Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Ok. I'll have to grab one tomorrow as it's late here. I tried again and the BIOS settings were identical to the tutorial and I still go the flashing white light no amber. FWIW I followed a vanilla install and Mojave installed and I could boot to it multiple times, but then I tried to do the kexts/efi stuff on the second half of this tutorial and it hung and wouldn't boot w/o the USB in. Here are the 2 things that "caught my eye" but they aren't obvious errors but maybe you will notice something I don't. Again i'll grab a new battery tomorrow and try again after softball. Thanks!!!!

Sorta sounds like Clover isn't installed on your HDD correctly, if it boots from the USB, you don't need to reinstall macOS. Just boot via the USB and take a careful look how Clover is set-up on the HDD.
Ensure its installed on the HDD EFI partition (make it visible using the Hackintool) and has all the Kext and drivers copied in to the correct folders (as per these instructions and your USB.)

Ok I guess i'll go over it again. I'm a software engineer, so I understand when peopie say they have followed the instructions perfectly, and sometimes they haven't. But the instructions are pretty straight forward (while some of it isn't super clear). I have followed it step by step. But I'll try again, and see if I can't find where I made my mistake.

Thanks

And mind you when I got Mojave installed it was NOT this tutorial. I could not get it to finish so I followed another vanilla install tutorial. Mojave installed and then I followed the last part of this tutorial because the other one didn't have the rest, and that's how I got stuck with it booting from USB but not on it's own.

@lofidub OK. So I replaced the CMOS with a brand new one. Started over fresh and even put a new hard drive I had laying around in the Optiplex (standard mechanical HDD). Created the bootable drive from my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Used UniBeast 9.2.0 (even though there is a newer version just following the guide). Before unmounting I delete and replace the config.plist from the guide, put the USBInjectAll in the kexts/other folder. Downloaded custom SSTDs and unzipped and put those int eh Clover/ACPI/patched folder. Put the HFSPlus.efi in the Drivers-UEFI folder. BIOS is at A25 (updated this from Windows). Quadruple checked the BIOS settings, and everything is correct per the guide. Boot from USB and the install looks like it's installing, and I go back to the flashing white lights (the sleep per your response yesterday). Attached is the last thing I see before it goes into that sleep mode. What idiot part am I missing here? lol

In the verbose screenshot I see "Unsupported CPU" followed by "Unsupported PCH". I have built desktops before and fix desktops and laptops. So I'm "relatively" good with them. I'm down to try anything to figure this out. Also attached the power sleep settings just because you said the flashing white is sleep.

Thanks for looking and the help.

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 72
  • hack1.jpg
    hack1.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 61
@lofidub OK. So I replaced the CMOS with a brand new one. Started over fresh and even put a new hard drive I had laying around in the Optiplex (standard mechanical HDD). Created the bootable drive from my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Used UniBeast 9.2.0 (even though there is a newer version just following the guide). Before unmounting I delete and replace the config.plist from the guide, put the USBInjectAll in the kexts/other folder. Downloaded custom SSTDs and unzipped and put those int eh Clover/ACPI/patched folder. Put the HFSPlus.efi in the Drivers-UEFI folder. BIOS is at A25 (updated this from Windows). Quadruple checked the BIOS settings, and everything is correct per the guide. Boot from USB and the install looks like it's installing, and I go back to the flashing white lights (the sleep per your response yesterday). Attached is the last thing I see before it goes into that sleep mode. What idiot part am I missing here? lol

In the verbose screenshot I see "Unsupported CPU" followed by "Unsupported PCH". I have built desktops before and fix desktops and laptops. So I'm "relatively" good with them. I'm down to try anything to figure this out. Also attached the power sleep settings just because you said the flashing white is sleep.

OK so you are able to boot to USB, format the HDD and get the installer going. But upon the first restart, it goes to the flashing white power button (similar to sleep), black screen and doesn't complete the install, correct?
You are using the onboard graphics via the Display port?
No other cards installed?
Can you send a picture of your boot sequence in the bios? And also picture of Clover/Kexts/other folder?
Have you tried different USB ports?
I'm grasping at straws, as it sounds like you have done it correctly.

IIRC, the "unsupported" messages are always there, and sort of a red herring. I don't think that has anything to do with the problems.

How long did you wait at the prompt before giving up? It can be very very slow sometimes. After rebooting, you also have to make sure the right installer option/entry in the Clover boot screen is selected each time. I've let it accidentally go into trying to boot off the installed Hackintosh instead of the installer and it got stuck before.

1579648714811.png

@lofidub The USB boots but I never get to the point of formatting the HDD. It will look like it's installing for 10-20 mins and then shut off and do the white flashing light on the power button. If I hit any buttons on the keyboard it will restart but then it just does the same thing.

I'm using the onboard graphics but using the VGA didn't think that would cause an issue till I wanted 4k but I can definitely try through the DP.

No other cards. I had a Fenvi WiFi/BT card in there but pulled it out just in case.

I have tried 2 of the 4 USB ports on the front same result

Attached are the images you requested.

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 4.29.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 4.29.02 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
@rhhousehold, the macOS never shows up. I don't ever get that far. I don't personally restart it. The computer itself shuts off, and then the power button flashes a white light. I let it sit for hours, and it wont restart until I touch a key on the keyboard. Then I make sure the USB is selected (which at this point there is no other option).

I'm using the onboard graphics but using the VGA didn't think that would cause an issue till I wanted 4k but I can definitely try through the DP.
I'm really not sure how anyone could miss this. I made it as obvious as possible.
The key sentence is: "Apple stopped supporting analog VGA connections over ten years ago."

Screen Shot 29.jpg

Back