Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I remember that not a long time ago there were some XFX graphic cards that had incompatibility issues due to unsupported Bios.
Are there any chances that this card will work?
It was only the RX560 by XFX that had the BIOS issue. The 570 by XFX doesn't. That being said, if you can get the Sapphire brand where you live that is preferred. If not, you can use the XFX 570.

Another Great Case Deal if you need High Airflow

1578517271396.png

Metallic Gear is a new co. started by Phanteks. This is their budget oriented line of cases. The Neo Air is ATX mid-tower size so it's larger than you need for a Dell mATX motherboard. You would also need to install a fan controller for the two included front fans. At 50 USD after rebate you really can't beat this deal for an affordable high quality case. Lots of space for a larger PSU and room for cable management. Phanteks makes great fans so the two in front are not cheap throwaways. You can used them and it saves you even more money by not having to buy a few extra fans for 20 dollars or more.

Dell Refurbished Online Store is having a 40% off sale on Grade A Optiplex 9020 Mini Towers.
www.dellrefurbished.com

Price for the i5-4590 version with 8GB of ram is $167 plus your local sales tax. Free shipping.
The Coupon code is highlighted in red down below.

Add in a new Sapphire RX 570 4GB from Newegg for $125 and you've got a great gaming computer for around $300 USD. BTW you can also install macOS on it and it runs great. Read post #1 of this thread. ;)

These sell out fast because gamers buy these, upgrade the PSU and then install an RX 580 or GTX 1660 and game with it. Plays most any AAA title at 1080p and high settings. Costs way less than a console and performs better.

Screen Shot 19.jpg

Screen_Shot_20.png

The 9020 SFF models with i5-4590 are selling for just $119. Remember that you can easily upgrade the CPU and ram if need be. You can only use low profile graphics cards in the SFF models. So if you want to game in Windows get the Mini-Tower.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for this guide.
I have a 9020 SFF with an i7-4790, 16GB of RAM and Samsung 256GB 860 PRO SSD.

I need some help and hope this is the right place.
I have made the installer using my friend's OS X El Capitan Macbook Pro 10.11.6, Unibeast 9.2.0, copied the files to the correct places in the EFI partition and tried with two separate installer drives.
Problem 1 was "Selected Mac OS X Installer is incomplete" but I found a solution here and downloaded a complete Mojave installer.
Problem 2 was (and potential still is) "macOS could not be installed on your computer" An error occurred while loading the installer resources. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.
I was able to open a Terminal window with ctrl+command+shift+alt+H to get full control, opened terminal, and manually executed ./startosinstall which I hoped would fix it but that leads to the same problem.
I have rebooted the computer several times hoping a miracle would fix it but it keeps goingto the same error page in the GUI.
I still have not gotten to the "select country" part of the setup.
Any suggestions?
Update, I have a working Hackintosh! See this article for suggestion:

Last edited:
Just upgraded to Catalina - The only thing I did was keep changing to boot from the Clover partition as the install would change the boot order. (Not upgraded Kexts or Clover (stayed with original Clover) but kexts were quite recent) It worked immediately and will report back if there are any issues.

Is there a NVMe way to use APFS or Clover will not see the partition at all?

I only can get Mojave to install in the HFS partition with my M.2 card and want to upgrade from it, but without APFS there's no game. Thanks for the guide.

Is there a NVME way to use APFS or Clover will not see the partition at all?

I only can get Mojave to install in the HFS partition with my M2 card and want to upgrade from it, but without APFS theres no game. Thanks for the guide.

It works fine depending on what you are trying to do, you always have to have clover on the Sata (not NVME) but you also need the drivers in the clover folder as per the install instructions.
I have clover on SSD which is first boot device, it it then directed to boot the OS on the NVME with APFS.

Make sure you are using the clover versions etc that are specified in the original posts, newer versions may need different drivers/locations.

It works fine depending on what you are trying to do, you always have to have clover on the Sata (not NVME) but you also need the drivers in the clover folder as per the install instructions.
I have clover on SSD which is first boot device, it it then directed to boot the OS on the NVME with APFS.

Make sure you are using the clover versions etc that are specified in the original posts, newer versions may need different drivers/locations.

My setup was:

Drive A: SSD 256GB - HFS+ for Mavericks (OSX 10.9.5) and EFI with CLOVER 5100
Drive B
: SSD 256GB - APFS Container with Mojave (macOS 10.14.16) @ partition 1 and Catalina (macOS 10.15.2 @ partition 2)
Drive C: NVME 256GB - HFS+ formatted with Mojave (macOS 10.14.16)

Clover show me all the options with that formats an it will boot on all partitions.
But if I format Drive C with APFS (to install Catalina) it will not.

Wheres the catch?
Edit: Can it be an issue related with my PCIe adapter brand?

Last edited:
@vbmota if the file NvmeExpressDxe-64.efi is not loaded the NVMe will not be available to install to - but if you have the drive and are formatting it, you should not Format it with APFS but follow the instructions and it will be converted to APFS during the install.
EDIT: The above is True for older versions of OSX, and I'm not certain if it is in Catalina but I suspect that it is.

Back