Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

It would be great if we could have an OpenCore Big Sur guide for Optiplex 9020 for those who want to engage that build. I wouldn’t jump on it as my Catalina setup is stable but eventually would be interested. Especially if the power mgmt is more stabilized.

It would be interesting to see how dual monitor DP using HD4600 works with OpenCore - as it works fine for me now except on occasion one screen won’t wake up, which is frustrating as the other screen is fine and I can only see half of my stuff :) It’s fairly rare though.

Hi, I'm on OpenCore with my 7020 SFF and using dual DP monitors (27"4k + 24"1080p vertical). I've posted my summary of how to get that running smoothly over on the thread if you ever make the jump!

If anyone is interested, the VirtualSMC kext has been updated recently and they've added an SMC Dell sensor plugin. Give it a try with the Macs Fan Control app and report back. https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control. If you are on Catalina, simply add the Dell sensors plugin and updated VirtualSMC kext to your kexts/other folder. Reboot, then open the MFC application.

I'm able to manually control the stock Dell fans. Tested the OEM case fan and got it up to 2601 RPM. Not bad at all. It didn't even get that loud at that speed. I'm leaving the CPU fan on auto. If you are doing anything intensive like video editing or Mac gaming you can now turn up your CPU and system fan speed to cool your case and CPU.

View attachment 483946

Works in OpenCore with an additional step to perform an OC snapshot in Propertree by opening the config.plist in Propertree and hitting command+R, then pointing to the OC folder (this adds the new kext data to the config.plist).

Here's a little trick for those too lazy to blow the dust off of their fans. Open up the Macs Fan Control app and set it to "Full Blast" the fans will get close to their max speeds and the dust will fly off of them. Only takes about a minute. I find it amazing that I can now even get an accurate temp for my SSD. It's Sata based and not NVME so it doesn't get very hot but it's nice to have it working. :)
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 4.43.37 PM.png

Here's a little trick for those too lazy to blow the dust off of their fans. Open up the Macs Fan Control app and set it to "Full Blast" the fans will get close to their max speeds and the dust will fly off of them. Only takes about a minute. I find it amazing that I can now even get an accurate temp for my SSD. It's Sata based and not NVME so it doesn't get very hot but it's nice to have it working. :)
View attachment 483960

Looks like a good app. Had not heard of it before. Will download and give it a try ... :)

Looks like a good app. Had not heard of it before. Will download and give it a try ... :)
Mac mini and iMac and MacBook owners use this to gain control of their fan speeds. As you know Apple tunes their fan curves for maximum quiet, not for cooling. This is why desktop and laptop Mac CPU's are often pushing 90 degrees C under intensive usage.

If anyone is interested, the VirtualSMC kext has been updated recently and they've added an SMC Dell sensor plugin. Give it a try with the Macs Fan Control app and report back. https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control. If you are on Catalina, simply add the Dell sensors plugin and updated VirtualSMC kext to your kexts/other folder. Reboot, then open the MFC application.

I'm able to manually control the stock Dell fans. Tested the OEM case fan and got it up to 2601 RPM. Not bad at all. It didn't even get that loud at that speed. I'm leaving the CPU fan on auto. If you are doing anything intensive like video editing or Mac gaming you can now turn up your CPU and system fan speed to cool your case and CPU.

View attachment 483946
Hello, how to make this work on mojave 10.14.6?
what needs to be copied?
does it need to delete the fakesmc.kext on kexts/other?

Hello, how to make this work on mojave 10.14.6?
what needs to be copied?
does it need to delete the fakesmc.kext on kexts/other?
First, make a bootable backup/clone of your system drive before making any changes like this.

If you put all your kexts in /L/E as described in the original Mojave guide, that's where you'd install the Dell SMC kext now. Use Kextbeast as you did previously when installing them. It's probably best to do this when you decide to upgrade to Catalina because that guide uses VirtualSMC.efi and VirtualSMC kext, which is likely needed to make this work. I've not tested it with FakeSMC and Mojave but you could try it if you'd like. I'm completely migrated to Catalina now.

If you will be upgrading to Catalina soon then it's better to put your kexts in kexts/other folder on your efi partition instead. Follow the Catalina mini guide if you want to upgrade to 10.15.6 now. That has pictures of the kexts and drivers you'll need and where they go, in the EFI partition's kexts/other folder. In Catalina driversUEFI folder replaces drivers64UEFI so make note of that.

Last edited:
Been playing with power settings to provide better cpu control and cleaning up the config.plist.
Config attached and used with a processor ssdt created using Piker Alphas utility

Changed -
  • 15,1 Sys defs,
  • added processor ssdt in ACPI/Patched
  • Removed all the settings in Kernel and Kext patches and then put ticks in Kernel CPU and KernelXCPM and with a tick in ACPI/Generate Options/PluginType. It may also need the RTC fix but Im not able to properly test that.
  • Removed other things from original config but I think they do nothing.
Hoping for feedback.

From Hackintool -
i5 4440
P-State ratio * 100 = Frequency in MHz
------------------------------------------
CPU P-States [ (8) 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 3 ]
CPU C6-Cores [ 1 3 ]
CPU C7-Cores [ 0 1 3 ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 29 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU C6-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 ]
CPU C7-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 3 ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 28 29 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 ]
CPU P-States [ 8 27 28 29 (31) 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 27 28 29 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ 8 27 28 29 30 31 (32) 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
[ 8 21 23 24 25 26 31 (33) ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 21 23 24 25 26 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 13 21 23 24 25 26 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 13 18 21 23 24 25 26 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 10 13 18 21 23 24 25 26 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 10 12 13 18 21 23 24 25 26 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 10 12 13 18 21 23 24 25 26 28 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ 8 10 12 13 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 28 30 (31) 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 10 12 13 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 27 28 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 12 13 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 27 28 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 12 13 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 27 28 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 27 28 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ (8) 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]
CPU P-States [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 16 18 19 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 (31) 33 ] iGPU P-States [ (4) ]

Attachments

• configCleaned.plist
    6.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
First, make a bootable backup/clone of your system drive before making any changes like this.

If you put all your kexts in /L/E as described in the original Mojave guide, that's where you'd install the Dell SMC kext now. Use Kextbeast as you did previously when installing them. It's probably best to do this when you decide to upgrade to Catalina because that guide uses VirtualSMC.efi and VirtualSMC kext, which is likely needed to make this work. I've not tested it with FakeSMC and Mojave but you could try it if you'd like. I'm completely migrated to Catalina now.

If you will be upgrading to Catalina soon then it's better to put your kexts in kexts/other folder on your efi partition instead. Follow the Catalina mini guide if you want to upgrade to 10.15.6 now. That has pictures of the kexts and drivers you'll need and where they go, in the EFI partition's kexts/other folder. In Catalina driversUEFI folder replaces drivers64UEFI so make note of that.

Ok,Here is what I do and works for me on Mojave 10.14.6

*** Mini-Guide: How to Replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC ***

1. Make a full bootable backup of the current system. This is your insurance.
  2. First we need to remove FakeSMC from 2 places:
    • Place #1: /Library/Extensions folder
      • Use Finder to move FakeSMC.kext and all of the FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext files (should be 5 of them) to your Desktop or Documents or Downloads folder. Just get them out of /Library/Extensions, but save a copy so you can restore them later if needed.
      • The run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
    • Place #2: CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
      • Mount EFI Partition of the Mojave SSD using "Mount EFI" option in Clover Configurator (on the left side panel).
      • An "EFI" disk icon will appear. Go to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
      • Move FakeSMC.kext and any FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext files to some location on your Mojave SSD (Desktop, Documents, Downloads).
      • Then open the EFi/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI for Clover v4988 or newer) and move SMCHelper.efi to the same location on your Mojave SSD.
  3. Now we need to download VirtualSMC.
    • Download the latest release by clicking here. Specifically, get the file called 1.1.5.RELEASE.zip (Version that have Dell Plugin)
    • Also Download the 1.0.9.RELEASE.zip (Version that have VirtualSmc.efi on drivers folder)
    • MacOS should automatically unzip the files into a folder called "1" or "1-1" or something like that.
  4. Install VirtualSMC as follows:
    • Make sure the EFI Partition of Mojave SSD is still mounted (see Step 2, Place #2).
    • Now take a look at the folders and files in the VirtualSMC folder that you just downloaded. It should look like this:
      virtualsmc.png
    • Copy the green box item (VirtualSmc.efi) from extracted 1.0.9 release to the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI for Clover v4988 and newer).
    • Copy the three red box items + SMCDellSensors.kext from extracted 1.1.5 release to CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Also copy the three red box items + SMCDellSensors.kext from extracted 1.1.5 release to /Library/Extensions and then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.
  5. Note that iStat Menus will not currently show all of the fans. It may show at most one. So instead of iStat Menus, please use HWMonitorSMC2. The latest version can always be downloaded from here (the HWSensors3package):
    • https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors3.hwsensors.p/
    • Update 2 May 2020: Download CloverHackyColor's fork of HWMonitorSMC from here.
    • When the DMG file is opened, simply copy the indicated App to the Applications folder.
      hw.png
    • When launching HWMonitorSMC2 for the first time, you may need to allow the system to run it (System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General tab).
  6. Reboot.
Credit to : CaseySJ

Last edited:
Ok,Here is what I do and works for me on Mojave 10.14.6
CaseySJ does some really nice step by step documentation. How is the HWMonitorSMC app working with the new DellSMC kext ? Haven't tried that yet. Are you getting most of the data you wanted ? Is it accurate ?

It probably is best for Mojave users to switch over to VirtualSMC from FakeSMC. Some are staying on Mojave for 32 bit apps or other 64 bit apps that don't work well with Catalina yet.

Last edited:
Back