Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Low Profile, Single Slot RX 560 @ Amazon.com
This is kind of like the Unicorn of RX 560s. Didn't think such a card even existed, but here it is. Made by Visiontek.

LP RX560 at Amazon

That's the good news, the bad news is the price they're asking. Over $180 USD. On the plus side, these 560s will give you many more years of compatibility with future macOS versions. The NVS 510 or Quadro K600 may possibly lose support in the next version of macOS, 10.16 coming out this Fall. If you want to or have to, stay on the very latest macOS version for whatever reason, this might make sense for you. Important for those that develop iOS and other apps with Xcode.

You can install one LP RX 560 into your Optiplex and only use up one PCIe slot. Has a small fan and a good sized metal heatsink around it. All four outputs are mini-DP. It's similar to the NVS 510 by Nvidia which also. This does appear to come with a full height bracket for use in the Optiplex MTs. Buy new and you'll get all the extras pictured below. It is best to keep a straight mini-DP to DP connection to your monitor.

1582554232804.png
In the 7020/9020 SFF models it will be a tight fit next to the PSU. I haven't tested one of these yet. If anyone does, let us know how well it fits in the SFF x16 slot on the motherboard.

Screen_Shot_3.png

You can also put it in the x4 slot but you will lose some performance due to the reduced number of available lanes. If you want to run dual or triple 4K monitors, definitely put it in the blue x16 slot instead.

Last edited:
I don't know how to make a debug file but I will upload my whole EFI folder if you guys want it.

What is the resolution of the two displays ?

Both my monitors are 1920 by 1080p
Should be able to get that working. Upload the PR files so we can see what you're doing so far.

Well crap, I got my XFX RX 570 card today and noticed it's got an 8 pin power plug on it. My Cooler master 500 watt power supply only has a 6 pin connector. I did a quick look online and see there are 6 to 8 pin adapters available, but is this recommended?

Well crap, I got my XFX RX 570 card today and noticed it's got an 8 pin power plug on it. My Cooler master 500 watt power supply only has a 6 pin connector. I did a quick look online and see there are 6 to 8 pin adapters available, but is this recommended?
It will still function with a 6 pin power cable plugged in. I do that with my RX 570 and it works. As long as you're not overclocking the 570 or playing highly graphics intensive games it's not a problem. If you feel that you will do those things then get the 6 to 8 pin adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TK3TJY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Last edited:
Really? wow that's cool, I'll give it a try!
The 6 pin power gives your RX570 card an extra 75W of power in addition to the 75W it gets from the x16 slot. If your 570 is ever pulling more than 150W then it could shut down on you. Mine never has.

The 6 pin power gives your RX570 card an extra 75W of power in addition to the 75W it gets from the x16 slot. If your 570 is ever pulling more than 150W then it could shut down on you. Mine never has.

This is the card if you want to browse it. I'm not sure where to check for power requirements

Back