Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Some USB 2.0 BT dongles that will work but not as well as a Wifi/BT combo card. The good news about the 9020 compared to the 9010 is that you don't need to worry about blocking any of your Sata ports as you do with the 9010 models.

I wonder if this would do the trick.

A little more pricey than the rest, but it is angled so wires won't be under pressure when the RX570 is positioned "over" it.

Combined with using the low profile bracket to offset the HB-1200 from the motherboard, I should be able to position the HB-1200 in the opening that corresponds to the PCI slot (white). It stubby end of the low profile bracket won't connect to the insert, but that can be fixed with some fiddling around. And it would be non-intrusive compared to the mod you linked to.

Thoughts?

I wonder if this would do the trick.

A little more pricey than the rest, but it is angled so wires won't be under pressure when the RX570 is positioned "over" it.

Combined with using the low profile bracket to offset the HB-1200 from the motherboard, I should be able to position the HB-1200 in the opening that corresponds to the PCI slot (white). It stubby end of the low profile bracket won't connect to the insert, but that can be fixed with some fiddling around. And it would be non-intrusive compared to the mod you linked to.

Thoughts?
It will depend on whether the x1 slot connector part is low enough to fit under the plastic shroud of your RX570. I would measure the space you've got there first. When I look at my Gigabyte RX 570 it's nearly right against the legacy PCI slot so I think a riser like the one you've linked might be too tall. Maybe @BillyGoatGruff could add his perspective on whether it would fit there. Other than that using the LP bracket sounds like it will work. With the HB-1200 you've only got two antennae to worry about. That makes things easier.

Last edited:
Just wondered if there was anyway to fix the no display when the pc wakes up from sleep mode
With or without an additional GPU? If without, then look at the alternative thread which has slightly different settings where sleep mode works, or try adding the following to a temporary config and select that on boot.

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                AwAiDQ==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                EgQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>enable-hdmi20</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>hda-gfx</key>
                <string>onboard-1</string>
            </dict>
Please feedback as this is a guess.

It will depend on whether the x1 slot connector part is low enough to fit under the plastic shroud of your RX570. I would measure the space you've got there first. When I look at my Gigabyte RX 570 it's nearly right against the legacy PCI slot so I think a riser like the one you've linked might be too tall. Maybe @BillyGoatGruff could add his perspective on whether it would fit there. Other than that using the LP bracket sounds like it will work. With the HB-1200 you've only got two antennae to worry about. That makes things easier.

So, I inserted my MSI RX570 and measured the clearance from the shroud down to the top of the PCIe x1 connector. There's approx 10mm (0.39" to US people). I think this is enough to fit the Delock 41839 riser (the one I linked to above) under it. See attached image. Red line shows where shroud is - sorry that the image is somewhat dark in that area, but it's an awkward angle to snap a photo of :)

Since the riser angles left (flexible cable will point away from GPU, towards the white PCI connector), it also means that I won't have to fold or jam the flexible cable under the GPU and then back towards the free space over the white PCI slot. It's a tight fit as the riser will overlap the capacitor next to the x1 slot but the flexible cable will point up and not down, so should clear fine.

I'm gonna order the riser and hope for the best. Only hiccup now is that it will take a while before I get the Fenvi HB-1200 since it's being shipped from China and all of the effects of the Corona virus outbreak makes everything take even longer than usual. I can use that time for figuring out how to extend the low profile bracket ;-)

Or should I go ahead and build the Optimac now, and then just add the Fenvi when it arrives?

Attachments

• Clearancetoshroud.jpg
    Clearancetoshroud.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I can use that time for figuring out how to extend the low profile bracket ;-)
I personally bought the HB-1200 from Amazon (US). It came with two brackets, a regular and a low profile. ;)

A little side note, I built a budget gaming rig for a friend. I installed an RX580 and a WiFi/Bluetooth card. I ended up installing the Wifi/BT card in the bottom PCIe 4X slot. Not sure if this is an option for you if you intend to utilize that slot differently. Just a little input ;)

If you have Ethernet, I'd say build it now! :D It's so much fun and satisfying once it's all said and done ;)

Last edited:
Or should I go ahead and build the Optimac now, and then just add the Fenvi when it arrives?
Yeah, just use the ethernet for now. Once you get the Wifi/BT card post some pics of how you mount it in the case so others can learn from your experience.

I personally bought the HB-1200 from Amazon (US). It came with two brackets, a regular and a low profile. ;)

A little side note, I built a budget gaming rig for a friend. I installed an RX580 and a WiFi/Bluetooth card. I ended up installing the Wifi/BT card in the bottom PCIe 4X slot. Not sure if this is an option for you if you intend to utilize that slot differently. Just a little input ;)

If you have Ethernet, I'd say build it now! :D It's so much fun and satisfying once it's all said and done ;)

I do plan on using the x4 slot for an NVMe adapter I have and then putting either an EX900 1TB or EX920 1TB in for storage space. Basically I could get away with using a 1TB SATA3 SSD but:
  • I already have an 850 EVO for the macOS part and the NVMe adapter, and the price difference between a 1TB SATA SSD and a 1TB NVMe is negligible (at least here)
  • I want to use the other SATA3 port on the motherboard for a SSD dedicated to Windows 10 for the once-in-a-while gaming session.
I think I will go ahead set up. Just need the PSU converter cable to arrive this week. Found a great deal on 32GB RAM which is arriving today. Finding the deals and getting everything delivered is almost half the fun ;-)

0N5G78 Dell Optiplex Thermal sensor cable and the 7020/9020
This is the listing I saw on Ebay. I didn't buy from this seller but bought the same model 0N5G78 and tried it on a 7020 MT motherboard and it doesn't work.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

What this listing should say is 7010, 9010 along with 790, 990 Dell Optiplex

Fans spin just as fast and loud as without it. Bummer. All the 7020/9020 thermal sensors are much more expensive. If you can even find one for sale.

In case you don't know the function of this sensor, it measures the in case temps and tells the fans to ramp speed up if the temps are too high. When you don't have one or use one not for the 7020/9020 the fans run at full speed all the time. Without it the fans are completely maxed out, no PWM control. Noise levels get too high for comfortable computing.

It's not a complete loss as I can use it with a 7010/9010 MT motherboard. Those are very affordable too.

Screen_Shot_6.png

Looks like currently the only way to get one is to buy a refurb 7020 or 9020 MT that includes it. Really too bad that resellers ask nearly as much for these as a working 7020/9020 motherboard. The cost of the wires and thermistor by themselves is probably less than ten cents.

My hope is that this helps someone to not make the same mistake.

Here's a video from Dell that shows you where it's located at.

Q: What to do if you have no thermal sensor and can't buy one that will work ?
A: There are Noctua low noise adapters that you can use to slow down the fans to reasonable speeds.

This is a more affordable solution than paying $15-17 for a Dell 7020/9020 MT thermal sensor cable.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

You would also need these 5 pin to 4 pin adapters to use the 4 pin LN adapters shown above.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy High Prices for the MSI RX560 4GB Full Height model
Here's the cost of a 4GB model on Amazon right now:

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Lowest price shipped is $326 ? Crazy. You can buy a much more powerful AMD card for that amount of money. Like an RX 5700 with 8GB of DDR6 Vram. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XVMXBQW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The 2GB version though sells for only $104.99. Should you buy one at that price ? Yes, if you don't do any serious gaming and will only use 1 or 2 1080p or 1440p monitors, it can work well in your MT Dell Optiplex. Support in macOS will last much longer for the RX560 than it will for any Catalina compatible Nvidia Kepler based graphics card. Those cost from 20-50 dollars for a K600 or GT 710 but will probably not have support in 10.16 or possibly will only lose support by 10.17 in 2021. We'll find out by June of this year at WWDC.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7YMBFC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy High Prices for the MSI RX560 4GB Full Height model
Here's the cost of a 4GB model on Amazon right now:

View attachment 451002
Lowest price shipped is $326 ? Crazy. You can buy a much more powerful AMD card for that amount of money.

The 2GB version though sells for only $104.99. Should you buy one at that price ? Yes, if you don't do any serious gaming and will only use 1 or 2 1080p or 1440p monitors, it can work well in your MT Dell Optiplex. Support in macOS will last much longer for the RX560 than it will for any Catalina compatible Nvidia Kepler based graphics card. Those cost from 20-50 dollars for a K600 or GT 710 but will probably not have support in 10.16 or possibly will only lose support by 10.17 in 2021. We'll find out by June of this year at WWDC.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7YMBFC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
View attachment 451003
Meanwhile an aftermarket RX 560 card would cost about only 50 USD...

Back