Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Was there any tricks/kexts required to get this card working?
I've got WiFi working well but BT isn't detected. I have the BT header on the card plugged in to a external USB port via an adapter, but it isnt detected. Nothing shows in the USB tab in the hackintool app. Also, when I plug the USB in to a windows machine, I just see something about a descriptor error..blah, blah...and it cant read the device ID or anything. (Sorry, not infront of the computer at the moment.)

I'm thinking I may have a defective card, but wanted to check first.
Post a link to the adapter, 9 pin USB, that you bought.

Post a link to the adapter, 9 pin USB, that you bought.

I wired one up myself, using standard Mobo USB header wiring. I can try swapping the +/- data lines but it tested just fine on my multimeter.
So nothing extra was needed to get it to work? ...damn.

Thanks.

@Daneland,

If your using a BT combo card in tower case and the antennas are at the rear of the case then try this :-

I think I have narrowed down the problem a bit. Removed the RX570 to use the onboard HD4600 alone. Does not Wake from Sleep, just as it was with the RX570. Go to BIOS and enabled (ticked) "Legacy Option ROMs", Sleep and Wake works fine with no other changes. So, we need to first get 4600 + No-Legacy-Option-ROMS to work properly with Sleep/Wake.

Either that or figure out how to get RX570 to work well with the Legacy-option-ROMS

Nick/Dane, can you confirm that Sleep/Wake works without the Legacy-Option-ROM ticked for you with onboard HD4600? Thanks...!
I am sorry mate, I have never tried this configuration.

I think I have narrowed down the problem a bit. Removed the RX570 to use the onboard HD4600 alone. Does not Wake from Sleep, just as it was with the RX570. Go to BIOS and enabled (ticked) "Legacy Option ROMs", Sleep and Wake works fine with no other changes. So, we need to first get 4600 + No-Legacy-Option-ROMS to work properly with Sleep/Wake.

Either that or figure out how to get RX570 to work well with the Legacy-option-ROMS

Nick/Dane, can you confirm that Sleep/Wake works without the Legacy-Option-ROM ticked for you with onboard HD4600? Thanks...!
As you say HD4600 seems to need legacy rooms ticked to work with sleep.

Thanks for the guide.

I bought an Optiplex 9020 SFF (i7-4790 + 8 GB ram) for $160 on eBay. I also had a BCM94360CS2 + M.2 adapter sitting around from previous failed Hackintosh attempts. Found a $15 PCIe to M.2 adapter and a $7 USB header adapter and WiFi/BT works perfectly. No more terrible Bluetooth dongles.

Everything is working great. Can't wake from sleep with the keyboard or mouse (even after enabling Legacy ROMs), but I don't really care since I can just push the power button and it wakes normally. This may also be due to updating to 10.14.6. It was working before I did that.

Totally recommend this for anyone who has tried and failed with Hackintoshes before. If you don't mind having a larger computer, the MT option is way better for GPU options and has an internal USB header available, but I prefer the smaller form factor.

Was there any tricks/kexts required to get this card working?
I've got WiFi working well but BT isn't detected. I have the BT header on the card plugged in to a external USB port via an adapter, but it isnt detected. Nothing shows in the USB tab in the hackintool app. Also, when I plug the USB in to a windows machine, I just see something about a descriptor error..blah, blah...and it cant read the device ID or anything. (Sorry, not infront of the computer at the moment.)

I'm thinking I may have a defective card, but wanted to check first.

If you bought the same adapter I did (CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable), only the 5 pin side of the pins are connected, which was the wrong side for my PCIe card cable. I had to pull a pin from the adapter (across from the blank pin) and then install the PCIe usb cable offset (some pins will be exposed). A bit janky, but it hides in the case anyway. Just make sure you check both cables for proper pin connection.

Thanks for the guide.

I bought an Optiplex 9020 SFF (i7-4790 + 8 GB ram) for $160 on eBay. I also had a BCM94360CS2 + M.2 adapter sitting around from previous failed Hackintosh attempts. Found a $15 PCIe to M.2 adapter and a $7 USB header adapter and WiFi/BT works perfectly. No more terrible Bluetooth dongles.

Everything is working great. Can't wake from sleep with the keyboard or mouse (even after enabling Legacy ROMs), but I don't really care since I can just push the power button and it wakes normally. This may also be due to updating to 10.14.6. It was working before I did that.

Totally recommend this for anyone who has tried and failed with Hackintoshes before. If you don't mind having a larger computer, the MT option is way better for GPU options and has an internal USB header available, but I prefer the smaller form factor.

If you bought the same adapter I did (CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable), only the 5 pin side of the pins are connected, which was the wrong side for my PCIe card cable. I had to pull a pin from the adapter (across from the blank pin) and then install the PCIe usb cable offset (some pins will be exposed). A bit janky, but it hides in the case anyway. Just make sure you check both cables for proper pin connection.
Take a look at my post about the Optiplex SFF. The CRJ cable actually has all pins wired.... or at least it did on the one I received, despite the included notes saying they are not.

This post shows the connected wiring.

Take a look at my post about the Optiplex SFF. The CRJ cable actually has all pins wired.... or at least it did on the one I received, despite the included notes saying they are not.

This post shows the connected wiring.

Wow. Nice and clean. I might have to redo my wiring like that. I was also thinking about stealing a front USB 2 port to make it totally internal (if possible) but was not confident in my abilities. Right now I just took out the other PCIe bracket and routed through that. I am pretty sure they actually didn't connect all the pins on my adapter. Bluetooth would not register until I connected it to the 5 pin row (after removing the S-GRD/No Connect to allow insertion).

Last edited:
Also, my CPU (i7-4790) frequency is almost always close to 3.60 GHz, even when idling. Is this expected behavior? Shouldn't it idle lower? I am not noticing any stability issues though, so it's not a big deal.

I was also thinking about stealing a front USB 2
FYI. There are only 2 connections that actually get to the card. It gets its power from the PCI slot and only needs the data connections (D+ D-) from a USB port/header. If You have an old USB cable, cut off the end which wont plug into the PC; the red and black wires will be power and the other 2 (normally green and white) are D+ and D- which you can splice with the cable that comes with the card to test or wire in directly. The clever bit will be trying to find a point inside the case where you can connect to a USB line without interrupting the current connection and then you can do without the USB plug or any external connectors.

The clever bit will be trying to find a point inside the case where you can connect to a usb line without interrupting the current connection and then you can do without the USB plug or any external connectors.
I wouldn't mind just losing a port if it came down to it. I would rather have one non-working USB port than an external cable route. I will attempt this when I get some free time.

Back