reboot.

I never use Sleep because boot time is OK for me.
Thanks Kuty. Yeah, its not a big deal. What works is great and almost magical !

Btw, anyone tried the 2020-003 Security Update for Mojave?

Hello, thanks for this guide and discussion! I'm planning to pick up a 7020 SFF and start tinkering on my first ever Hackintosh. I was wondering if anyone has tried a sapphire pulse rx 550 in the SFF case (I saw that some people had success with the Yeston Model). The measurements are 158(L)X112(W)X28(H) Dimension/mm, and I saw a few used versions on AliExpress for cheaper than the Yeston. Thanks in advance!

Back