Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

For anyone looking for a 9020 with Win 10 Pro license (For Gaming) Newegg has a decent spec i5-4570 version.

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-9020-mt-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-3RMV6

Seller says it's grade A condition. Goes for $189 and free shipping. Nice deal.

All you need to do is add an RX 570 4 or 8GB and you're ready for 1080p gaming or installing macOS.

1595421461317.png

Last edited:
Sleep/wake will not work with dedicated GPU. One of, if not the only, drawbacks of the extremely good OptiMac build ;)

Actually Sleep/Wake works if you use HDMI on the GPU instead of the other ports. It will boot with a black screen, but after a single Sleep/Wake, it works fine.

Actually Sleep/Wake works if you use HDMI on the GPU instead of the other ports. It will boot with a black screen, but after a single Sleep/Wake, it works fine.

Really? I was (obviously) not aware of that. This is good news.
Are you saying that after a single Sleep/Wake cycle, the black screen will go away as well?

I didn’t know this either. So, when you say a black screen on boot, does the screen stay black up until the Mac desktop appears or do you still see the Clover menu? I dual boot my Optiplex so need to be able to see the Clover menu in order to select macOS or Windows. Guess I could boot Windows from the BIOS but not ideal.

I didn’t know this either. So, when you say a black screen on boot, does the screen stay black up until the Mac desktop appears or do you still see the Clover menu? I dual boot my Optiplex so need to be able to see the Clover menu in order to select macOS or Windows. Guess I could boot Windows from the BIOS but not ideal.

The desktop will be visible for the most part - Clover to macOS progress bar. Then, when the dGPU gets initialized (I think), the display will go dark and the monitor might go in and out of powersave. At this stage, you can either wait for the normal Sleep to trigger (if you have a low timeout for Sleep in the Energy Saver prefs) or force a Sleep (by hitting the Power button on the front panel). Once it goes to sleep, you can wake it by keyboard/mouse/power-button. Voila, macOS desktop.

A couple of others have witnessed the same as well and have reported on this thread. Good Luck!

I followed this guide, but want to drive 2 1080p monitors off the iGPU. Possible? They are HDMI only, so am using two DP -> HDMI cables. So far blank screens on both. One monitor works fine though. What to change?

Seems to be something amiss with your profile. The 3470 CPU is Ivy Bridge, not Haswell.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

I followed this guide, but want to drive 2 1080p monitors off the iGPU.
You may need to ask @nicksoph if you'll need to unlock the CFG and increase the DVMT preallocation to make dual screens work on igpu. I've only used the RX570 with multi monitor and haven't done much with iGPU. A change of SMBIOS to 14,3 might also be needed. nicksoph will know more about this. The simpler solution is to get a GT 710 graphics card and use HDMI from that for one monitor along with one onboard DP output.

Last edited:
yes, I have those two different computers. thanks!
Put the Haswell i5-4570 or whichever one you have in the 9020 into your profile so it's accurate.

Back