Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Just wanted to add that my SysDef is 15.1. I haven’t had a problem with dual monitors, on either Catalina Beta or Windows 10 pro. I’m not in front of my computer else I would upload my configplist.
Are you using a straight DP to DP connection or adapting it to HDMI ?

I'm using straight DP to DP connections.

edit: Sorry DP to HDMI (single cable, no adaptors), since my monitor doesn't have DP ports (Benq GW2280)

Just wanted to add that my SysDef is 15.1. I haven’t had a problem with dual monitors, on either Catalina Beta or Windows 10 pro. I’m not in front of my computer else I would upload my configplist.
I try and change SMBIOS from 14,2 to 15,1. Still not working

Sorry trs96, I should clarify that that’s currently my 7020 with a RX560. HDMI-HDMI E24 and DP-DVI Samsung Syncmaster, (old). And the sysdef is 6.2 2012 Mac Mini. I would have to be in front of the 9020 to confirm, I have used dual monitors but can’t remember which cables I used.

Last edited:
@Seemog several differences between building with and without eGPU - see post#3 of the alternative thread.
They work best with DisplayPort to DisplayPort connectors but can work with DP to HDMI cables in some circumstances but I cant help very much specifying which ones because I have not found a pattern - but System Definitions and Cables both effect how well they work, you might try out any cables you have against 14,3 and 15,1 sys defs.

@Seemog several differences between building with and without eGPU - see post#3 of the alternative thread.
They work best with DisplayPort to DisplayPort connectors but can work with DP to HDMI cables in some circumstances but I cant help very much specifying which ones because I have not found a pattern - but System Definitions and Cables both effect how well they work, you might try out any cables you have against 14,3 and 15,1 sys defs.

No I make it worst...

1st I tried some other cables and adapters that I've. Not many, but no difference.

2nd I realize that I had BIOS version A24 (I've updated it some time ago). So I updated to last one: A25.
After this, single monitor boot is OK, but now I connect the second monitor and it displays nothing :( .
When I try a boot with 2 monitors connected, still not working.

I've only one hope: format and start over again with a fresh installation, hopping that in one way or another I get 2 monitors again.

Thank you all, for trying to help me.

@Seemog check BIOS setting - Allow legacy ROMs - if you are only using the HD4600 GPU then there should be a tick in it.
Can both your monitors use DP?

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay!. Yes it works!, booted no problems. The E24, (on the right) is connected via DP - HDMI. The SyncMaster is connected via an active DP - MDMI adapter, HDMI - DVI. I've attached my config.plist if you want to check for differences, I did 'alter' the BIOS to unlock the DVMT, but no other changes!. I use the dual monitor setup for gaming with my BluEye G5, which has a 7020 motherboard. The SyncMaster is a bit off color, green!, but I found a nice earth like planet with rings no less!, in No Mans Sky, so it's ok.
Just noticed that ResExtreme thinks the SyncMaster is 'Built in!'. That's via an active DP - HDMI adapter and a HDMI - DVI cable. So would 4K work on a 27" monitor over DP - DVI?.

IMG_0732.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 10.19.36 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I use cables HDMI |---------|DP
A dual monitor setup will work with DP to DP cables for both monitors with just the internal GPU, and it may work with cables that are not DP to DP but I do not know what is causing some HDMI monitors/settings to work and some HDMI settings not to. @craighazan has worked on this and it would be sensible to value his advice.

Last edited:
Back