Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Somewhere here, I think the no gpu alt thread, somebody posted their usff problem reporting files, it might mention there whether they did usb but in any case might be worthwhile to see their config
EDIT:

Last edited:
I never made one because I've only got the SFF and MT versions. What you can do is use the .dsl attached to post #1 and then use Hackintool to do the port discovery. Modify the .dsl as needed and then compile it. See the guide from utterdisbelief for all the details. It's easier than it appears. All you've got to account for is two USB 2.0 (13) and four USB 3.0. Two in back (12) and two in front.

View attachment 471562
Hackintool revealed 15 USB ports. That cannot be right. I did a few other maintenance chores with the tool and somehow made my wife's 9020 unbootable (the EFI and Clover files were fine, something hosed the SDD). I had to resort to the CarbonCopyClone backup and will have to stand down for a while and not bother with the BT.

Hackintool revealed 15 USB ports. That cannot be right
Each USB 3.0 counts as two ports. That would equal 8 right there. Then with two 2.0 ports you should have ten. Post screenshots of what you're seeing in the thread by utterdisbelief and he'll help you sort things out.

Each USB 3.0 counts as two ports. That would equal 8 right there. Then with two 2.0 ports you should have ten. Post screenshots of what you're seeing in the thread by utterdisbelief and he'll help you sort things out.
Never mind the above. In order to configure the ports, especially for an internal WiFi-BT card in the stock PCE slot of a 9020 USFF, I think you have to see BT Host Controller, otherwise you could delete the USB port that it's using, right?

You have to see something like this example to proceed.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.13.39 AM.png

If that's the case, then I am stuck before I can create a custom USB port kext. (It doesn't look that hard now.)

Anyone confirmed recent success with the Yeston 550 4GB from China?
I ordered one from aliexpress on 4/13. It finally came today 5/29. Tried it on a 9020 MT i7 4790 (Catalina) also 7020 SFF i5 4590 (Mojave), with factory PSUs, all work out of the box with no configuration changes. It was recognized as RX 550 / 4GB. 4K thru HDMI on LG 4k monitor seems to be as good as built in HD 4600 display adapter. I don't really have other ways to further benchmark this. The only thing I tried was playing "Costa Rica 4k" from youtube. It still drops frames on i7 occasionally, more significant on i5.

It came with only one half height adapter for HDMI and DVI. No half height adapter for VGA.
Let me know if there are more testings can be done and how.

Attachments

• IMG_7391.JPG
    IMG_7391.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 69
It came with only one half height adapter for HDMI and DVI. No half height adapter for VGA.
Only HDMI and DVI will work with macOS anyway. It looks like it fits perfectly and has a little space between it and the power supply. I didn't expect it to be bright pink, the pics online look more purple than that. I think that you'd see the most performance jump when editing video in iMovie or FCP X when you compare it to the HD4600 graphics. Looks like it's worth the investment. Eventually Apple will drop support for HD4600. This AMD card will have support at least 3 more years if history is any indicator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773ZMVRH/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Amazon has a 2GB RX560 return open box for $91. Best deal on major online retailers. A full height card for the MT model. These will have support in macOS 10.16 coming out this year. Probably also 10.17 and 10.18 if Apple keeps the same OS numbering system till then.

Hello!
First of all, thank you very much for this guide, I had built some hackintosh before, but this one was the easiest! But I have a problem with dual displays. I have a optiplex 9020 USFF and two displays connected via DisplayPort running Catalina. They work if I plug them after login in, if they are connected from boot up, the screen gets black and it doesn't start-up properly.
I have tried changing the SMBIOS to iMac14,3 and it works everything (including sleep) except this.
Thank you so much!

Hello!
First of all, thank you very much for this guide, I had built some hackintosh before, but this one was the easiest! But I have a problem with dual displays. I have a optiplex 9020 USFF and two displays connected via DisplayPort running Catalina. They work if I plug them after login in, if they are connected from boot up, the screen gets black and it doesn't start-up properly.
I have tried changing the SMBIOS to iMac14,3 and it works everything (including sleep) except this.
Thank you so much!
Differences between building with and without additional GPU - see the alternative thread (post 3?)
Seems likely to relate to either BIOS legacy roms not ticked or more likely
config.plist -
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x0d220003</string>

Last edited:
Hello!
Thanks for the fast response. I have the BIOS legacy rooms enabled and I have take a look into config.plist and I have the exact same as you say. Currently I'm trying the config.plist from the HD4600 thread.
Thanks.

Back