Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

It's compatible. Was it used in a mining rig ? Any kind of return options. Sometimes cheap parts end up being costly.

Not sure on what it was used for, I'll ask the seller some questions

A thing I want to be sure I understand - and thank you for your tolerance, I'm reading the manuals but haven't found/understood an answer yet.
When I install the Adapter for the NVME drive, does that eliminate the use of the Fenvi Wireless PCIe adapter? Or have I confused the required slots?

When I install the Adapter for the NVME drive, does that eliminate the use of the Fenvi Wireless PCIe adapter? Or have I confused the required slots?
NVMe adapter goes in the x4 slot. Fenvi card in the x1. The single slot gfx card goes in the x16. A dual slot gfx card will likely block the x1 slot. Refer to the pictures and you'll see it all. It's a shame the board was not designed with the x1 and PCI (white) slot reversed. Then it would be no problem to use dual width gfx cards. We have to live with it.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

"NVMe adapter goes in the x4 slot. Fenvi card in the x1. The single slot gfx card goes in the x16."

Thank you. It was when I looked at that image that I started to worry. Monday is often my 'gaseous brain indigestion day'.

"It's a shame the board was not designed with the x1 and PCI (white) slot reversed."

Boy howdy. That would have been far, far better.

Last edited:
I am having an issue that I cant understand whether it will affect if I try to upgrade:
I bought a new SSD drive and CCC my old drive and copied ( I cant remember exactly how I did !) EFI folder manually. It works all fine and I am not having any issues.
Today I wanted to give it a go Catalina upgrade, now bizarrely when I mount EFI partition of OS drive, it does not contain what normally EFI folder does

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 19.44.41.png

However, there is another EFI partition that does not to be mounted at all and contains all normal file structure you expect to see

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 19.47.23.png

Disk utility shows as follow

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 19.49.06.png

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 19.49.15.png

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 19.49.23.png

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 19.49.33.png

So What should I do now? If I upgrade as normal through AppStore, will it be all OK? Or should I fix anything before I attempt it?

Regards

Last edited:
So What should I do now? If I upgrade as normal through AppStore, will it be all OK?
I'm not really sure what you did to create 2 EFI partitions. Instead of cloning the original Mojave drive why not wipe the new SSD ( the one you cloned to ) and do a clean install of Catalina (with a UniBeast 10.0 USB) on it as per the Catalina mini guide instructions ? That makes your old working Mojave drive the backup that you know is still bootable. A lot has changed in Catalina and the EFI folder produced by Unibeast is completely different than the one for Mojave.

The Clover folder file structure is changed with 5102 (Used in Unibeast 10.0) and virtualsmc is included instead of fakesmc. This is why I think it's best to clean install Catalina rather than upgrading from Mojave. It's just easier.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what you did to create 2 EFI partitions. Instead of cloning the original Mojave drive why not wipe the new SSD ( the one you cloned to ) and do a clean install of Catalina (with a UniBeast 10.0 USB) on it as per the Catalina mini guide instructions ? That makes your old working Mojave drive the backup that you know is still bootable. A lot has changed in Catalina and the EFI folder produced by Unibeast is completely different than the one for Mojave.

The Clover folder file structure is changed with 5102 (Used in Unibeast 10.0) and virtualsmc is included instead of fakesmc. This is why I think it's best to clean install Catalina rather than upgrading from Mojave. It's just easier.
The old Mojave drive is now gone ( I used it for my old 6300 for my work). If I do a clean install of Catalina, will I be able to use my TimeMachine back up to restore my files ( not settings )? I have restored from my TM backups a few times in the past and I can do it again if possible.

The old Mojave drive is now gone ( I used it for my old 6300 for my work). If I do a clean install of Catalina, will I be able to use my TimeMachine back up to restore my files ( not settings )? I have restored from my TM backups a few times in the past and I can do it again if possible.
In that scenario I would create a UniBeast 10.0 installer first. Then customize it just like in the Mini guide for Catalina. Once that is done, copy & paste that EFI folder to the EFI of your current Mojave drive (back up the old EFI first). If you want to keep all your old Serials used in Mojave get those from your old EFI so your can restore those in the new Catalina config.plist. Just open in CC and copy them over.

In Catalina we are now keeping all kexts in the Clover/kexts/other folder so remove all kexts from /L/E folder installed for Mojave previously. Then either upgrade via the app store or just run the UB installer but don't format the hard drive when doing the Catalina install.

Finished my optiplex 9020 today by following your guide and works so well thanks. Just wondered if there was anyway to fix the no display when the pc wakes up from sleep mode

Back