Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Do you have a GPU in your sff? I was looking at the manual and it looks real limited.
Not using one right now but it can only take a single slot card like the Quadro K600 or NVS 510. So any AMD cards that are not single slot LP workstation cards are out of the picture. For anyone who wants an AMD RX card, the Mini-Tower is the better way to go.

Last edited:
Received two very dirty SFF 7020's with G3240 pentium processors and 4GB ram + DVD-R only. Cleaned them and swapped out processors for i5-4440 and upped to 8GB RAM. Installed Windows and Updated BIOS to A12, swapped drive to the other machine and updated its BIOS to A11. Had already prepared Mojave using this guide with all the files needed :). On a 180GB no name SSD I installed OSX with trs96 config.plist, and all (six) kexts in /other on usb and with HFSPlus.efi in Drivers64UEFI folder. Everything came up. Then, I installed Clover and ran Configurator to set Sys Defs, and mount partition and copy over files to UEFI/Clover on the hard drive. Duplicated the setup as on the USB; i.e., putting nothing in /Library/Extensions. All seems fine. (Have not actual tested sound.) Dirty pictures attached.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 216
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Nice I'm still on a bidding war for a 9020 sff with a i7 4790.

if your UK based, it might be me.

Received two very dirty 7020's with G3240(?) processors
Looks like it was stationed on an oil rig in the North Sea ! This is why I got mine new in a factory sealed box. Nothing to clean up first. Could get right down to business. What was the reason you got two ?

I had two i5's, but bid on 2 pretty much expecting to have to up my bid along the way as it was I got both for £61. Cleaning isnt too much trouble - I just about always take every 2nd hand machine apart as soon as I can - and an extra 5 mins (here a bit longer), a paint brush and a vacuum cleaner with a hose makes a lot of difference. The dust hasn't done any damage. But ,there is a real issue in that I couldn't get into the power supply, and I should think with this air-flow design and the state of the rest of the machine... I'll be trying to find out how to get in, first attempt failed.

Last edited:
I had two i5's but bid on 2 pretty much expecting to have to up my bid along the way, as it was I got both for £61.
You'll like that these are much more energy efficient than the 7010s. Haswell made some real progress in this area.

I had the i5's in 2 Gigabyte H81 budget boards that I'd had a go at 'toshing but I never got it right, and this is a great use for them. When they were in the GigaMacs, I noticed the processors went down to 800MHz and that must make a lot of difference immediately. Opened Power Supply! Not too bad. Still very happy with the 7010 - The 7010 MT is lovely to work on simply because it is virtually silent. Intending to put the K600 in to one of these but no idea why. On first try the 7020 seems snappier displaying the pre-installed apps than the 7010.

Last edited:
I noticed the processors went down to 800Mhz and that must make a lot of difference immediately.
My i7 in the 7020 is not getting down to 800 MHz at idle as I thought it would. Still need to figure out why. Let me know if your i5s reach that at idle or not.

Back