Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Hello everyone! First I would like to thank trs96 for making such an excellent and comprehensive guide to this build. Because of this I have bought Dell 9020 SFF to build a hackintosh out of it. I already own a 2017 entry model macbook pro, and while it is a nice little thing to carry around, its performanse as a main home computer is simply awful, so I wanted to get a proper computer. Now, since I don't have neither space nor money to buy both equally powerful Mac and mid range gaming PC, I wanted to have a 2 in 1 machine.

I was looking for options and then I found this thread, and I was thrilled, because it seemed like I can accomplish my goal easily. With the release of low profile GTX1650, I thought I might give a chance to SFF system, so I got myself a SFF 9020 i7 4790, 16gb RAM, Radeon HD 6450. The plan was to swap HD 6450 with GTX 1650, so that I can game on this system sometimes in Windows, as it should handle 1080p gaming pretty well. Now what I have found out is that this card is not supported in MacOS. Is that true? I am completely discouraged to buy the supported RX 560 because it costs the same as GTX 1650, and has 2 times worse performance. I would really prefer to get a GTX 1650.

Another problem, that I was not aware of, is that if I get any decent low profile graphic card, it is going to be dual slot, effectively robbing me of second pci-e slot, so I can't use the recommended pci-e wifi/bt card! In that case I need your help to suggest me USB alternative that works equally well. If there is no such a thing I will just leave the HD 6450, give up on gaming, and use the recommended setup. Is at least HD 6450 supported in Mojave?

Is at least HD 6450 supported in Mojave?
Not supported. All the cards that work are listed in post #1 of this thread. HD4600 igfx work fine too and actually perform better than a GT 710 or K600 Nvidia card. The downside to HD4600 is no 4K/60Hz. Seems to max out at 1440p in macOS but not in Windows. 4K/60Hz seems to work fine in Windows 10.

Now what I have found out is that this card is not supported in MacOS. Is that true? I am completely discouraged to buy the supported RX 560 because it costs the same as GTX 1650, and has 2 times worse performance. I would really prefer to get a GTX 1650.
If you buy a 9020 MT version then you can install a full height 1650 and game with that in Windows. When you want to switch to macOS simply remove the 1650 and use HD4600 igfx. The best of both worlds.

Why a MT ? because Dell put the x16 slot right next to the side of the case in the SFF models. You can't install a double wide card like the 1650 into a SFF Optiplex. See the pic. You can install to the X4 slot but then the lanes are limited.

1563819186232.png

Last edited:
thank you very much for your time and help. I saw the list of the supported cards, but I thought that you maybe didn't list some unknown GPU-s...

my plan was to put the new card in pci-e x4 slot, people have tried that with gtx 1050ti already and it works. I don't need MT, because there is low profile version of gtx 1650, so what you proposed (to remove it for macos and use igfx) should also work with my SFF?

I have read your guide for MT VS SFF, but I still took the SFF because I need to transport it by plane when I am moving, so it is going to be much easier. However, 1650 should perform just fine in that x4 socket. this guy made it work with a single board computer:

Since this is going to be primarily hackintosh build, I will then grab the RX 560 which is fully supported. I would like to have better performance in MacOS for example for Lightroom and Photoshop, this HD4600 is even worse than what new macbooks have :/ The only downside of this is that I will loose second pci-e slot, due to dual slot graphic. Can you recommend an alternative to this wifi/bt card that connects to USB?

Last edited:
Last edited:
10.14.6 update

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.52.15 PM.png

Updated directly from Software update with no problems. More than the usual # of restarts.

Here's one I have tested with Mojave. Pairs with my phone via BT just fine. Does not support handoff. I have an Android phone so I don't care. Install any BT adapter in a 2.0 port not 3.0 as those get too hot. The BT adapter can't use the faster speed anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GFX0PY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
thank you so much for this tip! I was thinking of plugging BT in 2.0 port so that I don't waste 3.0 on that :D But I didn't know it can get hot in 3.0... As for wifi, what do you suggest?

if anyone else have the gpu dilemma, rx 460 should work fine also, does not have to be rx 560 only. the only problem is that low profile rx 460 costs the same as rx 560 :D

As for wifi, what do you suggest?
I don't use USB wifi but you could test in each port to see if USB 3.0 gives any speed improvement.
If not just put it in a USB 2.0 port since you've got limited 3.0 ports.

Back