Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Are you in a time zone that uses a half hour in it's time zone?
If you have had OSX entries boot made since you removed them on install then afaik that indicates an update, its only on install and updates that OSX makes the changes to the bios boot entries. CFG Lock is the only other thing that effects power (not part of this build) - see here for how to and search for "CFG Lock Hackintosh" for info about it
Yep I’m in Adelaide Australia. We are utc plus 9.5 hours. I don’t think I have done any updates since initial install. Maybe I can try a reinstall on my boot disc and see if I can get it back to how it was.

Think the time is a red herring, the BIOS time gets set by the OS in UEFI (normally out by an hour or 2 in OSX, Windows sets it to a different time) - not an issue here (and you can leave it to whatever OSX sets).

But - I still think the only thing that sets OSX as a boot option is Install or Update, and I think that is a clue.
Article on how to find out when things were updated or installed - https://www.idownloadblog.com/2019/01/11/dates-app-macos-updates-mac/

As for rebuilding - its a fair piece of work, if you do and get it back working as it was ie sleep/wake without Legacy Roms enabled Id be interested in your settings to rebuild one of my 7020's to try too.

Last edited:
May I ask you to try something out that might be useful to know - the DP sound only works thru the top DP but does sleep work no matter which DP you are plugged into?
Have tried this this morning, sound works on both DP sockets using both my original config (smbios 15.1) and your configN (14.3). I have external 2.1 speakers connected to the optiplex audio line-out port (pastel green one).
Similarly, the optiplex wakes from sleep on both DP sockets with a couple of mouse/keyboard clicks using both my original config (as long as legacy roms is checked on) and your configN
The only time the DP socket i'm using seems to make a difference is when I'm using my original config with legacy roms off. In the top DP socket, the optiplex wakes by mouse/keyboard click to a black screen and requires a shutdown via the power button to reboot. In the lower DP socket, the optiplex will not wake using a mouse/keyboard click but will wake if i press the power button, though it only wakes to black screen and needs a reboot as well. That said, sometimes it takes multiple attempted mouse clicks to get it to wake so maybe i didn't press enough!

I tried adding Mac OS X as a boot option and put it first in the boot sequence (since it was probably there when it was working due to recent mojave update). I swear that the optiplex woke from sleep perfectly using my config and option roms off on the top DP socket with this boot option added. It only worked once though and I haven't been able to replicate it :banghead: I shutdown to try it on the lower DP socket and it didn't work. switched back to the top DP and didn't work. Deleted and then re-added the boot option....didn't work, so not sure what happened!

On a side note, do you think how clover/OSX designates the disks could have something to do with anything? Sometimes when i open CC and go to mount EFI, The (empty) EFI on NVME drive is designated disk0s1 and my boot ssd (one with the clover EFI partition) is disk1s1. Other times its the other way around and the boot ssd is disk0 and the NVME is disk2 or 3 (depending what the windows ssd gets named). Point is, when opening mount EFI, the disks are not always in the same order...what governs this? Could it be a factor in anything?

On another note, the time was wrong again in bios when I went in this morning, same 2.5 hours ahead of actual time here. Not sure what is causing this but time in OSX is correct on boot so i'm ignoring it!

Have tried this this morning, sound works on both DP sockets using both my original config (smbios 15.1) and your configN (14.3). I have external 2.1 speakers connected to the optiplex audio line-out port (pastel green one).
Similarly, the optiplex wakes from sleep on both DP sockets with a couple of mouse/keyboard clicks using both my original config (as long as legacy roms is checked on) and your configN
The only time the DP socket i'm using seems to make a difference is when I'm using my original config with legacy roms off. In the top DP socket, the optiplex wakes by mouse/keyboard click to a black screen and requires a shutdown via the power button to reboot. In the lower DP socket, the optiplex will not wake using a mouse/keyboard click but will wake if i press the power button, though it only wakes to black screen and needs a reboot as well. That said, sometimes it takes multiple attempted mouse clicks to get it to wake so maybe i didn't press enough!

I tried adding Mac OS X as a boot option and put it first in the boot sequence (since it was probably there when it was working due to recent mojave update). I swear that the optiplex woke from sleep perfectly using my config and option roms off on the top DP socket with this boot option added. It only worked once though and I haven't been able to replicate it :banghead: I shutdown to try it on the lower DP socket and it didn't work. switched back to the top DP and didn't work. Deleted and then re-added the boot option....didn't work, so not sure what happened!

On a side note, do you think how clover/OSX designates the disks could have something to do with anything? Sometimes when i open CC and go to mount EFI, The (empty) EFI on NVME drive is designated disk0s1 and my boot ssd (one with the clover EFI partition) is disk1s1. Other times its the other way around and the boot ssd is disk0 and the NVME is disk2 or 3 (depending what the windows ssd gets named). Point is, when opening mount EFI, the disks are not always in the same order...what governs this? Could it be a factor in anything?

On another note, the time was wrong again in bios when I went in this morning, same 2.5 hours ahead of actual time here. Not sure what is causing this but time in OSX is correct on boot so i'm ignoring it!
Bios should have uefi,ssd as the boot device, Never Osx. The only thing that uses the efi folder on the nvme drive is osx. (Big rule of efi setups is that a machine should always boot from the same efi partition, no matter how many drives there are.) If the previous state included a dual boot config then there maybe something significant in that but I don't have any clue as to what things would need consideration.

Last edited:
Bios should have uefi,sad as the boot device, Never Osx. The only thing that uses the efi folder on the nvme drive is osx. (Big rule of efi setups is that a machine should always boot from the same efi partition, no matter how many drives there are.) If the previous state included a dual boot config then there maybe something significant in that but I don't have any clue as to what things would need consideration.
I do dual boot. Have windows 10 on a separate ssd. I had that ssd in the optiplex for a couple of weeks exclusively while i waited for other parts. it was booting straight to windows via the efi partition on the windows ssd. Since installing mojave on a separate ssd, I have that ssd as the boot volume and number 1 in boot order. It boots to clover and can see the windows drive. I can boot from clover to windows no problem. Only the mojave ssd has clover in the efi but the windows ssd has its own windows EFI with boot and microsoft folders. The NVME shows an EFI folder but only has a firmware.scap file under path EFI/APPLE?EXTENSIONS/firmware.scap. I have deleted this in the past but it keeps turning up again. Same file can be found in the boot ssd EFI under same path. I didn't think it was important!

@bjay77 I'm not certain but think the issue is that the UEFI firmware and the EFI partition share data so that there is data being written to both. A boot manager like Clover manages the state of the machine depending on what OS gets booted. So that those settings that matter, get managed consistently, whereas swapping boot EFI partitions can leave the machine in a different shutdown state depending on which hard drive it last booted from, which in turn can alter the next boot. Again, a soft reply but there are threads here that deal with the issues of multi booting where you might get real info.

BIOS clock - will be set differently after a windows boot than macOS.

macOS uses whatever drive it is installed on (here the NVMe drive) EFI's partition to hold firmware updates - best leave whatever is there alone - it can never be used as a UEFI boot device as it needs to load a driver from an existing EFI boot partition before it manifests itself. (The only time I have found where this is a problem is the problem reporting script which on this sort of setup will report Clover is not installed - the workaround is to temporarily copy the clover folder from the ssd you booted from to the nvme efi parition and then run the script.)

Suspect changing drive numbers relates to dual booting.

Anybody with a RX580 and 2 monitors can tell me what the power draw is from the GPU with one monitor and then 2?
With 2 monitors I'm seeing the memory clocks going to max, and the GPU clock sticking at 600MHz on idle. It trebles the gpu power draw on idle from 12 to 36 watts as soon as I add a second (even low res) monitor.

TP-Link USB Wifi adapter for Mojave or Catalina
This is a good option for use in the USFF or SFF versions on the Dell Optiplex 7020/9020. It's not natively supported like the Fenvi cards but works when you install the correct driver. So if you have no PCIe slot to use for a Wifi adapter this is a nice option to have that doesn't cost close to 50 USD like the HB1200 and FV-T919 currently do.

Here's one testimonial I found of someone that has used it:

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, this is exactly where I am with my build. I just ordered one off of Amazon that should hopefully get here within the next few days.

Thanks @trs96 for this build guide. I was able to get my dual-boot setup done pretty easily & everything works perfectly so far in Catalina. These Haswell systems are great low-budget workstations/gaming computers.
How did you go with your 24 to 8 pin adapter from amazon? Still waiting for my moddiy cable, been almost 2 months

Still waiting for my moddiy cable, been almost 2 months
2 months from China to Australia ?? Hard to believe that it could take that long. Did you call or email the seller ?

Back