Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Can you recommend a power supply that works with the Dell motherboard
First thing to acquire is the 24 pin to 8 pin adapter from Moddiy.com link is in post #1. Other than that get a 450 to 500W PSU that has the 140mm dimension from the side the power switch is on to the side the cables come out. You can pick the brand you prefer. Good choices are EVGA, Seasonic and Corsair.

Last edited:
If there is anyway to donate or otherwise support the site
Yes, on the home page click on "buy us a cup of coffee" https://www.tonymacx86.com/
The original guide on page 1 of the thread seems to address what to do when you're running Mojave - which doesn't seem to carry over to Catalina. For instance, HFS+ is not available and I am also unsure whether I need to install extra drivers as the drive shows up and formats fine to e.g. Journaled without.
The primary things of importance are: Keep the Clover bootloader (and entire EFI folder) on a SATA SSD (not on the NVMe) and install the NVMe driver to the driversUEFI folder. macOS won't be able to boot directly from the NVMe. You only want the EFI folder on one SATA drive. Come to think of it, you could even keep the EFI on a small USB drive and just keep it plugged in all the time. These have 10 USB ports so it's easy to use a spare 2.0 port for it.
I noticed after coming back to the computer after a couple of hours that, while it was still on, I did not get a video signal (from RX570) to the monitor after turning the monitor on again. I had to power off manually and restart. I think it might have been because the computer went to sleep because the monitor had been turned off, so I have disabled this in Energy Saver (see attached screenshot).
Wake from sleep is one thing that is not resolved yet. It's a problem that most hacks using an AMD card and Mojave/Catalina experience. Just leave sleep disabled for now. Haswell systems are highly energy efficient. When my i7-4790 system is at idle with the screen turned off the power draw is very minimal.
How to do dual-boot with Windows 10 to have the option to occasionally play FPS games. I have a dedicated SSD for this so I don't need to interfere with partitioning or touching the macOS drives. Do I simply unplug the macOS SSD (SATA), plug the Windows SSD (SATA) and install on it - and then use the one-time boot option from BIOS when I need to?
It is best to keep Windows on a separate drive and then simply disconnect the macOS drive when booting into Windows. That way the Clover bootloader doesn't get over written. It's kind of like keeping two kids that don't play well together in separate rooms so the they don't get into a fight.

Last edited:
Anyone got a working EFI for Catalina with a RX560 ? :( can't get it running

A little LED Bling for your OptiMac MT

CoolerMaster i70c (Copper Core) CPU Cooler

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-air-cooler-series-i70c/p/13C-000X-002T8

These have a copper core and will fit into the Dell backplate that is pre-attached to your Mini-Tower motherboard. It's a larger 120mm fan so it should move more air to cool your CPU. Price is more expensive than a Dell OEM cooler and you don't get a side window with the MT. If you are moving your system to another case this might be an option for you.

1584790626444.png

1584790349065.png

1584790387658.png

Last edited:
Has anyone had any issues getting Catalina to install?. I followed the Catalina guide on page 115 and also the steps on page 1. Five hours later I still cant get Clover to boot macOS. I tried verbose. I pretty much tried everything. I am on a 9020 USFF with the built-in video card, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, running BIOS rev A25. I'm wondering if I'm missing some kexts or just don't have this USB key done right. I'm just trying to figure out why this is hanging on safe / non safe mode.

I'm just trying to figure out why this is hanging on safe / non safe mode.
No way to help you if we don't even know which CPU you are using. Fill out all of your hardware profile correctly.

Just used MultiBeast 12 on my 9020, the HWMonitorSMC2 is a great App!. You can pull out all these widgets telling you useful information, or double click and install them in the menubar.

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 3.12.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Just used MultiBeast 12 on my 9020, the HWMonitorSMC2 is a great App!
That looks really useful. Are you on Catalina and using VirtualSMC or still FakeSMC ?
Post a screen shot of MB of the selections you made for others to see how to install it.

Last edited:
Are you on Catalina and using VirtualSMC or still FakeSMC ?
Most definitely VirtualSMC. Did I read somewhere that you shouldn't have both?. I did a fresh install of Catalina yesterday onto 250GB Samsung SSD. I noticed that Multibeast 12 had been released, downloaded and ran it. Clover 5106 was installed, every thing seems ok so far.
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 4.26.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 4.15.03 PM.png

Back