Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

always close to 3.60 GHz
I think its expected behaviour - caused by CPU settings - see earlier discussion between me and trs96 in the current thread about the pros and cons - and if you have no external gpu - look here - for config.plist differences (No tick in Plugintype) that gets speedstep working.

Last edited:
I think its expected behaviour - caused by CPU settings - see earlier discussion between me and trs96 in the current thread about the pros and cons - and if you have no external gpu - look here - for config.plist differences (No tick in Plugintype) that gets speedstep working.
Thanks! I switched it and now it is idling as expected. Will switch back if I have any stability issues.

I wouldn't mind just losing a port if it came down to it. I would rather have one non-working USB port than an external cable route. I will attempt this when I get some free time.
If you want to keep it all internal, the best way IMO is to disassemble the front IO panel and disconnect the D+ and D- from one of the USB ports to use for your BT connection. IF you leave the +5V and Ground connected to the USB port (typically red and black) then at least you will have a USB port that provides power for charging/power to a USB device; the port is not entirely wasted.

You can check out my post on my Sleeper PC for some images on disassembly of the IO panel.

Ya. I lot of that went over my head. So I will just leave it normal.
Long and the short of it - not having the tick sets it up so one of the Apple Kexts does nothing. It is very stable and uses less power without the tick but you may not get the highest performance out of the CPU. If you followed these instructions but don't have an additional GPU you don't need to make any other changes unless you have a 2nd monitor in which case you may have sleep issues.

Long and the short of it - not having the tick sets it up so one of the Apple Kexts does nothing. It is very stable and uses less power without the tick but you may not get the highest performance out of the CPU. If you followed these instructions but don't have an additional GPU you don't need to make any other changes unless you have a 2nd monitor in which case you may have sleep issues.
I'm not sure if it's a reliable metric, but there has been no discernible difference in Geekbench scores ticked or not in my tests. But it certainly makes sense there would be a performance hit considering the frequencies. I also didn't notice a big difference in power consumption (Intel Power Gadget).

I do have two monitors and have a lot of weird sleep issues anyway. It used to sleep normally but then was only able to be woken up by the power button, which was fine. Now it goes to sleep for ~3 seconds, turns back on but displays stay off. The displays will come on if I use the keyboard or mouse (good, but wasn't actually sleeping). Then it shows the Apple loading bar for a second, and then eventually comes up to the login screen with everything still there. I have no idea what could have changed to alter the behavior. I may just start over now that I have all the proper hardware in place.

Redid a lot of USB settings using Hackintool and now my sleep is working normally and I can wake using the keyboard. Will update this with more info when I get some time.

Last edited:
@chuckw - thanks for the info. Be interesting to see what USB settings changes you made. The spinoff thread was supposed to deal with those sleep issues that take place without a gpu but if I remember rightly, these were fixed there, with a bios setting.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's a reliable metric, but there has been no discernible difference in Geekbench scores ticked or not in my tests. But it certainly makes sense there would be a performance hit considering the frequencies. I also didn't notice a big difference in power consumption (Intel Power Gadget).
When setting PluginType=1 it is "supposed to" give you CPU PM but that hasn't been my experience. I'm not sure why this is but it only seems to happen with Haswell systems such as the Optiplex 7020/9020. I believe it's caused by ACPI issues but haven't found that "needle in the haystack" yet. I don't see any major differences is power consumption either way so it's not a problem when you don't set PluginType to 1.
Redid a lot of USB settings using Hackintool and now my sleep is working normally and I can wake using the keyboard. Will update this with more info when I get some time.
I'd be interested to see what is working for you by using Hackintool. Are you using the USBPorts kext instead of a USB SSDT and USBinjectall kext ?

Last edited:
I narrowed down the sleep issue to the BT USB plug. If I unplugged the cable it would sleep/wake normally*. I found some posts that said if it is plugged into an "external" USB port then it must be configured to show as internal, otherwise, it will cause sleep issues. So I went through Hackintool, following the help instructions, and added a few PCIID kexts that it recommended for the specific device, marked the BT USB port as internal, and added the SSDT that it exported. I also removed some other SSDT that had USB in the name (maybe unnecessary, just trying things). Right now I have the USBPorts kext and the Hackintool SSDT installed (USBinjectall removed). The instructions said to do one or the other, but I have not tested removing the kext yet. I removed the SSDT and it stopped sleeping normally, so I believe I only needed the SSDT.

This may only be helpful for people with an SFF and external BT usb header plug.

* Some weird wake behavior (brief loading bar and multiple display refreshes) but works.

Last edited:
I narrowed down the sleep issue to the BT USB plug. If I unplugged the cable it would sleep/wake normally*. I found some posts that said if it is plugged into an "external" USB port then it must be configured to show as internal, otherwise, it will cause sleep issues. So I went through Hackintool, following the help instructions, and added a few PCIID kexts that it recommended for the specific device, marked the BT USB port as internal, and added the SSDT that it exported. I also removed some other SSDT that had USB in the name (maybe unnecessary, just trying things). Right now I have the USBPorts kext and the Hackintool SSDT installed (USBinjectall removed). The instructions said to do one or the other, but I have not tested removing the kext yet. I removed the SSDT and it stopped sleeping normally, so I believe I only needed the SSDT.

This may only be helpful for people with an SFF and external BT usb header plug.

* Some weird wake behavior (brief loading bar and multiple display refreshes) but works.

Can you share your extra files? Wouldn't mind doing a quick test.
Also it sounds like the USB BT dongle needs to be in a specific port when using your files?

Back