Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I see 8 Mini Towers available right now. It was 14 earlier this morning. Different depending on our locations? I'm in Arizona.
Those didn't come up in my search for some reason. It looks like six of the listings say out of stock already. So they are selling fast. Like I said, these are the prime target of gamers everywhere these days. The ones with an i5-4590 and 8GB of ram are the most sought after. Some people even use the OEM PSU with an Nvidia GTX 1650 or 1060 and it works fine.

Here's the evidence of that. These are way better as a Windows gaming rig than consoles that cost the same or more.

Last edited:
Has anyone done the 10.14.6 security update on Mojave? any advise on the proper way to atempt it?
If you've already made your bootable clone of the system drive you've got nothing to worry about. You can try upgrading the clone first and see how it goes. Simply update via the System Prefs software update.

Hello everyone,
I just updated to 10.15.3. So far no issues. I just did it through System Preferences>Software Update. It took about an hour for it to complete. It restarts two times. The first time at Clover bootup, I selected the drive that ends with "-Data". Then the second time it restarts it goes straight to macOS. Everything is working so far. I tested audio, ethernet, bluetooth, and wifi all works. iMessage is also still running okay.

For a bit of background, this is my first hackintosh build. I followed this guide word for word, updated to Catalina immediately after Mojave install; no issues. And now this update seems to be okay. Just wanted to let the rest of the community know that my update was successful with no issues (... so far).

So is there any issue with the EFI partition when updating from sys pref? The upgrade doesn't rewrite the EFI partition?

Guys, I'm stumped. I had a 9020 SFF working with the Catalina mini-guide a couple days ago with full 4K and HiDPI on the DP. Then I made a backup with CC and erased the Disk to later find out that CC did not copy the EFI partition. Now I set it all up again and can't remember what I did before, as for the love of god I can't get HiDPI working. Still Catalina 11.15.2. BIOS is all set up. Hardware unchanged. HD4600 shows up with 1536MB RAM and the Display can get to to it's native 3840x2160 but all the other resolutions look like crap.

As I said, it was working fine before and this build will possibly be used with a couple of different display in the future so I don't want to create a manual EDID. It's possible that I also did something else to the config.plist but I can't remember after trying a dozen things in the last couple hours.

Does anyone have a working setup with 2560x1440 HiDPI on a 4k monitor?

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?
Each time that you update Clover it saves a copy of your entire /EFI folder to the system partition in /EFI-Backups.
With a bit of luck you can copy the latest backup back to your EFI partition.

Each time that you update Clover it saves a copy of your entire /EFI folder to the system partition in /EFI-Backups.
With a bit of luck you can copy the latest backup back to your EFI partition.

I erased the Disk and installed Windows as I thought I had a backup :/

Good news. Dell Refurbished has refreshed the stock of 9020s (link below). Get 'em while they're hot.
They have MT & SFF in stock at the moment. Some of them are on clearance at reduced price and don't take the code. The two refurbed PCs I got from Dell last week arrived in great condition. I couldn't help myself on a killer one-of-a-kind-deal and grabbed another MT Just to max out my other hacks and have a system for spare parts or modding. No OS but an i7-4790, 32GB Ram and 500GB SSD for $119 ($128 w/ tax) was too good to pass up:

Dell OptiPlex 9020 - No Operating System

Power meets manageability.
Small, space-saving business desktop for ultimate performance. With dual orientation display.
This unit features:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 Quad (i7-4790) 3.60 GHz
  • Memory: 32 GB
  • Hard Drive: 512 GB
  • Chassis: Mini Tower

Use coupon code 9020DEAL4U to get 50% off non-clearance items

Dell Refurbished has 9020s on sale for 50% off. Sale ends 2/5.
New, For a Limited Time: 50% off 9020 OptiPlex Desktops, plus free ground ship. Use coupon code: 9020DEAL4U
*Coupons apply to online orders only. Coupons not valid on Clearance item

I couldn't help myself on a killer one-of-a-kind-deal and grabbed another MT Just to max out my other hacks and have a system for spare parts or modding. No OS but an i7-4790, 32GB Ram and 500GB SSD for $119 ($128 w/ tax) was too good to pass up:

Wow! That is a good deal. Every time I’ve checked, I haven’t ever seen a 32GB machine.

Hi, I have the Optilex 9020 MT, 17-4770, 16 GB ram, HD4600, and 1TB WD black disk. This is my first hackintosh build. I flashed bios A25, then followed the instructions step by step. The only thing is the installer I downloaded is Catalina 10.15.3. I stuck when the progress bar was almost halfway through immediately after the install starts. What could possibly go wrong?

Back