Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I just cut off the end of a USB cable and joined it up, works fine, make sure you know what your doing tho.

UPDATED/solved

Just connect RED with RED, BLACK with BLACK, WHITE with WHITE and GREEN (from USB side) to YELLOW (from FENVI female plug).

That's it. Works like a charm!

Old post:
That's exactly what I'm doing now!

For RED and BLACK cables there's no problem: RED is always power and BLACK is always ground.

1) On the USB side, GREEN should be -data and WHITE +data (see attachment).

2) Weirdly enough on the FENVI connector it's WHITE for -data (as it should) and YELLOW (??) for +data, as in 9-pin scheme (see attachment).

@lofidub - Do you agree? Before I might fry everything...

Attachments

• standard_mainboard_connector.gif
    standard_mainboard_connector.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 81
  • usb_side.jpg
    usb_side.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 74
  • actual_fenvi_connector.jpg
    actual_fenvi_connector.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I am in need of some assistance. I've followed the guide verbatim and thus far the guide and the build itself worked good. But since I've installed the suggested Sapphire RX580 and a new Power Supply I can't seem to get past the Apple Boot-Up-Screen. Verbose-Mode cuts off at different statuses, safe mode is also no use. Can't reach the desktop in any way.

Here’s where it shuts off:

EDIT: Now it's working again (for now at least) – seems to be a problem with my DP to DVI-Cable. Who would've thought?

Attachments

• C1987366-E9AA-452F-BAFD-1887198FA999.jpeg
    C1987366-E9AA-452F-BAFD-1887198FA999.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Just got my Nvidia GeForce GT710 from eBay!, and immediately fitted into my 9020. Do I have 5K?, I have the 9020 hooked up to the 42" TV via HDMI.

IMG_2234.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.19.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.23.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.25.33 PM.png

It's a 4K TV. Probably not 5K you're getting. The 710 is limited to 4K.
Thanks for clearing that up :). It is crystal sharp at 4K, so glad I got that card!.

UPDATED/solved

Just connect RED with RED, BLACK with BLACK, WHITE with WHITE and GREEN (from USB side) to YELLOW (from FENVI female plug).

That's it. Works like a charm!

Old post:
That's exactly what I'm doing now!

For RED and BLACK cables there's no problem: RED is always power and BLACK is always ground.

1) On the USB side, GREEN should be -data and WHITE +data (see attachment).

2) Weirdly enough on the FENVI connector it's WHITE for -data (as it should) and YELLOW (??) for +data, as in 9-pin scheme (see attachment).

@lofidub - Do you agree? Before I might fry everything...

Glad you got it sorted. You don't even need the red and black wires connected for this, just the data lines. But it def wont hurt.

Is the RX570/580 MT-only limitation because of the motherboard or the case? So will it work if I swap SFF mobo to a generic ATX case?

Is the RX570/580 MT-only limitation because of the motherboard or the case? So will it work if I swap SFF mobo to a generic ATX case?
Here's a diagram of Dell 9020 SFF motherboard. The blue PCIe x16 (#16 in the diagram) slot is where you would have to install the RX570/80 card if you were to use that board in a non-Dell case.

SFF.png
Do you see where the main SATA0 port is ? (see black arrow) The other two ? The graphics card would block all of them. There is also a front panel connector and HDD power connector in the way. If you install a 570 or 580 that is over 9 inches long you'll block all those ports. You could use special low profile SATA cable adapters but it just adds more expense. Smarter to buy the MT motherboard and use that instead. You can simply buy a barebones 7020/9020 MT Dell and then you get all the extras like the temperature sensor you must have installed to move the Dell motherboard to a new case.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have just make a Catalina fresh install on my 9020 SFF.

This is the reason why I reinstall the system. After 4 or 5 restarts, I have the same message again.

Do you think it's a problem with the SSD ?

Bye

Back