Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

@nicksoph I noticed that ResExtreme thought my connection to the SyncMaster was ‘built in’. So did I accidentally match the internal eDP of the iMac by using an an active DP-HDMI adapter and HDMI-DVI cable?.

Last edited:
Thank you @craighazan for having shared your config. I compare with my config file, and they are 99% identical. However, I use your config in my machine and still no solution.

did I accidentally match the internal eDP
I'm not sure but I think not - I get the same thing on mine.
The settings for the GPU are the most compatible of the options normally available but are not correct in all aspects. There is something unusual with the HD4600 and Whatevergreen settings but Im not capable of properly describing those issues and if anyone can get someone who knows about GPU setup options to properly describe or fix the issue.

your config in my machine and still no solution
The use of HDMI seems to work 'sometimes' but which set of things make it work is pretty unclear, the type of cable (passive or active convertors) and the monitors capability (HDMI versions) clearly make a difference but the actual criteria for a working dual HDMI monitor system is not known and the only way I know of getting 2 monitors to work is to either use DP cables or an external GPU - the GT710 is the cheapest option but has not for 4k, see post 1 for others.

Last edited:
@Seemog check out techmartllc on eBay, he has 99.7% rating. I bought my 9020 barebone for $40 from him and it arrived brand new. He has some graphics cards that would fit our systems and you won’t be paying much for them. Just check compatibility like nicksoph says and refer to post 1.

@Seemog check out techmartllc on eBay, he has 99.7% rating. I bought my 9020 barebone for $40 from him and it arrived brand new. He has some graphics cards that would fit our systems and you won’t be paying much for them. Just check compatibility like nicksoph says and refer to post 1.

I'm from Portugal. Buying from US is not an option, unfortunately :( , because of customs taxes.
I will try to buy an Nvidea Quadro NVS510 (4x monitor and low power consuption, but future support in risk ?!?!?)
or AMD Rx570/580 (4x monitor, more power consuption, but better future compliance).
I didn't want to spend more money, but... :)

Thank you

I spent my money on a 4k monitor because my GPU requirement was otherwise low and the 4600 copes well with it - as long as its on a dp

I spent my money on a 4k monitor because my GPU requirement was otherwise low and the 4600 copes well with it - as long as its on a dp
Coincidentally, I just got a news alert saying Best Buy is having a huge PC sale this weekend, including Monitors. I might cast my eye over that!.

EDIT: Don't attempt this without first making a bootable backup of your System drive. After that test it by changing SMBIOS in Clover Options. See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...4k-27-ips-monitor.277811/page-55#post-2002955

The 2014 Mac Mini is Haswell based and did have an HDMI port. It could only do 1080p/60Hz though, not even 1440p. It could produce a Retina resolution only through the 2 mini DPs.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Screen Shot 15.jpg

So, if anyone wants to experiment with mac mini 7,1 system def for dual 1080p monitors that is one area we have not looked into yet.

Last edited:
So, if anyone wants to experiment with mac mini 7,1 system def for dual 1080p monitors that is one area we have not looked into yet.
That’ll be me later!.....
Oh dear!, I don’t think my 9020 likes the 7,1 sys def, I’ll unbrick it in the morning. Though I did have the dual monitors at 2K with my 15,1 sys def. though admittedly it does look letter boxed on the SyncMaster.

Last edited:
May have been doing more than is needed for 4k - UEFI firmware edits may be unnecessary and all that's needed is the framebuffer patch. Details here

If anyone tries getting 4k without first making the uefi firmware edits - would they please feedback on how it went, Id like to know if it is possible to get 4k working without ever unlocking the Cfg Lock.

Back