Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I know it’s no fast... I’m looking for an alternative to HD4600 suitable for some light gaming. Possibly under 100 dollars. In Europe cards are much more expensive, even used ones. I was after a Rx 560 but it’s not so cheap and then I have the pci x4 slot already occupied by a fenvi FV-HB12000.
Any real alternative to 710/730 with more power would be welcome!

I've been researching eGPU for my Mac mini mod and came across this, V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External PCIE Graphics Card for Beast Dock Mini PCI-E (eBay). Specifically for laptops but I'm wondering if these can be used on desktops like the SFF which don't have enough room for big graphics cards. It comes in three flavors, NGFF, PCIe and... something else laptop related. I did see one that fit the PCIex4 too.

An external GPU? Mmm... what about a Quadro K2000 (not the “D” version).
Found one dirty cheap... is it a decent choice for Catalina? Would PSU be enough?

Last edited:
The NVIDIA Quadro K2000 does not require any additional power connector, its power draw is rated at 51 W maximum. Quadro K2000 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 interface.

The external "Beast Dock" adds anther $37 to the price of the graphics card so factor that in. Not sure if you need the laptop power brick too for it to work. Maybe @craighazan knows if you'd need that too. The one problem I can see is that Mrtree's SFF Dell doesn't have a mini-PCI-E slot on the motherboard. A different "Beast" with a PCI-E x4 connector would be required.

Last edited:
The external "Beast Dock" adds anther $37 to the price of the graphics card so factor that in. Not sure if you need the laptop power brick too for it to work. Maybe @craighazan knows if you'd need that too.
I'm very interested in finding out, my 9020 only has the mini PCIe X1 slot populated with a network card, I'm currently not using the X4 slot, maybe a SATA to 6 Pin cable would be enough to power a 560 and lower. This is also related to another build I'm doing so it's a bit down the list but I will try it.

Updated.
I don't want to spam this thread with the same image, but here's the link to the post with the image of "Beast Dock". It does use an external DC power supply .

Last edited:
The NVIDIA Quadro K2000 does not require any additional power connector, its power draw is rated at 51 W maximum. Quadro K2000 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 interface.

The external "Beast Dock" adds anther $37 to the price of the graphics card so factor that in. Not sure if you need the laptop power brick too for it to work. Maybe @craighazan knows if you'd need that too. The one problem I can see is that Mrtree's SFF Dell doesn't have a mini-PCI-E slot on the motherboard. A different "Beast" with a PCI-E x4 connector would be required.

@trs96 So a Nvidia Quadro K2000 would definitely fit in my Dell 9020 Sff and work under Catilina directly? Sorry to push, but I found one at 45 euros...!

Last edited:
K2000 would definitely fit in my Dell 9020 Sff
No, it won't fit internally only with an adapter that is outside the case. It's full height. Look at your case dimensions.

No, it won't fit internally only with an adapter that is outside the case. It's full height. Look at your case dimensions.
Oh, shame... you’re right. I checked. It was a great deal...

Which kind of adapter? Is it like modding the case? Is there any reference or guide?
I know I’m a noob, but I got plenty of time due to Covid-19...

Oh, shame... you’re right. I checked. It was a great deal...

Which kind of adapter? Is it like modding the case? Is there any reference or guide?
I know I’m a noob, but I got plenty of time due to Covid-19...
Before doing a mod, take a look at this Yeston RX 550. I have not tested one but many people say they work OOB with Catalina and even Mojave. Price is reasonable and should retain support even in 10.16 later this year.

I like the look of this card, mostly because it can play Far Cry and other gems on the Highest setting. But mainly because it's purple. What a good looking card if I didn't have another build happening I would get this card.

Last edited:
Back