Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Great ! Once you've got it then run this terminal command.

Hi Trs,
Got the Hideez Bluetooth dongle today, plugged it in and the hackintosh, which didn't have any Bluetooth before, and it showed up in the system report. I ran the Terminal command but not sure if I needed to as it was already picking up the Hideez.
My problem is that, while it will see my old Apple AirPods and new AirPods Pros, when I try to connect, it thinks about it then fails to connect to either. Do I need one of the Bluetooth kexts when running on Mojave with Clover?

My problem is that, while it will see my old Apple AirPods and new AirPods Pros, when I try to connect, it thinks about it then fails to connect to either. Do I need one of the Bluetooth kexts when running on Mojave with Clover?
You could experiment with them, try one at a time first and then combinations. I've never used BT much with these Dells so I'm not an expert in this area. The one Broadcom combo card I have (genuine Apple) gives BT but I've not tested it with more than a mouse and keyboard.

You could experiment with them, try one at a time first and then combinations. I've never used BT much with these Dells so I'm not an expert in this area. The one Broadcom combo card I have (genuine Apple) gives BT but I've not tested it with more than a mouse and keyboard.
OK, thanks. I have tried the BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRam2 Kexts, and it was still intermittent; i.e.: disconnects/reconnects. I'm not even sure that the Hideez has a Broadcom chipset so currently running without the kexts. I moved the dongle to a few different USB ports, and I seemed to have found one now that is working and hasn't disconnected so far. (USB 2 port on the back of the machine at the top.) It took some trial and error but seems to be all about placement rather than needing kexts on Mojave. I'm happy with result if it keep up like this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 8.38.53 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 8.38.53 am.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 38
I moved the dongle to a few different USB ports, and I seemed to have found one now that is working and hasn't disconnected so far. (USB 2 port on the back of the machine at the top.) It took some trial and error but seems to be all about placement rather than needing kexts on Mojave.
Yes, always best to use a USB 2 port for BT as the dongles don't benefit from USB 3 speeds or extra power. The Hideez are CSR chipset, not Broadcom so the kexts shouldn't be used. That also means it probably won't work with Monterey which is notorious for BT problems if not using native Apple Wifi/BT cards.

Reviving thread:

Got a 9020 MT back in 2018 as a low-budget Hackintosh DAW. Fitted with 16gb Hynix 1600 MHz RAM, an i7-4770 and an ASUS GT710. Rapidly updated with two Samsung SSD’s, one for Windows and the other, for MacOS. I’ve also added an Orico PA31-AC PCIe USB-C 10gbps expansion card to be able to use a Samsung T5 portable SSD for my sample libraries. Networking was done via an ASUS PC-AC68 PCIe adapter (natively supported in MacOS, strong performance, better than any other offerings or USB Wifi dongles).

Between 2018 and August 2020, the only thing I did was to update from Sierra to Mojave (flawless update BTW).

In August 2020, I’ve relegated the 9020 to a shelf in the basement as I’ve built a new DAW following the Designare Z390 CaseySJ guide.

Until yesterday, when I gave my Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H tower to my son as he got a few goodies from Santa Claus: an Arturia Keylab Essential 49 and a Samsung T7 SSD. In the process, I’ve transplanted the Orico card and one of his 8gb RAM stick in the « new » machine. Total for him, 24 Gb RAM and a better machine than his old Asrock Z97 Anniversary… Windows transplant was easy as the two MB’s are Haswell refresh.

Back to « my new » office machine replacement, the 9020 MT. I’ve ordered another Orico USB-C expansion card for my external SSD’s. Only drawback that I wasn’t aware two years ago: putting this card in the lower PCIe slot reduces the first one to x8, not a big deal it seems for any video card.

Mojave SSD transplant from the Z97X-UD3H was flawless as I’ve kept an USB stick Clover backup from the 9020.

It was a different game for Windows as it’s less resilient than MacOS for this kind of operation… I should had expected that going from Z97 to Q87! Had a couple of BSOD’s and then, the 9020 got stuck in a reboot loop… until I reset the BIOS and it did it again once booted in Windows…

A third time when trying to boot from Memtest UEFI, reboot loop again and a few episodes of flashing orange power LED (2,1: memory failure and 2,3: system card failure). However, I think that it’s Windows flakey transplant causing all of this… or maybe the PSU (three PCIe cards, two monitors and 4 external USB hard disks, maybe 290w old PSU don’t like it!).

Anyway, after a good SFC /Scannow it helped to get rid of some errors in the system files and the MT survived several reboots in MacOS and Windows 10. Got hammered a bit this morning when I ran an AV scan for several hours and no more BSOD’s…

Just to be on the safe side, I’ve sprayed compressed air in the RAM slots and reseated the sticks. Also ordered your recommended EVGA little 500w PSU.

So far, so good since 2AM…;)

Sorry for the loooooong post!

Hi everyone, a happy festive seasons to you all. I messed my Optimac while trying to update to Big Sur and I had to start from beginning. I failed to install Big Sur and no matter I did and finally just installed Catalina which worked fine (used OC) and works fine except bluetooth. It is Wifi &BT card with two antenna,I searched and I had the same issue in the past and @trs96 helped me but I cant solve it now.

Edit: Last time the problem was USB ports (internal USB port ) I installed USBInjectAll kext and now BT works fine.

Attachments

• KM’s iMac.ioreg
    5.7 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
A Good Graphics Card Option for the MT OptiMac
If all of the compatible AMD cards, new or used, are still too expensive or not available where you live, this is a fairly priced alternative from the Nvidia Kepler line. Has 4GB of DDR5 memory and uses 6 pin supplemental power. You can expect performance close to what you'd get from an AMD RX480 or RX570. Not good for gaming, so do not buy this if you also game in Windows. The drivers are already in macOS High Sierra through Big Sur. No driver support in Monterey. Would require patching to get it to work. Will drive two 4K monitors via the two DP 1.2 outputs.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

The seller is PC Server and Parts on Amazon.

As an example. The Gigabyte RX570 4GB that I bought for around 100 USD now sells for just under $800 new on Amazon. The brand is Asrock. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMHR1X5/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 Used RX570s on Ebay (in good working condtion) sell for anywhere from $200 to $300.

Last edited:
Following my latest post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...g-4k-ips-monitor.277811/page-252#post-2298572

Well, I had to reinstall Windows from scratch… The original installation was from 2014 on the Z97X-UD3H and the Optiplex didn’t like the old install: crashes, BSOD’s, probably a misbehaving or wrong system driver.

Luckily, I had a backup made with Image for Windows (kinda like a CCC for Win). So, I restored the last backup as the Windows boot… wasn’t booting anymore following a crash and a hard reset.

Then, once booted in Windows, I choose « reset this PC » with the option of a clean install. It worked fine so I began to reinstall all programs and documents (the data is on my IFW backups) and all was wonderful… until I had the idea to wipe a second Hackintosh boot partition (another MacOS partition I didn’t used often for DAW duties) residing on the same SSD. I did it with Disk Utilities under Mojave… and it wiped the Windows EFI on the same disk! Moral of the story: I knew that it wasn’t a good idea to have Windows and MacOS on the same disk but I won’t do it again!!

Again, Image for Windows to the rescue: restored the old EFI and I’m now in the process of cloning my new install but I’ll reset the Win partition again (´cause it messed a bit the Win EFI and the Win restore hidden partition) then, restore only the main Windows partition…

It behaves ok for now and and doesn’t look to want to crash anymore as I didn’t used the Dell packages (chipset, IMEI, SATA driver) but choose instead to let Windows 10 install its own drivers, even for the GT710…

*BTW, I’m still on Mojave and Clover 5099 on the Dell MT.

**It pays a lot to have image backups, be it on MacOS or Windows.

Happy New Year everyone. Apologies in advance regarding the lack of info in my build signature. Having problems adding my second hackintosh details. My DELL unit is a 9020 SFF | Q77 Board | i5 4590 | HD 4600.

@trs96 thank you for this excellent guide. It has been quite addictive.

So a quick question to this group, regarding installing the Fenvi FV-HB1200 into the 9020 SFF. I've seen a few posts here discussing the internal USB header needed for this card, or the lack of it in the SFF. Is there an elegant way to do this without resorting to routing the cable to an external USB port? (It looks like it's just pulling the 5V from the header, so is there another way to get the power to the card?) In my Z270 build, I have the T919 installed and mapped as an internal port for power management (my bluetooth mouse can wake up the system). I assume if I end up using an external port, that this should get remapped as an internal to enable sleep/hibernate?

Would be great to hear any success stories.

Hello there,
I followed this tutorial, but though I even tried a different USB Stick my 9020 just give me this screen and nothing happens anymore.

What am I doing wrong?

Opti9020.jpg

Back