Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I will try to improve hardware but wondering additional "installing AirportBrcmFixup (see this guide) for WiFi and Rehabman's BrcmPatchRAM kexts for Bluetooth." could make a difference?

@Daneland,

You should already have those installed as almost all Broadcom Combo cards will not have the firmware loaded without Rehabman's BrcmPatchRAM kexts installed unless you first boot into windows or linux and then warm boot into MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

@Daneland,

You should already have those installed as almost all Broadcom Combo cards will not have the firmware loaded without Rehabman's BrcmPatchRAM kexts installed unless you first boot into windows or linux and then warm boot into MacOS.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for your prompt reply. I just followed this guide. I cant remember installing it. I will read the guide and try to figure out

Thank you very much for this tutorial! Now I have an OptiMac that I can use to develop iOS apps.

Quick question: Has anyone tried to use dual monitors with this? I'm planning to buy another monitor for my setup.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF with Intel i5-4670K and Intel HD Graphics 4600.
Should work if you have two displayport cables. If your monitor only has HDMI inputs you'd need adapters or DP to HDMI cables instead. What resolution are the monitors that you'll connect ?

Daneland said:
BT gets disconnected but awakes and works
I think mine is doing similar - I only use it for a BT sound bar and have to turn the sound bar off and on to reconnect after sleep.

I wish there is a solution for temperamental BT connection, Magic Mouse and Keyboard are too buggy, and the BT speaker is too choppy with FaceTime (otherwise it is OK just need to reconnect from BT menu). ASUS USB, Dual Band BCM94360CS2 PCI-E 867Mbps 802.11AC BT4.0 Wifi PCI, HP 6300, Dell 9020.. They are all same. I guess there is something wrong with my keyboard and mouse.

Nah it definitely seems like something may be up with the BT (via USB at least), I'm using a Broadcom USB mini adapter that worked fine out of the box on all other builds but is now quite buggy with the apple wireless keyboard and trackpad, sometimes it works other times it disconnects every minute or less.

Before I found this guide I was using it with the same hardware on Mojave without the patched SSDT files and I didn't have these disconnects, the build had other issues but BT wasnt one of them.

I have the 9020 SFF with i7

Also, thanks for the guide, its very nice and easy.

Last edited:
I'm using a genuine Apple BCM94360CD in a PCIe adapter, paired with a BT speaker, Magic Trackpad and Android phone and haven't experienced any issues. Range is well over 10 feet, the trackpad responds just as quickly as a wired mouse.
I tested range by standing 15 feet away with my trackpad and I could still control the mouse pointer as if I were sitting right next to the mini-tower.

It's mostly a case of you get what you pay for. A 10 dollar USB dongle can't match the performance of a real Apple Card which now costs from 60 to 80 USD due to high demand. I bought mine years ago before the prices got excessively high.
It would be helpful if everyone with BT problems would post their BT info from System Information. I'd also suggest that you look at the date on your USB-SSDT. If it says May 31st you are using the older version and should get the newest one.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 10.08.50 PM.png

Here's the speeds I get using the Wifi with my 100 Mbps internet service. It's fiber optic so upload speeds are much faster than with cable or DSL connections. I'm using the 5GHz band from my router. I get 99 Mbps speeds with a wired connection. No noticeable difference in speed. The only reason I get 93 with wireless is that my router is a long distance away in the basement so I'm sure there is some interference happening.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 10.23.21 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm using a genuine Apple BCM94360CD in a PCIe adapter, paired with a BT speaker, Magic Trackpad and Android phone and haven't experienced any issues. Range is well over 10 feet, the trackpad responds just as quickly as a wired mouse.
I tested range by standing 15 feet away with my trackpad and I could still control the mouse pointer as if I were sitting right next to the mini-tower.

It's mostly a case of you get what you pay for. A 10 dollar USB dongle can't match the performance of a real Apple Card which now costs from 60 to 80 USD due to high demand. I bought mine years ago before the prices got excessively high.
It would be helpful if everyone with BT problems would post their BT info from System Information.

View attachment 419111

Here's the speeds I get using the Wifi with my 100 Mbps internet service. It's fiber optic so upload speeds are much faster than with cable or DSL connections. I'm using the 5GHz band from my router.

View attachment 419112

Fair point, I'm at work so didn't have access to that, will grab it tonight.
I do hear what you are saying with the quality, but BT was working 100% on the same hardware on Mojave previously, but not when I've followed this build. I'm not complaining about this build (far from it) Just want to try and work out this last issue. If I can't, then yes I'll buy the recommended card.
Thanks again for all the work you have put in to this guide, appreciated.

This BT works with the only issue being that it needs reconnecting after sleep - either by turning off and on the BT device or selecting, connect to, from Macs BT Menu

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 15.08.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 15.08.05.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 15.08.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 15.08.05.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 39
Back