Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

For a bit of background, this is my first hackintosh build. I followed this guide word for word, updated to Catalina immediately after Mojave install; no issues. And now this update seems to be okay. Just wanted to let the rest of the community know that my update was successful with no issues (... so far).
What were your expectations before undertaking this project ?

What were your expectations before undertaking this project ?

I didn't really have any expectations other than hoping it would work. I wanted to build one in 2018 for an iOS course I was taking at University. But I didn't have the funds to build one. My friend told me about the Optiplex 9020 for use as a budget gaming rig. I then Googled optiplex 9020 hackintosh, and it brought me here. I decided to buy all the parts and make it happen. All in all, I've enjoyed the entire process. Your documentation made me feel confident in being able to pull it off. I love that this is remaining as a living document after so many years of the initial post. Now I want to contribute the bit that I can ;)

I've enjoyed the entire process. Your documentation made me feel confident in being able to pull it off. I love that this is remaining as a living document after so many years of the initial post.
Yes, I wrote this in great detail so beginners could get it working right away. The original post was May 24, 2019 so it's only been up for about 9 months. I think that most 7020/9020 owners will be able to keep running the lastest macOS for a good amount of time. Some people are even using HD3000 graphics and Nvidia cards from 2009 with Catalina currently which is totally amazing.

In my opinion the best way to run Windows on a hack is in a VM. You can install Parallels for Mac and then install Windows. The product key you got with your Dell should work. If you have 32 GB of RAM and the i7, it will be no problem. It wouldn't be great for gaming in Windows though. That's where having a separate PC with Win10 installed is good idea.

To answer your first question, no complaints whatsoever. She loves it and can't believe how quick it is.

The new monitor is gorgeous and speakers are good enough for integrated speakers.

Ooh, hadn't thought of just using Parallels. Its more for productivity than anything. All gaming is currently done on consoles.

Hello everyone,
I just updated to 10.15.3. So far no issues...
So did I. Updating went smooth. I only had to move the DisplayPort input from RX 590 to upper DP in the computer case to see what was going on.

I've using Catalina from mid December with no issues.

BTW, thanks trs96 for your explendid work! This thread should belong to a Palladium Builds category. :clap:

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 57
This thread should belong to a Palladium Builds category.
Thanks. Glad you are enjoying your OptiMac build. I'll let @Stork know that we should add that new category to The Build section. Great idea. I would think that the Gigabyte Designare Golden Build should be in an exclusive tier like that as CaseySJ has raised the bar pretty high with that one. Well over a million views in one year and tens of thousands doing that build is something we've never seen here before.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the 10.14.6 security update on Mojave? any advise on the proper way to atempt it?

Dell Refurbished has 9020s on sale for 50% off. Sale ends 2/5.

New, For a Limited Time: 50% off 9020 OptiPlex Desktops, plus free ground ship. Use coupon code: 9020DEAL4U

*Coupons apply to online orders only. Coupons not valid on Clearance item

Dell Refurbished has 9020s on sale for 50% off. Sale ends 2/5.
It looks as if there are no SFF or MT form factor versions left. The only 9020s left are USFF models with i3 CPUs that have just HD4400 graphics. Those are not the best choices. You can upgrade the CPU to an i5 with HD4600 but by that time you're spending well over $150 when an SFF Dell 9020 with an i5 installed can easily be acquired for that price or less. Hopefully Dell will get more of the SFFs and MTs in stock for the 50% off sale. They always sell out fast because gamers love those versions to convert them into low cost gaming rigs.

Here's the average specs and price before taking 50% off:

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Here's an i5-4570 SFF on newegg that is selling fro $149. Has the advantage of two PCIe slots + you get HD4600 OOB supported graphics.

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-9020-business-desktops-amp-workstations/p/1VK-0001-16MX4

Last edited:
Back