Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Pulled a Western Digital m2 Sata drive from my Lenovo 110s Laptop and added it to this card
connected card to Motherboard SATA port 0
This is similar to what Craighazan did with his dual adapter card in the 7010 thread. He used a x16 slot as well. You should sleep well tonight.

I would have read Craighazans post, but here I picked up on what it was, and the possibility from one of your links to silvercrest - one of the cards that came up looked very similar.

I remember buying it thinking 'I'd have a use for that, one day'. Thought that about a lot of stuff but here it turned out to be true.

Not something I would do but I tend to sleep mine instead of shutting all the way down so I guess I could live with that. You can always remove the slim optical drive, use that sata connection for a 2.5" SSD. Can be any old 64GB or even smaller drive that is no longer useful as a boot drive. Even new 120GB drives sell for under 20 USD these days.
I used a the optical drive adapter to hdd on my 7010 USFF to add a SSD worked like a charm. Should work the same way on this setup.

@Poli169 - It does just work - once I realized what the card could do - ie. the M.2 SATA just works as a standard SATA, it was plain sailing.

Last edited:
Spent the day using this yesterday (without the K600 in) and everything except dual monitor functions was fine. My two monitors are different makes connected by straight DP cables and it was very fussy about which port, which monitor was connected to and which monitor is powered on while powering on of the pc - else no pic on monitors.

Last edited:
Spent the day using this yesterday (without the K600 in) and everything except dual monitor functions was fine. My two monitors are different makes connected by straight DP cables and it was very fussy about which port, which monitor was connected to and which monitor is powered on while powering on of the pc - else no pic on monitors.
I think that the reason dual displays don't work OOB via onboard DP outputs is that iMacs from 2013/14 use an eDP (embedded) connection to the built in iMac monitor and you are trying to use two DP out to external monitors. The iMacs never used that means to connect to multiple displays. On top of that, the iMac models we are emulating used the integrated graphics in headless mode and we have to keep it active to use the onboard DP outputs. Another example of fitting a round peg into a square hole so to speak. This is why I've added the two Nvidia dedicated graphics options (510/710) for those that don't have a large budget but want dual displays for whatever reasons.

I haven't tested Windows dual displays but I'm 99.9% sure that running dual monitors via HD4600 will work with zero issues as this hardware is custom designed to do that. With the iMac SMBIOS you are using it simply can't "see" the second monitor. There probably is some solution but it's much easier to simply use a graphics card like a GT 710 or NVS 510 for dual displays. The even lower cost Quadro K600 from Nvidia would also fit the bill.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's good info. I do have a x4 slot GT 710 so can keep the SSD's in the x16 slot. But bit disappointed only because, as you have shown, it's nice to have it all working as it should. If you do think it may be solvable I'm happy to try any ideas or read up on possible methods. If you think it's pretty much as good as it's going to get, I'll probably run without the GT 710 first as I've got the monitors behaving reasonably well and if that becomes a bother swap in the 710. Thanks again for another clear and informative set of instructions for a great build.

With the iMac SMBIOS you are using it simply can't "see" the second monitor.
But if we change SMBIOS ? - to 14,3 - it seems to work - still testing - Remember this thread where we talked about 13,3? @zeguigui saw it and in post 6 here seems to have at least a route to fix.
Edit: not a route to fix - it is the fix

Last edited:
But if we change SMBIOS ? - to 14,3 - it seems to work - still testing
That's because 14,3 iMacs were the 21.5" variety using Nvidia mobile graphics 750M. It's perfectly good to use. Don't see why it should behave any different than 14,2 which use 775M or 780M Nvidia graphics instead.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm after. This is turning into a charming machine - the two SSD's on the PCI card - 1. Clover and Time Machine on the SATA drive with 2. OSX on the faster SSD - improves overall performance (but better on ssd benchmarks) and reduces power usage. There are 2 1600x1200 monitors attached and Ive no serious graphic needs so the Intel graphics is an effective option.

Back