Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Do we know if Ventura will run on these?
Still under NDA. Ventura is only in Developer beta so no discussion.
I would wait till at least September to ask for a definitive answer to that question.
In the mean time, Monterey still works perfectly on this hardware when using Haswell Mac mini 7,1.

Last edited:
Still under NDA. Ventura is only in Developer beta so no discussion.
I would wait till at least September to ask for a definitive answer to that question.
In the mean time, Monterey still works perfectly on this hardware when using Haswell Mac mini 7,1.

I finally updated my 9020 G5 casemod from Catalina to Big Sur. Did an in-place direct upgrade, all went well. Guess I need to look at changing to 17,1 or Macmini 7,1 and update to Monterey. Always seem to be a couple macos gens behind..

Guess I need to look at changing to 17,1 or Macmini 7,1 and update to Monterey. Always seem to be a couple macos gens behind..
Big Sur is getting all security updates and software you want to run should all work. Don't be in a hurry to upgrade.

Big Sur is getting all security updates and software you want to run should all work. Don't be in a hurry to upgrade.
That's been my mantra for at least a decade with these builds.

EVGA SuperNova PSU upgrade for your 7020/9020 MT
See:

Some of the best prices we've seen yet for the 7020 SFF and the 9020 USFF desktops at Amazon.
Seller is SJ computers. Both have Core i5-4570(s) CPUs, 8GB of ram and cost just over 100 USD !
They also sell Core i7 versions of both of these if you need 4 cores and 8 threads.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 3.59.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 3.58.05 PM.png

Last edited:
The Core i7-4770 version of the 9020 SFF is the best selling mini-computer on Amazon. Even sells better than the M1 mini with 16GB of ram. Probably due to the steep price difference. The M1 mini costs over $869 and the OptiMac costs around $255. Over $600 less. You get double the ram and 4x the ssd storage in the 9020 SFF.

Don't forget, you can also install Monterey to a faster NVMe drive in the x16 slot of the 9020 SFF. The mini wins in CPU single core performance and overall speed, but the 9020 SFF offers a lot for a lot less money.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Screen Shot 3.jpg

The Core i5 16GB 7020 MT model is now at $132 on Amazon. Add in a Sapphire RX 6600 GPU for $250 and you've got an amazingly low cost and capable system for Windows or macOS. $382 total and it's as good or better than any gaming console that goes for $499 or more. Will also run Monterey 12.6 perfectly. If you get the dGPU, it's best to upgrade the 7020's stock Dell PSU with a 500 GB ATX version. Very easy to swap that out. The RX 6600 needs 8 pin power connected for it to work. The GTX 1650 card in the video below, draws only up to 75W from the PCIe x 16 slot.

This YT reviewer tests this in video games with a lowly Nvidia GTX 1650. You can see the results in games at 1080p. The FPS will be much better with the RX 6600. You can upgrade to a 4790 for about $40 these days too. The 9020 he shows is in poor condtion and doesn't come with a 512GB SSD. Not even an HDD. He only has 8GB of ram too. Buy the one from the link above at Amazon to get a properly refurbished model.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back